TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Payne4321

Premium Member
Jun 24, 2021
The current market also could include the other PESTLE factors (sociological, technological, legal, environmental).

I think you are of the right track with versatility. I would try to look at something more specific than commercial awareness though, as this will be something lawyers have always needed (it wouldn’t be unique to the current circumstances) and it is quite a broad (and overused) term. I would try to find something maybe more specific to now than would have been 10-15 years ago to ensure you nail the question.
Perfect, thank you Jessica!

Bradley Draper

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 11, 2020
How long do people think their answers should be at an interview in response to generic questions, such as 'why law', 'why commercial law' and 'why this firm'?

Would 1-3 minute responses be ideal?

captainhilts

Star Member
Aug 22, 2021
Hi @Jessica Booker would mooting count as "an outstanding personal achievement that added value to your academic environment"?

Specifically, I have three concerns:

1. Is mooting "academic"?
2. Is it a personal achievement?
3. What is meant by "adding value"?

Thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker would mooting count as "an outstanding personal achievement that added value to your academic environment"?

Specifically, I have three concerns:

1. Is mooting "academic"?
2. Is it a personal achievement?
3. What is meant by "adding value"?

Thank you!
1) It is a bit of a grey area but ultimately could be deemed academic, and therefore is ok to include

2) It depends what you have done and achieved in mooting. Just attending mooting training sessions is unlikely to be considered an achievement, but placing in some form of "winning" position on a moot, or being given responsibilities in a mooting context (e.g. organising events, training people, representing your university in national competitions) could all be considered an achievement.

3) By completing the achievement, has it given you something that has benefited you in life generally (although they are focusing on more so in academic environment)? E.g. has it developed a skill/knowledge/attribute/quality that you have then been able to apply to your academics which in turn has improved your academic performance?

stone’sthrow

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Nov 9, 2019
    Hi everyone,

I had a question related to references for TC applications.

I graduated in 2020 and have been working since then, and unfortunately didn't keep in touch with my lecturers/tutors. I would have no problem getting a work reference but an academic one might be a little tricky...

I saw @Jessica Booker mention in another thread somewhere that simply putting the university's office details would suffice, I just wanted to ask if anyone has done this before or if it's fairly common practice? I'm just hoping it doesn't seem odd - or like a strike against my application if I wasn't able to secure an academic reference...
    Could you email the ones you haven’t kept in touch with and say you were in their class and explain briefly why you have no one else to contact? Could academic be a tutor from a GDL/LPC course (not sure if you did one of these)? I was the same as you and could only use a uni tutor from 2018, and I emailed them recently and they replied even though it’s been 4 years. I wrote a long email asking them how they were and mentioned something that would possibly make them remember me. For example, your personal tutor from university. Otherwise I would personally contact the head of the course, as they can hopefully write a reference based on looking at your record of enrolment and say ‘even though I didn’t teach them personally etc’. I’m not sure that putting the admin email would work as admin offices are really busy and I don’t know that they could give a substantial reference that’s not just confirming you were a student but that’s just my university. Even for confirming you were a student it’s usually an academic transcript that’s used. When I did my pre-employment screening for a recent internship I put the office email for the screening company to contact to confirm I was a student and they never got back to the company at all. So I would be hesitant to put the university office email.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    References are a minefield no matter who you put down.

Putting down individual tutors etc can be just as unpredictable regarding them returning 1) anything at all or 2) any substance, and especially if that tutor has left the university. Some will not be able to provide a reference once they have left an institution either - they won’t have access to your records/file and relying on remembering you is particularly tricky if you are one of thousands of students they have taught.

Just provide the most reasonable reference you have. If that’s the faculty’s admin office that is fine/if it is a person tutor that is fine too. References these days tend to be fairly standardised/minimum information anyway and it’s really just to verify your performance at university (eg a summary of your grades and attendance).

Reactions: SS21

okital42

Standard Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 30, 2021
    Did anyone get a response from Trowers?
    Heard back just a few mins ago for the 2024 trowers TC lmao, rejected for the TC (rejected after the initial app) but the email said they were "impressed by my application and want me to apply to the 2023 vac scheme" - is this just a generic response they dish out? I assume it is.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.