TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Untilwinter

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2020
I applied to a firm for a VS and managed to get past the application round but pfo after VI. I am applying to the same firm for TC during the same cycle because the firm allows that. In this case, would I need to make changes to my application/cover letter? or is it ok for me to submit the same one?
Hi @Jessica Booker,

I'd greatly appreciate your advice on this

AI

Star Member
Nov 3, 2020
I've been a private tutor for four years since graduating. Any idea what transferable skills this has to law?
I can think of 3:
1. Definitely interpersonal skills i.e. active listening, effective communication skills as you helped your tutees with their problems - link back to law where you need to communicate efficiently with your clients to foster trust, also need to communicate effectively with your supervisor when being delegated tasks.
2. Creative problem-solving skills as well: if you were constantly thinking of new ways to provide better client service i.e. new ways of teaching methods so that the student can understand and adapting to different teaching styles - link back to law where trainees should be solution-oriented and look for long-term opportunities for a client; tailoring your advice to that specific client.
3. Attention to detail or detail-oriented as, when marking you students' work, it needs to be delivered to a high standard to ensure accuracy - link back to law where you need to ensure that any work you complete is accurate when conducting work for a client as, if not, it will reflect unfavourably on the firm and on you.

Hope this helps!

jo123

Star Member
Premium Member
  • Nov 29, 2019
    I've been a private tutor for four years since graduating. Any idea what transferable skills this has to law?
    Being adaptable - changing lesson plans to cater to the understanding of your tutee
    client orientated- being able to explain tough concepts in a simplistic matter depending on the understanding of the tutee

hopefullawyer123

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 25, 2020
    Hi all,

I would value some advice. I have an AC coming up in 2 weeks, I’ve done AC’s before so I have prepared the typical type of questions that appear aswell as more firm-specific ones.

However, when I use resources from TCLA or even commercial law academy such as ‘120/200 questions to prepare for law firm interviews’ for example - I find them really overwhelming. It always feels like there’s another question to prepare for/ a question I’ve missed out. It naturally makes you lose confidence.

Does anyone have similar thoughts/ know how to avoid feeling this way?

hopefulfuturetrainee24

Jan 17, 2023
    Hi all,

I would value some advice. I have an AC coming up in 2 weeks, I’ve done AC’s before so I have prepared the typical type of questions that appear aswell as more firm-specific ones.

However, when I use resources from TCLA or even commercial law academy such as ‘120/200 questions to prepare for law firm interviews’ for example - I find them really overwhelming. It always feels like there’s another question to prepare for/ a question I’ve missed out. It naturally makes you lose confidence.

Does anyone have similar thoughts/ know how to avoid feeling this way?
    If you use chat gpt you can ask them to generate interview questions for specific topics , eg ‘can you give me some questions that test commercial awareness’ or ‘can you give me some questions that test communication skills’ and it gives you around 10 for each skill, so you can focus on particular skills

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.