TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlaw2023

Oct 25, 2022
Hi guys, I've heard from the grapevine that slaughter doesn't take anyone with a grade average below 68%. I have some mitigating circumstances for my second year and averaged a 64%. Is it worth applying?

RANDOTRON

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 11, 2021
    Hi guys, I've heard from the grapevine that slaughter doesn't take anyone with a grade average below 68%. I have some mitigating circumstances for my second year and averaged a 64%. Is it worth applying?
    I would say apply anyways. 64% is a solid grade and I will say it is certainly more about the quality of your application. Mention your mitigating circumstance if you need to. If this is a firm that you genuinely want to go to, why count yourself out? You won't know what the outcome will be if you applied – you might end up getting through or you might not. One thing is for certain: if you don't apply, you definitely won't get through. Make them say 'no' to you rather than you saying 'no' to yourself.

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    I have work experience at a US firm with a small intake in London. I am hoping to apply to A&O for a direct training contract. Within the work experience entry for the US firm, do I need to explain why I am applying to a firm with a much larger trainee intake? Thanks

You absolutely don't need to do this in the work experience section but you may be asked this in interviews. I was asked about this in my direct TC interview in the context of my work experience at a boutique Indian firm and why I was motivated to not only move to larger, UK-based law firms.

You could be asked a similar question as a way to test your motivations for moving into a UK firm with larger intake and whether you've considered how this may impact your training contract, but I wouldn't worry about this at the application stage.

sandralai

Standard Member
    Oct 14, 2021
    I understood from last year that CC prefers penultimate year law students or final year non-law students. Asked grad rec before but they just pointed me to the standard CC website. Can anyone confirm if this is still the case this year or have they changed their policy? Thanks!

DTB

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 21, 2019
    For those who have submitted an application to A&O and been succesful, any tips on how to approach Why do you want to become a commercial lawyer at A&O and what do you think are the key skills and qualities required for success? (250 words)

I am confused as to 1. whether for the first part we need to mention why commercial law, and 2. for the second part whether we should generally talk about what skills are needed or a one line on I believe xyz skills are needed and then give examples of how you achieved the skill? 3. Hoe many skills is good to mention? I would say 3 but the word limit is so less for both parts

Any advice from @Jessica Booker ?

Thank you so much!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    For those who have submitted an application to A&O and been succesful, any tips on how to approach Why do you want to become a commercial lawyer at A&O and what do you think are the key skills and qualities required for success? (250 words)

I am confused as to 1. whether for the first part we need to mention why commercial law, and 2. for the second part whether we should generally talk about what skills are needed or a one line on I believe xyz skills are needed and then give examples of how you achieved the skill? 3. Hoe many skills is good to mention? I would say 3 but the word limit is so less for both parts

Any advice from @Jessica Booker ?

Thank you so much!
    I would combine why commercial law and why commercial law at A&O given the tight word limit.

I would also make sure the skills/qualities you identify are specific to A&O rather than as a lawyer generally. There is no need to evidence the skills by providing explanations of how you have achieved that quality - it is more important to explain why you think they are the key skills/qualities. Some people do manage to squeeze in an exceptionally brief reference to where they have developed those skills though, especially if the evidence is really easy to identify in other aspects of the application.

• 🏆
    Reactions: AvniD
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.