TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawstress

Star Member
Nov 24, 2021
Hi @Jessica Booker, I just had a question if you could provide any insight. Once you've secured a TC, is it normal to not hear from the firm for a while or do they usually stay in regular communication with you? Like I signed the contract for my TC (which starts in 2024) and sent it over a few weeks ago, and I haven't really heard back since. Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker, I just had a question if you could provide any insight. Once you've secured a TC, is it normal to not hear from the firm for a while or do they usually stay in regular communication with you? Like I signed the contract for my TC (which starts in 2024) and sent it over a few weeks ago, and I haven't really heard back since. Thanks!
Not hearing anything for a few weeks, especially at this time of year is very normal. Many firms do stay in contact with their trainees, but this tends to only be every 2-3 months with general updates rather than 1-2-1 communication.

If you are concerned, send your firm and email and just ask whether they need any further information from you at this stage relating to your offer.

Reactions: lawstress

lawstress

Star Member
Nov 24, 2021
Not hearing anything for a few weeks, especially at this time of year is very normal. Many firms do stay in contact with their trainees, but this tends to only be every 2-3 months with general updates rather than 1-2-1 communication.

If you are concerned, send your firm and email and just ask whether they need any further information from you at this stage relating to your offer.
Thank you!

samni

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 2, 2020
Hi, does anyone have any insight on when to update an app with additional information? I submitted the TC app in July and started a role in September (had already completed 2 stages of the TC process by then). I've actually now finished the final partner interview and mentioned the role a couple of times when asked at that stage. Is it worth updating the app now on the system now just in case (there's an option on AllHires) or is there no point? All interviews were done CV blind but I've just noticed the option to add

@Jessica Booker

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 26, 2022
I have work experience at a US firm with a small intake in London. I am hoping to apply to A&O for a direct training contract. Within the work experience entry for the US firm, do I need to explain why I am applying to a firm with a much larger trainee intake? Thanks

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi, does anyone have any insight on when to update an app with additional information? I submitted the TC app in July and started a role in September (had already completed 2 stages of the TC process by then). I've actually now finished the final partner interview and mentioned the role a couple of times when asked at that stage. Is it worth updating the app now on the system now just in case (there's an option on AllHires) or is there no point? All interviews were done CV blind but I've just noticed the option to add

@Jessica Booker
I wouldn’t worry about this - I don’t think there is a need to update it, although you could do so (no issue if you do at the same time).

Reactions: samni

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I have work experience at a US firm with a small intake in London. I am hoping to apply to A&O for a direct training contract. Within the work experience entry for the US firm, do I need to explain why I am applying to a firm with a much larger trainee intake? Thanks
No - there is no need to do this. Just focus on what you did/gained from the experience, rather than trying to explain why you are motivated for A&O.

ssolicitorz

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Aug 3, 2021
is it ok to talk about a deal that the london office wasnt engaged with? this deal really demonstrates several reasons why im interested in the firm and hence keen to talk about it but unfortunately london office was not involved

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
is it ok to talk about a deal that the london office wasnt engaged with? this deal really demonstrates several reasons why im interested in the firm and hence keen to talk about it but unfortunately london office was not involved
It will depend on how it is positioned and the sub-reasons you mention. If there is a way to say how the deal impacts the training opportunity in London/the Uk, then this could be ok.

Polaranu

Star Member
Jun 7, 2022
Hi all! At my final partner interview on Monday they said they would let us know if the outcome by the end of the week. I still haven’t heard anything 🥺

Is it worth sending an email tomorrow or shall I take it as a rejection waiting to be sent? Thank you!

B A

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Dec 4, 2020
Hi all! At my final partner interview on Monday they said they would let us know if the outcome by the end of the week. I still haven’t heard anything 🥺

Is it worth sending an email tomorrow or shall I take it as a rejection waiting to be sent? Thank you!
From my experience, it's not uncommon for it to take longer than initially expected to find out about an interview outcome, so don't assume its a rejection. Just email them tomorrow asking for an update. Good luck!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

I’d probably wait until late Wednesday or early Thursday before following up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.