TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

AB141

Standard Member
Premium Member
Dec 8, 2019
Freshfields Spring 2024 AC invite!! Would be grateful for any tips!
Hey, congratulations, and good luck!! I was wondering whether the WG invite was an automatic step upon submission of the application, or whether it was the next stage. I know usually it is the latter, but I saw some conflicting info on this on here and was hoping you could confirm, please?

Reactions: learner

Andysandys

Junior Lawyer
Jul 25, 2019
Hey, congratulations, and good luck!! I was wondering whether the WG invite was an automatic step upon submission of the application, or whether it was the next stage. I know usually it is the latter, but I saw some conflicting info on this on here and was hoping you could confirm, please?
Thank you so much! :) I don’t know unfortunately, the wording of the WG invite made me think that it was an automatic email but I’m not sure..

The Lincoln Lawyer_66

Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 25, 2022
    Hey!

I did the CC WG yesterday, and a couple of things did not go as per what the WG invite mail says:

The mail says- "To start the test please log into the Clifford Chance application centre, via the link below, with the username and password used to submit your application. Please ensure you use the same email address that you used to submit your application otherwise we will not receive your result." I did not have to put my login credentials, and the test started straightaway.

Also, the mail says- "At the end of the test, once the timer has finished there will be some equal opportunity questions. You do not need to answer these, but you do have to go through this section and then click submit or your test score will not register. You will not receive a notification or email confirming the test has been submitted. There will be a pop up on the web browser saying, 'thank you for your response' and you should take this as confirmation of your test submission." I did not receive any equal opportunity questions. However, I directly got the "thank you for your response" web page.

I haven't received the test report from CC until now. If I open the link again, it says that the form is already submitted. I'm p sure I'm overthinking - but I do I need to email gradrec about these things not going the way mentioned in the email?
    Hi, Yes, I received the same message on completion today. I assume its been safely received. The email containing the WG link states that "You will receive confirmation from us as to whether you have progressed to the next stage, application review, within three working days".

Based on that I would wait for their response as per the above and if no response is received within 3 working days then follow up.

The Lincoln Lawyer_66

Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 25, 2022
    Anyone know where to put mitigating circumstances on the Clifford Chance TC application?
    Hi, I believe there is a "context" section dedicated to COVID-19 impacting uni grades on the Application Questions page and there is a "personal circumstances that may have disrupted your studies" section on the Education page of the application form.

Hope that helps. Thanks.

Reactions: B A

The Lincoln Lawyer_66

Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 25, 2022
    Thank you so much! :) I don’t know unfortunately, the wording of the WG invite made me think that it was an automatic email but I’m not sure..
    Hi, Congrats! I believe Freshfields send the WG link after GradRec has initially reviewed your application. As I understand, it is the next stage. This is in contrast to Clifford Chance where the WG is sent automatically once your application has been submitted. Thanks.

Dumbledore

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 15, 2022
    Hello everyone, I applied yesterday to Clifford Chance’s training contract. I received an email saying I will get the Watson Glaser test in another email in the next 2 working days. Two working days could mean Monday but the test needs to be completed by Sunday. Does anyone know when do they usually send the Watson Glaser email? Thank you

kab

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 15, 2020
    Hello everyone, I applied yesterday to Clifford Chance’s training contract. I received an email saying I will get the Watson Glaser test in another email in the next 2 working days. Two working days could mean Monday but the test needs to be completed by Sunday. Does anyone know when do they usually send the Watson Glaser email? Thank you
    I got mine a few hours later. Maybe check your spam folder? If not, I’d recommend reaching out to grad rec and asking them to send you the link.

bibss

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 28, 2020
    SLAUGHTER AND MAY INTERVIEW INVITE! A huge thank you to Jessica and the entire TCLA community for all your help :)

Please DM if you have attended the Slaughter and May AC in the past and have any tips. Thank you!

I also had a few questions about the process -

1) Slaughter and May is currently taking interviews too. Since my interview is scheduled for March and offers are rolling, will that put me at a disadvantage? [March was the earliest slot I could pick]

2) I was planning to submit 6-7 more applications until February. However, Slaughter and May is one of my top choice firms, so I do not want the application writing to hamper my interview preparation. How many applications would you recommend writing? And would you recommend focusing on just the interview or continuing to write applications too?
    Hi, congrats on your interview invite 🥳 🥳 🥳 🥳 I am yet to hear from them, but applied quite late (22 Nov) so not too hopeful.

I think you won't be at disadvantage by doing your interview in March! If you do well and they like you, they'll give you an offer no matter how late or early your interview is.

From personal experience, I absolutely would NOT stop writing other applications and only focus on this interview if I were you. Don't put all your eggs in one basket!!!! There are so many factors that make firms decide on a candidate, even if you prepare for 3 months and smash the interview they could still reject you because the interviewer did not like your personality or because they think you would not fit in. I suggest you dedicate 1 day a week to your interview prep and the rest to your applications :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: traineesolicitor123

CorpLawyer00

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 8, 2022
    Hi, congrats on your interview invite 🥳 🥳 🥳 🥳 I am yet to hear from them, but applied quite late (22 Nov) so not too hopeful.

I think you won't be at disadvantage by doing your interview in March! If you do well and they like you, they'll give you an offer no matter how late or early your interview is.

From personal experience, I absolutely would NOT stop writing other applications and only focus on this interview if I were you. Don't put all your eggs in one basket!!!! There are so many factors that make firms decide on a candidate, even if you prepare for 3 months and smash the interview they could still reject you because the interviewer did not like your personality or because they think you would not fit in. I suggest you dedicate 1 day a week to your interview prep and the rest to your applications :)
    I know S&M is rolling but do you think it makes a big diff when u apply? im about to submit literally now! ahahha

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Anyone has the questions for Hogan Lovells direct TC application?
    We set our standards high, and we trust our people to hold themselves accountable for meeting other people's expectations. Describe a time when you had to drop everything and really 'raise your game' in order to keep a promise you had made to someone else. How did you manage both this and your other commitments?
    Max 250 words

Sustaining a successful and profitable practice requires both commercial awareness and innovative thinking. Tell us about something that you have done that shows you have a strong innovative or entrepreneurial spirit.
    Max 250 words

Tell us about any open days and events that you have attended in the legal sector (250 words max)

Detail below any further information you would like us to consider when reviewing your application 250 words max

Reactions: bibss

bibss

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 28, 2020
    We set our standards high, and we trust our people to hold themselves accountable for meeting other people's expectations. Describe a time when you had to drop everything and really 'raise your game' in order to keep a promise you had made to someone else. How did you manage both this and your other commitments?
    Max 250 words

Sustaining a successful and profitable practice requires both commercial awareness and innovative thinking. Tell us about something that you have done that shows you have a strong innovative or entrepreneurial spirit.
    Max 250 words

Tell us about any open days and events that you have attended in the legal sector (250 words max)

Detail below any further information you would like us to consider when reviewing your application 250 words max
    Thank you Jessica - you’re a life saver 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

What would you suggest including in the 4th question? I’m thinking awards, positions of responsibility/extracurriculars and interests?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you Jessica - you’re a life saver 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

What would you suggest including in the 4th question? I’m thinking awards, positions of responsibility/extracurriculars and interests?
    Seen a whole host of things included in this question. I would just include anything you think is relevant and that you haven’t had a chance to demonstrate elsewhere in the application.

Reactions: bibss
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.