Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi everyone,

With a new recruitment cycle starting in the next few weeks, we thought it best to start a new master thread to discuss direct training contract applications for the 2022-2023 application cycle.

Useful Links
TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23 | The Corporate Law Academy Forum (for vacation scheme applicants)
TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1) | The Corporate Law Academy Forum (last cycle's direct training contract thread)

Best of luck to everyone for this upcoming cycle

Thanks,

Jess

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Withers TC! 🎉
Amazing news - congratulations! What a great addition to have as one of the first posts in the new thread!

Clap Applause GIF

BM99

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Sep 12, 2021
Does anyone know how law firms assess written assessments and how much weight is put on them? I just finished a written assessment for a direct TC assessment centre and I was panicking because I found out I failed to pinpoint a few mistakes..... @Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Does anyone know how law firms assess written assessments and how much weight is put on them? I just finished a written assessment for a direct TC assessment centre and I was panicking because I found out I failed to pinpoint a few mistakes..... @Jessica Booker
There is no set answer to this, unfortunately. How one firm assesses their exercise will be very different to the next firm.

What I would say though, is that it's common for these exercises to be designed in a way that the average good candidate won't pick up all the points - probably because there are quite a few of them and the time is tight. It is exceptionally rare for a candidate to identify everything in an exercise (whether that's written, a case study, group exercise etc).

Reactions: AvniD

ps213

Jul 12, 2022
Just wondering, does it make you look more appealing to firms if you have already started the GDL?

And if you start the GDL without getting a TC but get an offer halfway through your GDL studies, would the firm still pay for the GDL?

Hope that make sense, basically just wondering whether it is worth me paying to start the GDL with my own money or whether this is a massive gamble.

Scandi

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 28, 2021
    Just wondering, does it make you look more appealing to firms if you have already started the GDL?

And if you start the GDL without getting a TC but get an offer halfway through your GDL studies, would the firm still pay for the GDL?

Hope that make sense, basically just wondering whether it is worth me paying to start the GDL with my own money or whether this is a massive gamble.
    A GDL clearly shows commitment to the law, which I think has helped my applications. If you do well on the GDL, that will also elevate your application.

Usually, firms do not pay GDL fees retrospectively, but I think this can vary between firms.

ps213

Jul 12, 2022
    A GDL clearly shows commitment to the law, which I think has helped my applications. If you do well on the GDL, that will also elevate your application.

Usually, firms do not pay GDL fees retrospectively, but I think this can vary between firms.
    Thanks so much for this, really helpful to know! 🙏

Reactions: Scandi
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.