TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Travoni

Legendary Member
Jan 14, 2021
Has anyone already been invited to BCLP's Assessment Centre? I realise it's relatively early in the cycle, but given that the firm reviews applications on a rolling basis, I'm curious about when their ACs start.
It is way too early for anyone to have been accepted to an AC for BCLP. I’d be surprised if candidates had not heard back from the online test.

Reactions: starman

ellwilsen

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2020
hi guys - a friend of mine has applied to the HSF winter scheme and completed the test but hasn’t had any feedback, just an email to say his application is under consideration. does this mean he has met the test benchmark? i have no experience with HSF & wondered if anyone could help ☺️

D

daisy_yawn

hi guys - a friend of mine has applied to the HSF winter scheme and completed the test but hasn’t had any feedback, just an email to say his application is under consideration. does this mean he has met the test benchmark? i have no experience with HSF & wondered if anyone could help ☺️
They normally take a few more hours ~ a day to let you know if you've met the benchmark!

Reactions: ellwilsen

confusedlawstudent

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 28, 2021
    I think you would need to really focus on the activities you did on your year abroad to sell this, rather than just the year abroad itself.

The Chess Society and Orchestra will be of interest to. Try to show your involvement and impact in these activities if you can, and try to align it to what the firm is looking for skills wise.
    Thank you so much for your quick response.

I didn't really take part in any activities during my year abroad. I attended a few of the university law society's events, which really just helped make some connections, and didn't per se improve my skills. Would chess society and orchestra therefore be of more relevance? I just don't feel like I gained many skills from either of those, whereas I feel my year abroad really helped with self-improvement. So I just don't know :((

What would you recommend?

Thanks again!

pfoapplicant

Esteemed Member
    Dec 7, 2020
    Hi all - just a quick query: if I'm answering an application question that's asking me to give details of extra-curriculars, positions of responsibility, etc, then do you reckon it's okay for me to list them in reverse chronological order (starting with the most recent at the top, and the least recent at the bottom)? I presume it is, but I thought it might be best to check on this thread :)

@Jessica Booker

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    i am applying for the taylor wessing summer 2023 VS and the first question is "tell us about any activities you have been involved with over the past 3 years that you feel has helped build your skillset. This can range from sports teams to mooting, to simply juggling responsibilities you have at home."

I was thinking of talking about my year abroad, since I went during covid and I feel like I came back a lot more confident, resilient and motivated. But do law firms care about year abroads? Or should I try to think of something else to put? I was also thinking about writing about chess society or orchestra, but again I don't know if they care about this kind of thing. I could write about mooting but I have already written about this in the next question (which about my most significant achievement).

Any guidance is much appreciated!
    You definitely can talk about your year abroad! Do walk the reader through what specific activities, challenges and experiences made you more confident, resilient and motivated. In other words, how did you get to this place? Talking about the journey, going into the detail of how you grows as a person by being a part of the chess society or orchestra is how you will make your answers stand out! And firms will care about the things that you show them you care about- this could be anything from mooting to knitting to reading, whatever it is you genuinely value.

lawstudent22

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2022
    When inputting your uni grades in the A&O application portal, there's a maximum of 20 modules you can input results for. However, it says to include all your grades. Has anyone else had the same problem? I can't figure out how to add additional spaces and I have around 30 modules to input.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi all - just a quick query: if I'm answering an application question that's asking me to give details of extra-curriculars, positions of responsibility, etc, then do you reckon it's okay for me to list them in reverse chronological order (starting with the most recent at the top, and the least recent at the bottom)? I presume it is, but I thought it might be best to check on this thread :)

@Jessica Booker
    It's a great approach to take as your reader can easily determine what you have done and when.

Some people do choose other ways - for instance, categorising them into either fields of interests (Sport, Music, Volunteering) or skills developed (Leadership, Creativity, Client-facing) but if you do choose these ways, make sure it is super clear still when you did these activities (when they started, how long for, when they ended) as this is also an important part of the information you present (which is why the reverse chronological approach can often be the most effective).

Reactions: pfoapplicant

bibss

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 28, 2020
    Hi all, does anyone have any advice on how to answer the 'please list any academic scholarships or prizes' question? This is not a compulsory question on the application I'm currently working on, but I would appreciate if someone could enlighten me on how to approach this question if you have not, for instance, won anything (😅). I did win one academic prize at school, but I no longer have evidence of it... Would it be okay to leave this question blank? I'm concerned that leaving it blank will look bad.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi all, does anyone have any advice on how to answer the 'please list any academic scholarships or prizes' question? This is not a compulsory question on the application I'm currently working on, but I would appreciate if someone could enlighten me on how to approach this question if you have not, for instance, won anything (😅). I did win one academic prize at school, but I no longer have evidence of it... Would it be okay to leave this question blank? I'm concerned that leaving it blank will look bad.
    I'd include the school prize anyway - I don't think you'll need proof of it.

It is fine to leave these questions blank though. Not everyone has these type of awards/prizes.

If this question is outside of the education section of an application form, I have also seen people include non-academic awards (e.g. awards from employers, awards from organisations like Aspiring Solicitors etc).

• 🏆
    Reactions: bibss

confusedlawstudent

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 28, 2021
    You definitely can talk about your year abroad! Do walk the reader through what specific activities, challenges and experiences made you more confident, resilient and motivated. In other words, how did you get to this place? Talking about the journey, going into the detail of how you grows as a person by being a part of the chess society or orchestra is how you will make your answers stand out! And firms will care about the things that you show them you care about- this could be anything from mooting to knitting to reading, whatever it is you genuinely value.
    This is really helpful advice, thank you so much!

• 🤝
    Reactions: AvniD

bibss

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 28, 2020
    I'd include the school prize anyway - I don't think you'll need proof of it.

It is fine to leave these questions blank though. Not everyone has these type of awards/prizes.

If this question is outside of the education section of an application form, I have also seen people include non-academic awards (e.g. awards from employers, awards from organisations like Aspiring Solicitors etc).
    Many thanks for clarifying Jessica!!

Also, do you know what this question is getting at 'Please list any Postgrad Qualifications (other than GDL and LPC)'? There is a separate section for Postgraduate Education, so not sure what they mean by postgrad qualification?! This is for Sidley Austin app btw (in case anyone is wondering).

starman

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Jan 21, 2021
    Screenshot 2022-10-04 at 21.21.33.png
    Hey everyone, I keep on having one specific problem with Apply4Law applications (ie Bird & Bird and Mayer Brown), that is, the Other grade field remains empty despite me putting a grade there and saving the page. Given that the grading of my GCSE equivalent is drastically different from that of GCSE, I cannot pick any grade in the Grade field. What should I do in this instance? Where can I put my grades - in Subject?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-10-04 at 21.20.03.png
      Screenshot 2022-10-04 at 21.20.03.png
      43.8 KB · Views: 8

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Many thanks for clarifying Jessica!!

Also, do you know what this question is getting at 'Please list any Postgrad Qualifications (other than GDL and LPC)'? There is a separate section for Postgraduate Education, so not sure what they mean by postgrad qualification?! This is for Sidley Austin app btw (in case anyone is wondering).
    I think this is just a slight quirk of their form. I would expect that the post-graduate qualifications would include anything you would include in the postgraduate education section (as they are one and the same). The only difference I can see, is that the first section is for those completed, while the education section could be any you are currently doing (but have not completed) or that you are committed to in the future.

Reactions: bibss

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    View attachment 4424
    Hey everyone, I keep on having one specific problem with Apply4Law applications (ie Bird & Bird and Mayer Brown), that is, the Other grade field remains empty despite me putting a grade there and saving the page. Given that the grading of my GCSE equivalent is drastically different from that of GCSE, I cannot pick any grade in the Grade field. What should I do in this instance? Where can I put my grades - in Subject?
    Could you put it in the "other grade" box at the bottom next to "other level"?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.