TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

sxw517

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    If a law firm tells you that you've passed their WG (and you only achieved the 65th percentile), does this mean they will still take into account your score compared to other applicants?

Or as I hope it is, that you've passed and that's it?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    If a law firm tells you that you've passed their WG (and you only achieved the 65th percentile), does this mean they will still take into account your score compared to other applicants?

Or as I hope it is, that you've passed and that's it?
    Could be either. Really depends on the firms process and whether they add your WG score to your application and then review it, or whether an application review was done before asking you to do the WG.

dagonaggo11

Dec 5, 2022
    Hi! I submitted an application for a TC at Hogan Lovells a few weeks ago.. just today received an invitation to complete a Watson Glaser test.

I'm a non-law graduate trying to convert, and what I'm wondering is: do they invite /all/ candidates to do a WG test? Or is that an indicator that I passed some sort of initial screening? If the latter, of course, that would be sort of encouraging for me. I'm new to all of this :).

Thanks!

B A

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 4, 2020
    Hi! I submitted an application for a TC at Hogan Lovells a few weeks ago.. just today received an invitation to complete a Watson Glaser test.

I'm a non-law graduate trying to convert, and what I'm wondering is: do they invite /all/ candidates to do a WG test? Or is that an indicator that I passed some sort of initial screening? If the latter, of course, that would be sort of encouraging for me. I'm new to all of this :).

Thanks!
    I don't know about the TC process, but for the VS the WG is sent to everyone.

annakat

Feb 23, 2022
    For Clifford Chance - one of their application questions is "In no more than 400 words tell us about your extra-curricular activities, positions of responsibility and an achievement of importance which you are most proud of."

I had applied to their SPARK scheme last year where the exact same question was asked (I was unsuccessful in my application, but was amongst those who were invited for a session with GradRec at the start of this application season). Since then I've had developments in extra-curriculars and positions of responsibility, but the achievement I mentioned in the SPARK application continues to be the one I am most proud of. Would it be bad to re-use the same achievement for the last part of this question?

[I remember them mentioning that the applications in each cycle are considered afresh, but I worry that since it's likely to be the same set of people reviewing the application, repeating the answer may come across as lacking initiative, etc.]

BM99

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 12, 2021
    Hi @Jessica Booker , I just found out that in the work experience section, when I should be writing about Linklaters' open day, I accidentally wrote Freshfields for once in the job description (other than that it is all consistent with Linklaters). Will that cause a significant impact on my application, or should I flag it up?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker , I just found out that in the work experience section, when I should be writing about Linklaters' open day, I accidentally wrote Freshfields for once in the job description (other than that it is all consistent with Linklaters). Will that cause a significant impact on my application, or should I flag it up?
    I don't think there is any benefit in flagging it, unfortunately. How much it is seen as an error is very difficult to predict unfortunately.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.