TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Momo

Esteemed Member
Nov 21, 2022
I think you'll need to tread carefully with that specifically, as typically in-house work you are generally doing a broader range of work (you would have more variety in the types of legal work you do) but you'd only be doing it for one client. So you would need to focus your answer on why the variety (e.g. working with different clients on the same practice area) appeals to you.
thank you!

ADKM

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 2, 2022
"Describe what you think it takes to be a successful commercial lawyer and what are some of the challenges you might face as a trainee solicitor."
@Jessica Booker how do you think I should approach this question? The word limit is 300 and I am not sure how many points do I pick out for qualities of a successful commercial lawyer and challenges as a trainee solicitor. I'm worried if I mention 2-3 points for each, I won't have the word limit to properly justify my points. Any advice would help a lot!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
"Describe what you think it takes to be a successful commercial lawyer and what are some of the challenges you might face as a trainee solicitor."
@Jessica Booker how do you think I should approach this question? The word limit is 300 and I am not sure how many points do I pick out for qualities of a successful commercial lawyer and challenges as a trainee solicitor. I'm worried if I mention 2-3 points for each, I won't have the word limit to properly justify my points. Any advice would help a lot!
I’d aim for at least two qualities and balance it with at least two challenges.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you Jessica. Would you also say when I mention these qualities and challenges, I link it back to the firm or just describe what I did to overcome them?
There is no need to link it back to the firm.

Be mindful you don't need to describe anything you have overcome either though.

Reactions: ADKM

LegalC

Star Member
Aug 23, 2022
Not sure if someone can offer an insight on this, but are trainee solicitor salaries negotiable? I’ve noticed that a couple of the firms I want to apply to for a TC are offering a much lower salary than what I’m on now (I’m an experienced paralegal), which, hypothetically, if I secured one to start in a couple years etc, I‘m going to be very financially strained, more so than I already am. I want to apply to these firms but at the same time, I’m not sure if it’s sensible to if it’s going to stretch me too thin. For context, these are medium sized firms that are fairly reputable. If anyone can offer some insight on this that would be much appreciated!

Reactions: Fosskat

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Not sure if someone can offer an insight on this, but are trainee solicitor salaries negotiable? I’ve noticed that a couple of the firms I want to apply to for a TC are offering a much lower salary than what I’m on now (I’m an experienced paralegal), which, hypothetically, if I secured one to start in a couple years etc, I‘m going to be very financially strained, more so than I already am. I want to apply to these firms but at the same time, I’m not sure if it’s sensible to if it’s going to stretch me too thin. For context, these are medium sized firms that are fairly reputable. If anyone can offer some insight on this that would be much appreciated!
I have never heard of this

p272

Standard Member
Premium Member
Mar 18, 2023
Hi @Jessica Booker -one application is asking me to 'Argue the case for and against' a particular topic. I was wondering if is there a specific way I should be approaching this in terms of layout? or any other suggestions you would have of how to organise it?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker -one application is asking me to 'Argue the case for and against' a particular topic. I was wondering if is there a specific way I should be approaching this in terms of layout? or any other suggestions you would have of how to organise it?
There isn’t a specific approach to this really. Just stick to one side and don’t hedge your bets/sit on the fence too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.