TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruby98x

Aug 5, 2023
Hi guys, when preparing for interviews how do you manage to remember everything like your motivations, competencies, commercial awareness all in one as i have written out answers but when it comes to speaking it i forget most of it i just do not know how else you are meant to approach this as i am going to just look unprepared if my mind goes blank and really panicking? :(

lawapplicant

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 19, 2023
A lot of people who applied later haven’t received theirs yet. It’s not literally automatic (I received mine 3 days after submitting the application, my friend received hers 5 days after submitting) but I don’t think they review the application before sending the WG
Yes sorry, by automatic I mean everyone gets it.

LlamaLaw

Distinguished Member
Future Trainee
Sep 17, 2021
Hi guys, when preparing for interviews how do you manage to remember everything like your motivations, competencies, commercial awareness all in one as i have written out answers but when it comes to speaking it i forget most of it i just do not know how else you are meant to approach this as i am going to just look unprepared if my mind goes blank and really panicking? :(
It's natural to be nervous in interviews which can definitely make remembering everything more difficult.

My advice is that for motivations and competencies, things that are more personal than commercial awareness, are better to consider out in advance as key points, and fill in the details more naturally as part of the conversation in the interview. Having something written out in full increases the pressure on you when you forget a detail or lose your place. You know yourself, so if you give yourself a few moments before answering to remember the the motivation or competency, you can then describe it as you see fit in the interview. If you forget a detail or the order of things it doesn't matter.

Commercial awareness is definitely harder to improvise, and if you're spending less time memorising competencies and motivations it's hopefully a little easier to remember the details.

More generally, take your time with each question. If you're particularly stumped, ask if you can take a moment to gather your thoughts, or ask a clarifying question. It's hard but it does get easier with practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.