Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker , I hope you are doing well. Could you please tell me, in an interview:

(i) For 'Why Commercial Law' - let's say I tell the interviewer that I want to do Commercial law because I like writing and putting my ideas on paper and I also explain properly where I have done this and what exactly I enjoyed during the process - should I also go into the details of how good I am at writing , for example mentioning any accolades that I may have won recognising my writing abilities? Is the last part necessary or can I leave it out in an interview?

(ii) In general, does Grad Rec like if the applicant can recite a great deal of facts + awards and other textual details verbatim or does it come across as "trying too hard" or "too polished and not relaxed and conversational enough"?

(iii)- If I am asked "Why law", should I clarify if they mean why I want to become a commercial lawyer or why I chose to study a law degree?

(iv)- Is it okay if my "Why law, why the firm and why me" answers are slightly longer than usual? I have tried chopping them down but I feel that every detail that I mention is important to me. Will the interviewer stop me midway or tell me to be brief?

Thanks in advance.
(i) be mindful that what you are mentioning isn’t always what a lawyer does (eg putting their ideas down on paper), and that writing could be also seen in many different roles. For instance, I could easily ask a follow up question like “why not something like journalism or public policy” in response to your answer. You don’t have to go into why you are good at that skill though - a brief reference is fine, but it needs to be linked more to your motivations rather than your skill set. Sometimes there is overlap where people like utilising their strengths, but you still need to focus on the motivational side of this.

(ii) if anything the opposite. They don’t want you to recite facts no matter how polished your delivery is. They want to hear you talk about things with opinions and analysis not recite facts.

(iii) yes, you can do this if you are not sure the context of what they are asking.

(iv) I would suggest keeping your answers focused. If they are long, you are potentially going to lose the message of what you are saying. It’s not really about whether the points are all important to you. It’s about prioritising your answer for impact. You need to make sure the points are going to be important to your interviewers too.

bibss

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Nov 28, 2020
I submitted my TC app to Sullivan & Cromwell 30 mins ago and already got the so-called 'holding email'. Unlike what other people have speculated on this forum in the past, I don't think receiving this email means anything in particular at this point 🤣🤣 I'd love to work in grad recruitment for a day just to get an insight of how this all works in practice!!

Mike Wazaoski

Valued Member
Premium Member
Nov 12, 2018
I submitted my TC app to Sullivan & Cromwell 30 mins ago and already got the so-called 'holding email'. Unlike what other people have speculated on this forum in the past, I don't think receiving this email means anything in particular at this point 🤣🤣 I'd love to work in grad recruitment for a day just to get an insight of how this all works in practice!!
Majority of automated responses especially if they are using the Allhires service!

Reactions: bibss

laurabeaumont

Valued Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
May 30, 2023
@Jessica Booker I have a done the Scottish Legal Diploma but am thinking of applying to some English firms - where on the application should I mentioned the diploma as a qualification, if at all (I know it won't really count for anything)? And should I mention why I'm applying for an English firm in the first place after obtaining the Scottish diploma?

Thanks
Hi @islasorna ,

Qualifications like the SLD usually go alongside university degrees (etc)! You should also definitely explain why you are switching to English firms!

Laura :)

Reactions: islasorna

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I would just add it HAS changed this year and you do need to send a CV - but ONLY for module results as there isn’t a field elsewhere on the new application system. The rest of the cv won’t be read but make sure your module results are in there.
I’ve mentioned this before on this forum and will do so again - Freshfields previously used Taleo for TC apps where the CV field was completely obsolete but this year they are using Workday for the first time. Workday is different as it doesn’t have a module results field, hence the form instructs you to upload a CV which shows your module results.
A CV wouldn’t be necessary if this is the case - just your module results as an attachment (eg a transcript).

ComplianceChange

Legendary Member
May 16, 2019
A CV wouldn’t be necessary if this is the case - just your module results as an attachment (eg a transcript).
Just got the Freshfields app over the line, actually very proud of how much progress I've made since my initial app draft (that I never sent) 3+ years ago.

Also, there is a freetext box to input module grades for university and A-level results!

Reactions: Jessica Booker
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.