TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnboy123

Apr 8, 2023
I've been putting it off because I hate pre-recorded interviews lmfaoooo - I'll probably do it Sunday. I read some older comments from people who said you can't really prepare for it but there's no guarantee they haven't changed the questions since then. Still, I'm betting they'll ask really wildcard questions rather than the more standard ones.
Have you completed the video interview yet? I didn’t apply to Lewis Silkin but just want to see what sort of questions they ask

Zaidoz10

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 6, 2022
@Jessica Booker I am applying to a firm that has application questions such as why our firm, why law, etc. and they also have a work experience section. But the firm also requires me to attach a cover letter and CV. I’m confused about what to write in the cover letter considering pretty much all the points I would mention would already be covered by my application questions answers. Do I just put the same answers in terms of why law and why that firm in the cover letter? Thank you.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker I am applying to a firm that has application questions such as why our firm, why law, etc. and they also have a work experience section. But the firm also requires me to attach a cover letter and CV. I’m confused about what to write in the cover letter considering pretty much all the points I would mention would already be covered by my application questions answers. Do I just put the same answers in terms of why law and why that firm in the cover letter? Thank you.
I wouldn’t repeat details.

I am assuming the applications have a word limit. If so, I would just use the cover letter to cover different themes.

For instance, the “why me” questions could be split into abilities/skills and aspirations. The “why the firm question” could be split into the work they do and the firms culture/added extras outside of the job (eg firms attitude towards diversity or CSR).

legallybrunette22

Aug 3, 2022
Hi, I was wondering if I could have a little assistance with the following application question: 'Please tell us about an outstanding personal achievement which added value to either your academic or working environment.'

I am a little confused as to what is meant by 'personal' achievement- does this have to be something outside of my work or academic life? Would I be able to discuss something that I have achieved in my work life (e.g. putting a new working system into place that has benefitted the whole team)? Any clarification on how to answer these types of questions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you :)

Ghassen

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 24, 2022
Thanks for letting me know. How did you find the test and what does it consist of (apologies if the email contains instructions, but they have not invited anyone to it yet for London TC)? I applied last year and reached TI stage and the preceding step was just a WG. Curious to hear your input.
As I said, I did the test two months ago, so I don't remember too much details. However, it was similar to a situational judgment test, so nothing to prepare in advance.
I hope that could help.

Zaidoz10

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 6, 2022
I wouldn’t repeat details.

I am assuming the applications have a word limit. If so, I would just use the cover letter to cover different themes.

For instance, the “why me” questions could be split into abilities/skills and aspirations. The “why the firm question” could be split into the work they do and the firms culture/added extras outside of the job (eg firms attitude towards diversity or CSR).
The application questions do not have a word limit, so that’s why I’m a bit confused about how much information to include. I will however mostly likely separate the themes as you mentioned. Thank you.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi, I was wondering if I could have a little assistance with the following application question: 'Please tell us about an outstanding personal achievement which added value to either your academic or working environment.'

I am a little confused as to what is meant by 'personal' achievement- does this have to be something outside of my work or academic life? Would I be able to discuss something that I have achieved in my work life (e.g. putting a new working system into place that has benefitted the whole team)? Any clarification on how to answer these types of questions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you :)
Personal in this context just means something you have personally achieved - it doesn’t matter what it is/where you did it, more that it was personally achieved by you and that was important to you.

For instance was the new working system really important to you/something you went out of your way to achieve? If so, then it is ok to use, but if not, then aim for something you are particularly proud of that has brought qualities/values/skills to either your approach to academics or work.

Reactions: legallybrunette22

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
The application questions do not have a word limit, so that’s why I’m a bit confused about how much information to include. I will however mostly likely separate the themes as you mentioned. Thank you.
There is probably an element of judgement they are expecting from people then. Writing well, concisely and in a structured way, but without repetition is something I suspect they are looking for given the free limits.

Each section is an opportunity to present something, but you must try to ensure you don’t say too much - you don’t want to overload them with too much information that they forget certain points you have made by the time they finish reading your application.

O

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 27, 2019
As I said, I did the test two months ago, so I don't remember too much details. However, it was similar to a situational judgment test, so nothing to prepare in advance.
I hope that could help.
Many thanks for getting back to me and very helpful to know its in the style of a SJT rather than critical thinking.

Reactions: Ghassen

legallybrunette22

Aug 3, 2022
Personal in this context just means something you have personally achieved - it doesn’t matter what it is/where you did it, more that it was personally achieved by you and that was important to you.

For instance was the new working system really important to you/something you went out of your way to achieve? If so, then it is ok to use, but if not, then aim for something you are particularly proud of that has brought qualities/values/skills to either your approach to academics or work.
Great- thanks Jessica!

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Hi guys, I am currently applying to Goodwin and am struggling with a question.
“Identify a current commercial issue which has attracted your attention recently. Why do you consider it to be significant? Who are the key stakeholders in this situation and what are the implications for those concerned?”
By stakeholders do we mean everyone who might be impacted by the commercial issue? So do we include also consumers if, for example, the issue might lead to increased prices?
Thank you in advance

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi guys, I am currently applying to Goodwin and am struggling with a question.
“Identify a current commercial issue which has attracted your attention recently. Why do you consider it to be significant? Who are the key stakeholders in this situation and what are the implications for those concerned?”
By stakeholders do we mean everyone who might be impacted by the commercial issue? So do we include also consumers if, for example, the issue might lead to increased prices?
Thank you in advance
I would focus on "key" stakeholders - for some stories though this will be customers, so you are ok to include them if you feel this is the case.

By "key" I would focus on those most impacted by the commercial issue rather than everyone.

Reactions: S87
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.