TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Estupiña Colada

Feb 3, 2023
Writing an answer to: 'Tell us about a challenge you have overcome that showcases your ambition and drive.'

Does anyone have any advice about potential areas to focus on or to stay away from? I've never answered a question like this before on an application.

Thank :)

prospectiveswitcher

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Aug 18, 2022
I agree! It was very intense and the type of questions was confusing. Also, the main statement is always changeable which means you have to read it every time.

Just finished it. I'm a bit worried you've said 'the main statement is always changeable' - I didn't see this? There tended to be 2-3 questions per statement. Did the statement change slightly during the questions?

Also another quick question for anyone that did it - I actually had time left over at the end so was reviewing my answers. I was on the last page to submit but I technically 'timed out' and did not hit Submit at the end. Will my answers still be counted/logged? It changed to a window saying 'the test has now ended, you may close this window' or something similar.

@Jessica Booker ?

Unknown

Mar 3, 2022
Hey everyone - need some advice. I've got a final stage interview coming up for a TC which is due to last approx 90 mins. They told me that I will be asked to give a short presentation and answer questions on a topic provided to me at the start of the interview and given no other details. I have never done anything like this before and so I'm really nervous and don't really know how I'm meant to prepare for something like this. Any advice would be so appreciated!

commerciallawyer2910

Esteemed Member
Dec 7, 2022
Just finished it. I'm a bit worried you've said 'the main statement is always changeable' - I didn't see this? There tended to be 2-3 questions per statement. Did the statement change slightly during the questions?

Also another quick question for anyone that did it - I actually had time left over at the end so was reviewing my answers. I was on the last page to submit but I technically 'timed out' and did not hit Submit at the end. Will my answers still be counted/logged? It changed to a window saying 'the test has now ended, you may close this window' or something similar.

@Jessica Booker ?
I didn’t notice the statements change slightly

wiinghann

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2022
Hi hi! I just typed my name and personal statement into a Word doc and submitted it along with the application form. Have been progressed to the WG stage (this is for their Asia/London TC) so I guess it should be ok not using the template.
Hi, may I ask what was the outcome? Got an initial call two weeks ago but still haven't heard back from them.

Inquisitive

Star Member
Sep 1, 2022
Hi guys,

I wanted to know how heavy Paul Hastings' emphasis is on academics? I have 3 Bs at A Level, and a First-Class degree at a non RG university. I have completed a mentorship scheme with them and attended an insight day, last year. I have also visited their office on two occasions. Should I still apply? I'd hate to put in all the work on an application, only for it to get tossed immediately because of my A levels.

Thanks!

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 26, 2022
Hi guys,

I wanted to know how heavy Paul Hastings' emphasis is on academics? I have 3 Bs at A Level, and a First-Class degree at a non RG university. I have completed a mentorship scheme with them and attended an insight day, last year. I have also visited their office on two occasions. Should I still apply? I'd hate to put in all the work on an application, only for it to get tossed immediately because of my A levels.

Thanks!
Hi, from a quick look on their Chambers Student profile, it says high grades, however, this is accompanied by “But the firm takes a holistic approach to hiring and will look at candidates in the round and so encourages candidates to apply if they have not obtained the top grades.”
So it looks like you’re good to apply ☺️

• Wow
Reactions: Inquisitive

Inquisitive

Star Member
Sep 1, 2022
Hi, from a quick look on their Chambers Student profile, it says high grades, however, this is accompanied by “But the firm takes a holistic approach to hiring and will look at candidates in the round and so encourages candidates to apply if they have not obtained the top grades.”
So it looks like you’re good to apply ☺️
Many thanks, you've raised my hopes😅

• 🤝
Reactions: HopefulFutureTrainee123

MVM

Aug 15, 2022

@Jessica Booker ?
I think your answers are automatically saved. I'm in the same situation. I hope and pray that's the case. #fingerscrossed

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Still have not heard back from Linklaters. Almost been two weeks since they started inviting people to the AC. @Jessica Booker is it possible for my application to have gotten lost in the system, or should I just assume it’s a rejection?
Doubt it’s been lost - maybe just forgotten about or on hold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.