TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

gilo

Star Member
Premium Member
Jul 27, 2020
Hi,

I'm looking for a bit of reassurance/advice regarding my current situation. I have been working in audit and tax for the last 15 months and hoping to gain a TC as a career changer. However, im really struggling with the role and it's starting to impact my mental well-being so I'm unsure whether to stick it out for the sake of TC/VS applications. How detrimental would quitting be to future applications but moreover what alternative roles would be good for TC applications in the meantime if not paralegal work. P.S. I ventured down the accounting route as I failed to secure a paralegal role.

I’d suggest to start looking for roles that you would enjoy more and to think carefully about the skills you have and how they could be useful for a business/organisation. Otherwise speak to your current employer and try and find tasks or move roles that would be better suited to yourself. Law can be quite cutthroat but reaching out to recruiters can be a good place to start if you have GDL/LLB. I wouldn’t quit your job straight away personally but try and find something whilst doing your role, because it is often better to have continuity on your CV. But if your mental health is being compromised then obviously should prioritise that, tell your employer first as there is often well being and counselling services available in most organisations for this exact reason, and speak to the GP too if you haven’t already done so.

Reactions: TJames12

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Apologies if it sounds like I’m venting but I honestly don’t understand what’s taking Weil so long. It’s been over a month :(
Honestly?! I think they are waiting for people to accept their tc offer, they might have filled the spots or they are on holiday. Many people are waiting to hear back from other firms.

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Jan 13, 2021
Can't believe I'm writing this, but thrilled to share that I've accepted a TC offer at my dream firm after three years of applications. This community has been a huge source of comfort, support, and wisdom for me. A big shout out to @Jessica Booker - her brilliant mind and constant encouragement kept me going when I doubted my abilities as a career changer. Also wanted to thank @S87 @Abii @Alison C and @Raynz who became friends and incredible sources of support over the last year. If anyone on here needs a pep talk or some support, please don't hesitate to send me a DM. I'm here for you, just like many amazing people on this forum have been there for me. Thanks for everything friends!

200w.gif

Last edited:
Apologies if it sounds like I’m venting but I honestly don’t understand what’s taking Weil so long. It’s been over a month :(
I just finished a 2 month legal internship at one of the big bank; my line manager is a senior lawyer who used to work at Clifford Chance and when I told her that I was thinking of applying to Weil Gotshall & Manges she told me that her team used to joke about them and call them Weil God-awful because the associates and trainees at the firm were bad at responding to people. Weil seems to have the same rep as Davis Polk in my opinion because people seem to see them as sweatshops with d swinging contests. Which is really unfortunate because I've met some really nice people from DP!

But idk I havent't had any personal negative experiences and some of the so called "good" firms like White & Case are also horrible at responding to people. For example, last year W&C didn't tell me that I hadn't been accepted to their WVS until 5 days before the scheme started, they ignored my calls and emails despite me reaching the final stage. And when I asked for feedback on 3 different occasions from my final interview and written assignment - I received nothing, and still haven't! Similarly, other firms which are meant to be "good" like Dentons I found the trainees and associates there to be rather stand-offish and cliquey when I had a lunch meeting with them. So, make sure to keep looking at other firms during this waiting period.

I think Weil is taking a while (see what I did there ;)) because they are likely waiting to see who from their vacation schemes will accept their Weil training contract offers. If you've been on LinkedIN this week, you would have seen all the posts from people accepting TCs. So, I imagine the deadline to accept for Weil is next Friday. And then the firm has to go from there. Remember they accept UP TO 15 trainees, not 15 trainees. So, grad recruitment may find that only 9 want to stay on and they may not be that inclined to fill the full 15 (hopefully they will). Another issue is that some of the Weil vacation schemers may still be waiting for offers from other firms and they have may have asked Weil to wait a week or two and that could be delaying Weil's ability to fill their trainee spots and therefore delaying us direct TC applicants from hearing back.

Overall, I'd say just don't stress. Prepare for WVS for other firms and be optimistic, that's what I'm doing!

Reactions: Maham and spraben

EliteWhovian

Legendary Member
  • Dec 8, 2022
    Can't believe I'm writing this, but thrilled to share that I've accepted a TC offer at my dream firm after three years of applications. This community has been a huge source of comfort, support, and wisdom for me. A big shout out to @Jessica Booker - her brilliant mind and constant encouragement kept me going when I doubted my abilities as a career changer. Also wanted to thank @S87 @Abii @Alison C and @Raynz who became friends and incredible sources of support over the last year. If anyone on here needs a pep talk or some support, please don't hesitate to send me a DM. I'm here for you, just like certain amazing people on this forum have been here for me. Thanks for everything friends!

View attachment 5219
    OMG CONGRATS!!!!! Been rooting for you ever since I saw your funny gifs when I joined the forum :D Now enjoy a well-deserved break!

• Love
    Reactions: Adrian_S

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Can't believe I'm writing this, but thrilled to share that I've accepted a TC offer at my dream firm after three years of applications. This community has been a huge source of comfort, support, and wisdom for me. A big shout out to @Jessica Booker - her brilliant mind and constant encouragement kept me going when I doubted my abilities as a career changer. Also wanted to thank @S87 @Abii @Alison C and @Raynz who became friends and incredible sources of support over the last year. If anyone on here needs a pep talk or some support, please don't hesitate to send me a DM. I'm here for you, just like certain amazing people on this forum have been here for me. Thanks for everything friends!

View attachment 5219
    This is FANTASTIC news! I knew it was only a matter of time! Your perseverance and determination has really paid off!

Congratulations!!

Jimmy Fallon Yes GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

ADKM

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 2, 2022

View attachment 5219
    Huge congratulations, this is wonderful to read! You’re definitely no less than a celebrity when it comes to this forum, I especially love your GIFs 🥳🥳

• Love
    Reactions: Adrian_S
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.