Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Just wondering, does it make you look more appealing to firms if you have already started the GDL?

And if you start the GDL without getting a TC but get an offer halfway through your GDL studies, would the firm still pay for the GDL?

Hope that make sense, basically just wondering whether it is worth me paying to start the GDL with my own money or whether this is a massive gamble.
I don't think it automatically makes you more appealing - you could be an appealing candidate anyway without it.

However, it can show a commitment to a legal career at the same time.

It will depend on the firm as to whether your course gets funded if you have already started it of your own accord. Some firms pay back fees retrospectively whether you have started or completed the course. Others may pay a pro-rata amount for the time you have left on the course. Others will not pay back anything.

The interesting thing is that the GDL is no longer a requirement - its not like you have to do it anymore. Therefore to me it is a bit of a gamble just because it isn't necessary to complete it. For some firms, they won't put future trainees through the GDL, instead opting to just do an SQE prep course.

Reactions: Scandi

born&raised

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 30, 2021
Anyone still waiting to hear from Macfarlanes? I applied a month prior to the deadline. I see that a lot of people have got replies after applying closer to the deadline - don't know what to make out of this. :(

LEL

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 22, 2020
Just wondering, does it make you look more appealing to firms if you have already started the GDL?

And if you start the GDL without getting a TC but get an offer halfway through your GDL studies, would the firm still pay for the GDL?

Hope that make sense, basically just wondering whether it is worth me paying to start the GDL with my own money or whether this is a massive gamble.
There are some firms that will pay your GDL fees retrospectively. Here is the list from a previous thread:

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Does anyone know how law firms assess written assessments and how much weight is put on them? I just finished a written assessment for a direct TC assessment centre and I was panicking because I found out I failed to pinpoint a few mistakes..... @Jessica Booker
I once had a written assessment where I missed a key issue that was right in front of my eyes- took me 5 minutes to find it while the interviewer sat in silence while I frantically scanned the assessment for answers! I still got the job 😅 Sometimes what an employer is looking for is whether you're enthusiastic and your instincts are spot on. You'll likely miss a few things and get a few things wrong- that's generally fine. What's more important is whether you're willing to approach the assessment head-on, accept where you've made a mistake or missed something, improve on this and move on.

Jammo58

Star Member
Oct 1, 2020
Has anyone heard good news from NRF? I have not received anything but thought I did quite poor at the WG despite getting very high marks/percentile all the time :(
I only just submitted my WG as the deadline is tomorrow. Have people already received rejections following WG? I assumed all of the rejections from today were post-application, not post-WG. I haven't heard anyone get invites to telephone interviews yet, which is the next stage. So I think you've got time.

kmax301

Esteemed Member
Feb 3, 2021
I only just submitted my WG as the deadline is tomorrow. Have people already received rejections following WG? I assumed all of the rejections from today were post-application, not post-WG. I haven't heard anyone get invites to telephone interviews yet, which is the next stage. So I think you've got time.
Yeah you might be right, I’ll get my pfo later:)))

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Jan 13, 2021
For those who received PFOs from NRF, do you remember when you submitted your application? I'm getting a little loopy with all this radio silence.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.