Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I wanted to know how to apply for those positions (i.e. from the firm website, from getting in touch on LinkedIn or any other way), if there's a particular process that needs to be followed, if it's better to go through recruiters or apply directly, how the interview processes for these are etc.
There is no set rules to this.

Some hiring is just done through professional networks (for instance if you have been the otherwise of a deal and the other firm thinks you are good)

Some hiring is done directly via firms’ recruitment departments.

Some hiring is done via agencies.

Recruitment processes vary massively - in a very similar way to graduate recruitment. It could be anything from a fairly informal interview to multiple stage interviews and assessments like research tasks or drafting exercises.

Unless you are coming up to qualification, I really wouldn’t worry about this yet. For anyone applying for TCs now, you won’t have to worry about this for another 4-5 years and things could be quite different by then, and very subject to where you qualifying into (department/firm) and which firms you are aiming to move to.

IT7

Esteemed Member
  • Jun 23, 2021
    There is no set rules to this.

Some hiring is just done through professional networks (for instance if you have been the otherwise of a deal and the other firm thinks you are good)

Some hiring is done directly via firms’ recruitment departments.

Some hiring is done via agencies.

Recruitment processes vary massively - in a very similar way to graduate recruitment. It could be anything from a fairly informal interview to multiple stage interviews and assessments like research tasks or drafting exercises.

Unless you are coming up to qualification, I really wouldn’t worry about this yet. For anyone applying for TCs now, you won’t have to worry about this for another 4-5 years and things could be quite different by then, and very subject to where you qualifying into (department/firm) and which firms you are aiming to move to.
    Thank you for your response! Could you please tell me any well-known agencies that deal with lateral hiring? And do they usually charge you once you contact them?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you for your response! Could you please tell me any well-known agencies that deal with lateral hiring? And do they usually charge you once you contact them?
    They don’t charge you, they charge the firm a percentage of your base salary once you are hired (usually somewhere between 15-25%).

Agencies will vary according to location, legal area you are working in etc.

Are you about the qualify in the next year? If not, please do not worry about any of this until you are at that stage.

norothrow324

Legendary Member
    Apr 11, 2023
    Are there any current (or previous) success stories of non qualified law students from abroad (foreign degree) being sponsored for a visa and succeeding in getting a direct TC? Need some motivation - slowly giving up..

Reactions: thoms

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Are there any current (or previous) success stories of non qualified law students from abroad (foreign degree) being sponsored for a visa and succeeding in getting a direct TC? Need some motivation - slowly giving up..
    I’ve recruited plenty and through TCLA know people who meet that criteria who have received offers this cycle.

Law1099

Valued Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    Why don’t you see if firms offer sponsored tc’s? I vaguely remember some stating that they do not, but you could email grad Rec and ask.

ScoUting

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jul 20, 2021
    Hello, looking for some advice. So I had an assessment center for Osborne Clarke but the night before and the morning of I contracted the norovirus and had to go to the hospital in the end so called to cancel. As it was the last AC for the Vac Scheme, it could not be re-arranged and my application was put on hold. I had already done one interview stage and presentation to get to this position so it seems a waste just to give up. I am wondering if it is worth emailing to ask if my vac scheme application could be converted to a direct TC application and how to go about doing this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hello, looking for some advice. So I had an assessment center for Osborne Clarke but the night before and the morning of I contracted the norovirus and had to go to the hospital in the end so called to cancel. As it was the last AC for the Vac Scheme, it could not be re-arranged and my application was put on hold. I had already done one interview stage and presentation to get to this position so it seems a waste just to give up. I am wondering if it is worth emailing to ask if my vac scheme application could be converted to a direct TC application and how to go about doing this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    I don't think there is any harm in asking - the worse they are going to say is no, and then you are in no different a position than you are in now.

I would try to call them and discuss it - these things are typically better conveyed over phone and you also get a clearer indication of what will happen rather than waiting for a reply to an email.

Reactions: Jaysen and ScoUting

sxw517

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    Probably splitting hairs, but what sounds better?

As a result, I am motivated to work for (firm name).

As a result, I was motivated to apply to (firm name).

newtothis

Star Member
  • Jan 2, 2022

It depends on the context of the sentence before.

If your reasoning is because you spoke to an employee at the event, then the latter sentence would be correct.

If you are referencing the firms’ marketing materials (eg. Deals they’ve done or company culture) then the former would be better I assume (but even then apply could still work).

I could totally be wrong though, but that’s my assessment of it.

• Love
    Reactions: sxw517

lolamcd1

Esteemed Member
    Feb 1, 2022
    I got a rejection post-AC for the Farrer VS a couple of months ago. During the AC, grad recruitment encouraged those rejected to reapply to direct tc in the same cycle this summer. The questions are very similar and include cover letter for example. How much do you guys recommend changing my answers or is it ok to apply with the same answers i used for the VS?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

Generally “work” as you are framing it as being a longer term commitment and you are framing it as you see yourself working at the firm.

• ℹ️
    • Love
    Reactions: newtothis, S87 and sxw517
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.