TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

ineedadvice445

Jun 22, 2022
Unfortunately I’m pretty sure that’s standard practice. There’s generally no guarantee that you’ll be kept on after your TC, or that you’ll get your first choice practice area if you are.
is interviewing for an NQ role common as well though? My thoughts was that if a firm had openings they would let you know, although there was no guarantee you'd get first choice etc. However I didn't think you would have to send an application and interview (like the TC process all over again!)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
is interviewing for an NQ role common as well? My thoughts was that if a firm had openings they would let you know, although there was no guarantee you'd get first choice etc. However I didn't think you would have to send an application and interview (like the TC process all over again!)
It won't be as extensive as a TC process, mainly because the evidence from your time during the TC can be used to support your case as to whether to be offered a NQ role or not.

However, interviewing for NQ roles is fairly normal - not all firms do it, but many do. They are particularly used when they want to be sure you are committed to the team (the last thing they want is for you to take an NQ role and then leave six months later) and/or if they have a choice of trainees to choose from.

Wait until you see what the partner promotion process can look like for many firms - makes securing an NQ role look like child's play!

AnxiousApplicant

Jan 29, 2021
Oh maybe there’s a slight delay at the London office then? I’ve applied for the Birmingham office and I’ve got my AC date as of Friday just gone.

Sounds positive if you’ve been selected before hand though, fingers crossed you’ll hear back and it’s good news!
I am bit concerned now since I also applied for the Birmingham office but got nothing other than the email telling me they are still reviewing applications last Wednesday. I guess it is a silent no then.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Freshfields TC!! Got the call 2 weeks ago but accepted yesterday! Thank you to everyone on this forum for all the help!
Amazing news - congratulations!!

take that good job GIF

Reactions: Jedward87
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.