TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiremeplz

Star Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 20, 2022
I had a PFO from RPC post WG, received it on Friday!

Received it in the mailbox section of their portal, it didn't come through via email for some reason.
Okay wow, I didn't get an email either! Just logged into the portal and also got a PFO post-WG (my only WG so far too :()

ARoyle

Aug 16, 2022
I don't think it automatically makes you more appealing - you could be an appealing candidate anyway without it.

However, it can show a commitment to a legal career at the same time.

It will depend on the firm as to whether your course gets funded if you have already started it of your own accord. Some firms pay back fees retrospectively whether you have started or completed the course. Others may pay a pro-rata amount for the time you have left on the course. Others will not pay back anything.

The interesting thing is that the GDL is no longer a requirement - its not like you have to do it anymore. Therefore to me it is a bit of a gamble just because it isn't necessary to complete it. For some firms, they won't put future trainees through the GDL, instead opting to just do an SQE prep course.

Whilst the GDL or PGDL is no longer a requirement when doing the SQE route. The universities are still telling students that they need to do the conversion course first, and firms have already said that they prefer that non-law graduates do a conversion course, regardless of it being a requirement or not.

iamJW

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Dec 21, 2019
Does anyone have any advice for a Macfarlanes AC for a direct TC? Apart from being in-person and not having a group exercise it seems pretty similar to the VS ACs 🤔

IRO

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer 5
Jan 21, 2021
Does anyone have any advice for a Macfarlanes AC for a direct TC? Apart from being in-person and not having a group exercise it seems pretty similar to the VS ACs 🤔
The structure is similar but the exercises themselves are tougher for the TC (eg the exercises are longer/about more challenging topics for the TC assessments)

• ℹ️
Reactions: iamJW

failedlegallyblonde

Standard Member
Mar 7, 2022
Does anyone have any experience or insight regarding studying the LPC online (at either uni of law or BPP) compared to in person? I am considering studying the LPC online to save on tuition costs and travel expenses but I am worried that my learning experience could be negatively impacted. Any advice would be appreciated, thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.