TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterlaw

Jan 5, 2023
From the bottom of my heart, I cannot express how much I HATE numerical tests :(
If I wanted to do maths, I would be in STEM. The Simmons & Simmons test was so mathematical, I got so bored and I just did eenie meenie miney mo for the answers cause I genuinely did not want to have to do all the maths. And, it was long maths too like seriously I haven't touched a calculator since I was 16 (my A-Levels were essay-based), I chose law to get away from maths and yet here it is haunting me again. Why can't we just write an essay instead? That would be so much more fun!
I don't want to sound like a moaner but I have to agree with this poster. The point he mentions is correct, this is not an accounting or banking job so why do we need to be tested? I suppose it it only a few questions on maths and not a whole test but again as this poster says most of us haven't done maths since 16 and I feel we are disadvantaged to those who have done maths at a more advanced level at A level and those who now do it as a degree.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I don't want to sound like a moaner but I have to agree with this poster. The point he mentions is correct, this is not an accounting or banking job so why do we need to be tested? I suppose it it only a few questions on maths and not a whole test but again as this poster says most of us haven't done maths since 16 and I feel we are disadvantaged to those who have done maths at a more advanced level at A level and those who now do it as a degree.
Having some basic numeric understanding is actually pretty reasonable for many practice areas in commercial law - its something you'll need to be comfortable with anyway, even if it isn't something you use day in day out. The assessments are likely to be more basic than accountancy or investment banking equivalents.

Reactions: Stasis

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker when firms want to get rid of associates but can't fire them for whatever reason, what does it look like when HR 'manages out' associates? 'Managing out' is only something I've heard bits and pieces about but I can't find a proper definition.
It isn’t HR that does that. It’s their supervisors/head of department.

Generally it would be less work flow, less interesting work flow, resulting in less hours, less chance of development. As a result, lawyers will find it harder to get higher performance review measures and in turn get lower bonuses/salary increases. They might even put them on a performance improvement plan (PIP) to formalise the process and to try and force someone leaving (their contract would be terminated if the lawyer cannot meet the PIP). However, a PIP can easily take 3-6 months - it’s not a quick process.

In situations where they want to get rid of people quickly, it’s very easy to buy people out of their employment contract with a settlement agreement, so they don’t necessarily need to fire them.

WannaLaw99

• Jan 8, 2023
    Hi everyone,

I'm a little lost in regards to approaching one of TLT's vacation scheme questions. I'd be so grateful if you could give any tips in regards to responding to the following:

"Please choose an organisation that you admire in the current market. Why are they successful? What can TLT learn from this organisation?"
    It seems a little random😅 Could I literally pick any business out there? Like ASDA, or River Island lol? Or should I be thinking of other Law Firms?

They also ask "What recent work in one of our sectors interests you and why?" I've been trawling the website and I'm not finding any deals. I'm seeing more internal-facing announcments, eg awards the firm has won. Should I be going through their social media instead?

Sorry if these sound like basic questions, but I feel like I'm stumbling in the dark here :/

Thanks in advance!

atrumregina1

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 5, 2021
    hi everyone, I am trying to draft an answer on this q and struggling to find an answer: Please give details of one area of your undergraduate or postgraduate course which you found interesting and explain why
    do you think this is about a module or could it be anything? any ideas on how I should approach this?

WannaLaw99

• Jan 8, 2023
    I abandoned their app cus they have a VI which I think is annoying BUT for the first question I literally googled "2022 most innovative company awards" and things like that. Find a company, I think M&S won a lot of stuff and talk about a couple of their innovations or something then link it to something TLT has done, boots for example had some scheme (i cant remember the name) that helped people purchase from their website - that could be easily linked to client service.

For the sectors one I went on legal 500 rankings and looked at the "work highlights section" you can always do the simply google search of topic you enjoy then "tlt" for example "crypto advice TLT LLP", switch to the news tab and talk about that. The sectors are on the website so that gives you a general guide. I didn't actually do the app but lmk if u want me to elaborate anymore.
    @CorpSmith02 oh, thank you thank you thank you! I'll definitely use those tips; at least to get me started :)
    What's a VI 😅?

antisocial applicant

Esteemed Member
    Jan 12, 2022
    It isn’t HR that does that. It’s their supervisors/head of department.

Generally it would be less work flow, less interesting work flow, resulting in less hours, less chance of development. As a result, lawyers will find it harder to get higher performance review measures and in turn get lower bonuses/salary increases. They might even put them on a performance improvement plan (PIP) to formalise the process and to try and force someone leaving (their contract would be terminated if the lawyer cannot meet the PIP). However, a PIP can easily take 3-6 months - it’s not a quick process.

In situations where they want to get rid of people quickly, it’s very easy to buy people out of their employment contract with a settlement agreement, so they don’t necessarily need to fire them.
    Thanks for clarifying, Jessica!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.