TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

milliejeyes

Star Member
Mar 3, 2022
Hey I got this mail too. Does it mean we are in the running for an interview or does it mean that they have genuinely not reviewed our application?
I’m not sure, I received a PFO from them on Friday for direct TC. I suppose if you haven’t heard yet they are either considering you for interview or haven’t read your app yet

Ghassen

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 24, 2022
How did it go for you? I wasn't successful after the VI stage
I didn't make it as well. However, they said that my performance was quite strong and they put me on the reserve list for the AC. It will be held on the 22nd and 23rd of February. Did you receive similar outcome or just a rejection ?

commerciallawyer2910

Esteemed Member
Dec 7, 2022
I am still waiting to hear back too. I got a mail from HR saying that they are still reviewing applications, and they asked me if I have other offers and when I have to respond to them. No interview is scheduled, though.
Is this the email from the 23rd January or a more recent one? I’m hoping they’re just going through the applications chronologically as I only decided to apply a day or two before the deadline.

Cambam15

Feb 4, 2023
How many rejections are normal if someone has applied to say 25 law firms? Do good applications get 5+ shortlist for ACs?
I’m asking because I want to know if anyone has received shortlists after making changes to their application post rejections the year prior— to show that the changes did help get the shortlists and it wasn’t purely luck.

asf49955

Dec 29, 2021
How many rejections are normal if someone has applied to say 25 law firms? Do good applications get 5+ shortlist for ACs?
I’m asking because I want to know if anyone has received shortlists after making changes to their application post rejections the year prior— to show that the changes did help get the shortlists and it wasn’t purely luck.
That's too many... Even though you got 10 invites, or 3 invites, you sure you have adequately prepared yourself, prepared your mind to handle these ACs? Can you enthusiatically answer the 'why us'?
Are you genuinely drawn to these firms? If you do and you really write a good application, you will definitely get 1 to 2+ ACs with, imo, 8-12/13 applications. It looks like there are a lot of firms out there but the essential thing is - the competition is fierce. Those who are really good (68%+++, outstanding CV, strong motivation) stand out where they just need 5 good applications to get 3 or 5 MC/US firms AC. But is that your case? If I weren't that competitive, I will try selling my own case with really strong motivation, and tailor-made applications.

Got 3 ACs last year, failed them all - I think motivation is the crucial factor that let me down.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I wouldn’t say there is a number - many people won’t make 25 applications in a cycle.

If I had to estimate I would say if one in six or seven of your applications gets you to a face to face assessment stage you are doing well. When I speak to people who are getting a lower ratio than this, I generally advise they are doing exceptionally well compared to the general applicant pool.

Reactions: cls33 and Cambam15
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.