TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

traineesolicitor123

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 16, 2022
    How much should interview answers differ from what's written in an application? For example- if I have mentioned "why commercial law" in my application already, is it fine if my interview answer to this question is the same? Or does there need to be a major change to this answer?

j.s.cox

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 29, 2022
    How much should interview answers differ from what's written in an application? For example- if I have mentioned "why commercial law" in my application already, is it fine if my interview answer to this question is the same? Or does there need to be a major change to this answer?
    I don't think the answer should be different necessarily, it should just be a little more developed than your application answer.

traineesolicitor123

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 16, 2022
    I don't think the answer should be different necessarily, it should just be a little more developed than your application answer.
    Hi, thank you for your response! By "more developed" do you mean it should be explained in more detail? Or should there be additional layers of reasons added? And can the reasoning mentioned in the application be mentioned at all in the interview, or will that seem repetitive?

j.s.cox

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 29, 2022
    Hi, thank you for your response! By "more developed" do you mean it should be explained in more detail? Or should there be additional layers of reasons added? And can the reasoning mentioned in the application be mentioned at all in the interview, or will that seem repetitive?
    Your reason for choosing law is unlikely to have significantly changed by the time you reach an interview. I would use your original answer as a skeleton and build on it. That could mean a more detailed explanation, or you may have had additional experiences that could add value.

For example:
    • In an initial application you could have written that you chose law because of your studies which made you seek further experiences in the legal sector. In an interview, youcould add more depth to this by:
      • Building on this explanation:
        • What did you study?
        • Why did you study that?
        • Why did it interest you in law?
        • What were your next steps to ensure law was right for you?
        • What experiences in the legal sector did you seek out?
        • Why did you enjoy/not enjoy these experiences?
        • How did these experiences shape the type of law you wanted to do?
        • How have these experiences shaped your understanding of what lawyers do?
      • Adding to this explanation:
        • What experiences have you done since this application?
        • Did you miss anything out in your explanation? Was there a step between choosing law for your studied and seeking further experiences?

Obviously this differs depending on what application question you are referring to. For example, if you had to answer a question on a news story, it is probably less relevant by the time you get to interview. You will want to know how that story has developed and you will probably want another more recent news story up your sleeve.

Hopefully that's a bit clearer? I'm no expert though.

hopefullawyer123

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 25, 2020
    Hi all,

I applied to HL (Hogan Lovells) 6 days ago on the 13th and still haven’t been invited to do the WG. Should I be worried? I have read that this test is usually automatic after an application submission

lawyering

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 29, 2020
    Hi all,

I applied to HL (Hogan Lovells) 6 days ago on the 13th and still haven’t been invited to do the WG. Should I be worried? I have read that this test is usually automatic after an application submission
    Hey, yes I believe the test is automatic but will be sent manually by grad rec, so won’t arrive in your inbox right after you submitted.

But maybe email them just in case it’s been missed, since things get so busy close to the holidays!

jomar

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 20, 2022
    I got 21st percentile for Linklaters WG. Am I out of the running? Funny thing is I got 75th percentile for CC TC and passed. So strange how this test is.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I got 21st percentile for Linklaters WG. Am I out of the running? Funny thing is I got 75th percentile for CC TC and passed. So strange how this test is.
    They can often have different weighting on the different categories of the WG or be using very different norm groups (the groups you are assessed against to get the percentile ranking), which could be why the percentile rankings are so different from one another.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.