TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

sxw517

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    Really stumped on how to answer: What are the most important rewards you expect in your career?

Seems very broad & I am not sure whether to allude to the long term, as how could I possibly know what I expect in 20-30+ yrs time, when I haven't even trained yet?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Really stumped on how to answer: What are the most important rewards you expect in your career?

Seems very broad & I am not sure whether to allude to the long term, as how could I possibly know what I expect in 20-30+ yrs time, when I haven't even trained yet?
    You can allude to the longer term if you know aspects that will be important to you then. But if you don't, look at the more immediate career - the next 3-5 years will be fine to cover (and probably still applies in many cases to the longer term anyway).

• Love
    Reactions: sxw517

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021

I think the focus could be on what your idea of being rewarded in your career is and why this is important to you rather than the term in which you expect these rewards to be given to you. So talking about how you would like to be appreciated for good work that you've done and the impact you believe this will have on you as a person and on your work may be a way to approach this without having to worry about the long term or the short term. Does this make sense?

pfoapplicant

Esteemed Member
    Dec 7, 2020
    Hi guys,

With the Linklaters winter vac scheme deadline coming up tomorrow, I just had a couple of quick questions to ask - as ever, any responses would be massively appreciated:

1. Has anyone got any tips for the CAPP assessment (other than doing it at a time when you're in the right frame of mind to answer the questions accurately)?
    2. From what I can see from the Linklaters website, it would seem that candidates are able to take the Watson Glaser after the deadline, provided they do it five days after submitting the application. Just to make absolutely sure, is this correct, or do candidates also have to complete the Watson Glaser before the general application deadline?

Thanks in advance!! :)

@Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi guys,

With the Linklaters winter vac scheme deadline coming up tomorrow, I just had a couple of quick questions to ask - as ever, any responses would be massively appreciated:

1. Has anyone got any tips for the CAPP assessment (other than doing it at a time when you're in the right frame of mind to answer the questions accurately)?
    2. From what I can see from the Linklaters website, it would seem that candidates are able to take the Watson Glaser after the deadline, provided they do it five days after submitting the application. Just to make absolutely sure, is this correct, or do candidates also have to complete the Watson Glaser before the general application deadline?

@Jessica Booker
    No specific tips for this assessments - but also turn off any distractions. Don’t have 10 other tabs on your laptop running and turn the notifications off on your phone/turn your phone off.

Unfortunayely I can’t comment on the deadline process - hopefully someone else will be able to advise on this who has done the test.

Reactions: pfoapplicant

Donuttime

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    May 17, 2021
    Hi guys,

@Jessica Booker
    For the CAPP assessment I would say answer truthfully. No one really knows what Links are looking for in these tests but always refer to the agile mindset! Think about what you would do in the situation for the CAPP test rather than what they expect. Some of the answers can contradict the other when you scale them so if you’re truthful you wouldn’t be caught out by trying to go after what you think you should rank an answer.

yes you are given five days after you submit to complete the Watson glaser!
    & good luck

traineedreamer

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Oct 23, 2019
    Hi guys,

@Jessica Booker
    Hi! I just completed the CAPP assessment, and the portal says I have until the 10th to complete the Watson Glaser, so you'll have the extra 5 days :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    is winning a moot an academic prize?
    how far back should one go when referring to prizes?
    and how much do firms take them into account @Jessica Booker
    Technically only if it is part of your degree (e.g. you are graded for the mooting).

You can go back anytime.

It really depends on the rest of the information you present in your application. Sometimes these awards can help to show that you have excelled in academia, but it really depends on the strengths elsewhere in your application. Plenty of trainees each year are recruited without such awards/prizes anyway.

Dwight

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 21, 2019
    If anyone has good knowledge on DCM, would appreciate your input here. So - there is an inverse relationship between bond price and interest rates, meaning that when interest rates rise (as they did a few days ago), bond prices fall. But isn't it true that if a coupon rate is higher than the prevailing interest rate, the bond's price rises. Thus, a bond with a 4% coupon rate will have increased in price following the BoE increasing base rate from 1.75% to 2.25%? Or would the 4% bond still decrease in price and it is a matter of it decreasing less than a 2% bond?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    what are personal qualities? are they things like analytical ability, ability to work under pressure? or is it things like honesty, a sense of humour and so forth? @Jessica Booker

Thanks!
    To me a personal quality is more of a characteristic, while the things you have mentioned are more abilities or skills.

So to me a personal quality are things like being reliable, determined, outgoing, confident, being diligent, on kind-hearted - things like that, rather than an ability. Think of them more of the attributes you have that will allow you to apply things like analytical skills, good time management etc

O

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 27, 2019
    Does anyone have any tips or guidance on how to prepare for AO's numerical reasoning test (or the SJT and verbal reasoning elements)?

time2work

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 7, 2020
    Does anyone have any tips or guidance on how to prepare for AO's numerical reasoning test (or the SJT and verbal reasoning elements)?
    I would say brush up on some simple maths (division and percentages) for two questions in particular. It should not be particularly difficult for someone who has a grasp of simple maths (not me). I would also say you cannot really prepare for the SJT, but you could think about typical trainee tasks and challenges you might face and how you could respond to these.

F12M34L

Legendary Member
  • Apr 28, 2022
    I applied to Travers Smith Direct TC in the last cycle (August 2022) but they told me that they have filled all of the spaces and I should apply to Winter Scheme. Do I have to change/edit my application as they really never got the time to read it?

C

Caroline1999

I recently did the Linklaters CAPP assessment however by lowest scoring attribute was excellence. This is extremely disheartening as I always take pride in my work. How badly do you think this will affect my application?

edenA

Oct 6, 2022
    Any tips on passing Ashurts Online Tests?

Managed to reach the benchmark for HSF tests but my application then got weeded out. Feel like my ashurst application was a lot stronger, so really don't want to bomb the online test!

Reactions: time2work
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.