TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Flanker01

• Mar 10, 2023
    Btw, just wanted to give my 3 cents on vac scheme applications. The recruitment process for HK Vac schemes operate similarly, so hopefully it will be of some help.

I applied for 15 firms last year, and guess what? I got PFOs for all of them. I was really doubting my personal ability back then, but the idea that I had 15 PFOs and all my other friends who got vac scheme offers just fuelled me even more to find out what I was lacking.

1. Cover Letter: Show yourself!
    Looking back, one of the first things I noticed was how bad my cover letters were. I couldn’t showcase myself in any of them. I was basically repeating what I had on my CV, and I couldn’t link it back to the firm. So this time around, I focused on my personal experiences. I drew my experiences abroad and where I lived, and connected to why I wanted a career in commercial law. Similarly, I drew upon my volunteering experiences, my experience as an athlete in high school etc and linked them back to the firm, saying how its training style or work culture would benefit me/be a good fit for them. This way, I can weave in my personal qualities and talk about the firm, without needing a separate paragraph talking about myself.

Oh btw, never, ever use ChatGPT or any AI bot to write your cover letters.

2. Quality of Quantity
    People think that more applications = more chances of success. Well you can look at me and basically tell it’s not the case. Last year, I didn’t attend open days or any career events, thinking my grades alone were sufficient. Boy was I wrong. As part of researching the firm, these carer events are super important if you want to learn more about the firm, so always try to go to them, even though you personally aren’t really interested in the firm. You probably won’t get the Managing Partner or GR to remember you, but the info you get out of it is extremely valuable. I think partially why I got an offer was that I drew upon what they talked about in the career talk, especially their work and why I was interested in pursuing a career in this line of work (private equity, regulatory etc). If you’re doing this already, you’re halfway there so don’t worry.

3. Review, Review, Review
    Always review sections of your application that requires you to type it out. Always try to have a word document dedicated for this since you can check your grammar and spelling beforehand. My CC application was littered with grammar and spelling mistakes in my 1st cycle, so that’s probably the main reason why I got PFOed. If you want to, you can definitely have someone proof read for you, just in case you miss anything. This rule of thumb also goes to your cover letter. Read it out loud, or have someone read it for you. Always nice to get a 2nd opinion.

4. Read the news
    This is often the most overlooked aspect of vac scheme applications, but this is how you truly build commercial awareness. If you’re finding it very difficult to understand some of the more technical terms, that’s fine. Here’s how you can dice it up into smaller, more consumable chunks. I found it way easier to understand market info than just reading through the whole thing without understanding what was going on half the time.

First, I created a word doc just for commercial news. I then looked at the firm’s business and clients and go onto the news to see if any deals/ practices coincided with market developments. In my case, I chose to read up on private equity and IPOs in Japan. Whenever I came up with a term I didn’t know on the news, I highlighted it, and searched it up. I then had a section dedicated to explaining this term, like a glossary. My explanation for the term would be easy for me to understand, and slowly, I understood what was going on. It doesn’t even need to be a technical commercial term: it can be any term you don’t understand!

This system really helped me expand my commercial awareness, at least in a sense why businesses were making those decisions. I credit this worksheet that I made to being able to successfully get through the interview process, since the partner and I got on a very nice chat about the Japanese market by the end of the interview.

5. Don’t be arrogant - Reflect on yourself
    It’s always tempting to think that because I go to law school, and I got a 70 something in a module, or an A for that assignment, I must be the best. Well actually, no you’re not. I used to be that kind of guy, but the 1st cycle of my application process really humbled me and made me reflect on my weaknesses. It made me work harder and focus on myself, rather than comparing myself to others. Getting good grades only gets you so far. I know this guy from law school who is by far the most hard working person I’ve known, but he was super arrogant and aggressive to everyone. He loves talking about himself on the law group chat, and it was not a surprise when he complained that he didn’t get any offers for vac schemes. A hardworking and positive attitude is something firms want to see, and the application process goes beyond who gets better grades.

If you don’t get any offers this cycle, that’s totally fine as well! A rejection is another opportunity to reflect and learn. You don’t always get it right at first, just like law firms don’t expect trainees to get it right at first too! 15 PFOs certainly was not fun, but here I am now! After reflecting on my mistakes and on things I didn’t do well, I certainly grew a lot as a law student and as a person. The lessons you learnt will be reflected in your next cycle, and you’ll definitely improve if you keep reflecting on yourself!

Hope this helps! And like my contract law professor says all the time to us: Per Ardua Ad Astra!

Last edited:

F AJMI

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 11, 2022
    Hi guys, got a general question about answering the " why this firm answer"

Is it helpful to talk about some of modules you have studied as law student, and link that to why you are interested in certain areas that a law firm specialices in. I do understand that there is a huge difference between studying law at uni and actually working in a legal field, but i think it could be used to show a gerneral understanding of a particular sector (to be backed up with evidence of further research).

@Jessica Booker

Reactions: axelbeugre

lawyerinzootopia

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Apr 12, 2023
    Btw, just wanted to give my 3 cents on vac scheme applications. The recruitment process for HK Vac schemes operate similarly, so hopefully it will be of some help.

I applied for 15 firms last year, and guess what? I got PFOs for all of them. I was really doubting my personal ability back then, but the idea that I had 15 PFOs and all my other friends who got vac scheme offers just fuelled me even more to find out what I was lacking.

1. Cover Letter: Show yourself!
    Looking back, one of the first things I noticed was how bad my cover letters were. I couldn’t showcase myself in any of them. I was basically repeating what I had on my CV, and I couldn’t link it back to the firm. So this time around, I focused on my personal experiences. I drew my experiences abroad and where I lived, and connected to why I wanted a career in commercial law. Similarly, I drew upon my volunteering experiences, my experience as an athlete in high school etc and linked them back to the firm, saying how its training style or work culture would benefit me/be a good fit for them. This way, I can weave in my personal qualities and talk about the firm, without needing a separate paragraph talking about myself.

Oh btw, never, ever use ChatGPT or any AI bot to write your cover letters.

2. Quality of Quantity
    People think that more applications = more chances of success. Well you can look at me and basically tell it’s not the case. Last year, I didn’t attend open days or any career events, thinking my grades alone were sufficient. Boy was I wrong. As part of researching the firm, these carer events are super important if you want to learn more about the firm, so always try to go to them, even though you personally aren’t really interested in the firm. You probably won’t get the Managing Partner or GR to remember you, but the info you get out of it is extremely valuable. I think partially why I got an offer was that I drew upon what they talked about in the career talk, especially their work and why I was interested in pursuing a career in this line of work (private equity, regulatory etc). If you’re doing this already, you’re halfway there so don’t worry.

3. Review, Review, Review
    Always review sections of your application that requires you to type it out. Always try to have a word document dedicated for this since you can check your grammar and spelling beforehand. My CC application was littered with grammar and spelling mistakes in my 1st cycle, so that’s probably the main reason why I got PFOed. If you want to, you can definitely have someone proof read for you, just in case you miss anything. This rule of thumb also goes to your cover letter. Read it out loud, or have someone read it for you. Always nice to get a 2nd opinion.

4. Read the news
    This is often the most overlooked aspect of vac scheme applications, but this is how you truly build commercial awareness. If you’re finding it very difficult to understand some of the more technical terms, that’s fine. Here’s how you can dice it up into smaller, more consumable chunks. I found it way easier to understand market info than just reading through the whole thing without understanding what was going on half the time.

First, I created a word doc just for commercial news. I then looked at the firm’s business and clients and go onto the news to see if any deals/ practices coincided with market developments. In my case, I chose to read up on private equity and IPOs in Japan. Whenever I came up with a term I didn’t know on the news, I highlighted it, and searched it up. I then had a section dedicated to explaining this term, like a glossary. My explanation for the term would be easy for me to understand, and slowly, I understood what was going on. It doesn’t even need to be a technical commercial term: it can be any term you don’t understand!

This system really helped me expand my commercial awareness, at least in a sense why businesses were making those decisions. I credit this worksheet that I made to being able to successfully get through the interview process, since the partner and I got on a very nice chat about the Japanese market by the end of the interview.

5. Don’t be arrogant - Reflect on yourself
    It’s always tempting to think that because I go to law school, and I got a 70 something in a module, or an A for that assignment, I must be the best. Well actually, no you’re not. I used to be that kind of guy, but the 1st cycle of my application process really humbled me and made me reflect on my weaknesses. It made me work harder and focus on myself, rather than comparing myself to others. Getting good grades only gets you so far. I know this guy from law school who is by far the most hard working person I’ve known, but he was super arrogant and aggressive to everyone. He loves talking about himself on the law group chat, and it was not a surprise when he complained that he didn’t get any offers for vac schemes. A hardworking and positive attitude is something firms want to see, and the application process goes beyond who gets better grades.

If you don’t get any offers this cycle, that’s totally fine as well! A rejection is another opportunity to reflect and learn. You don’t always get it right at first, just like law firms don’t expect trainees to get it right at first too! 15 PFOs certainly was not fun, but here I am now! After reflecting on my mistakes and on things I didn’t do well, I certainly grew a lot as a law student and as a person. The lessons you learnt will be reflected in your next cycle, and you’ll definitely improve if you keep reflecting on yourself!

Hope this helps! And like my contract law professor says all the time to us: Per Ardua Ad Astra!
    Thank you for sharing this, very insightful and helpful!! :)

Reactions: Flanker01

jlee01

Oct 26, 2023
    for questions like 'Tell me more about yourself/ can you introduce yourself?', do interviewers expect you to give answers about your career motivations and experiences or answers like my hobbies that are something more personal?

gilo

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 27, 2020
    Hey @gilo,

The way I had approached it last year when I was applying to places like Goodwin or Dentons who use Vantage was writing my work experience from the most recent to the oldest one. So, start with the ones you have recently completed all the way down to the ones you have done when you were younger. That worked for me as I did not have any issues and managed to progress to the next stages of the application with the two firms I mentioned.

I hope this helps and good luck with the cycle!
    Thanks 🙏

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi guys, got a general question about answering the " why this firm answer"

Is it helpful to talk about some of modules you have studied as law student, and link that to why you are interested in certain areas that a law firm specialices in. I do understand that there is a huge difference between studying law at uni and actually working in a legal field, but i think it could be used to show a gerneral understanding of a particular sector (to be backed up with evidence of further research).

@Jessica Booker
    I don’t think this needs to be any more than something along the lines of “Having enjoyed X module at university, I am interested in Y practice area” and then really going into more specific detail about why that practice area at that specific firm would work well for you.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    for questions like 'Tell me more about yourself/ can you introduce yourself?', do interviewers expect you to give answers about your career motivations and experiences or answers like my hobbies that are something more personal?
    They aren’t expecting anything in particular but only for you to identify a small number of things that make you unique/stand out from other candidates. For some candidates that might be more motivational based, for others it might be their hobbies. Really think about your USPs.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    How recent should a 'recent situation where you faced a challenge or problem' be? I'm thinking of an example from 2019 - Is this too long ago to be recent?

(@Jessica Booker @axelbeugre)
    Given they explicitly state “recent”, I would try to find something in the last 12 months.

Reactions: Aga123+

Tintin06

Legendary Member
    Oct 23, 2019
    I applied to the Macfarlanes Vac Scheme and was asked to do an online assessment. This is the third time I've applied but all previous incidents have resulted in an outright PFO with no request to do an assessment. Has Macfarlanes changed their application process this year from previous years, so all applicants are now required to complete the online test?
    Yes. I did this too. I think everyone gets it as my application could have been a lot better.

Reactions: NSC414

ruetorubble

Standard Member
    Mar 27, 2022
    Hi! Long time lurker and honestly still intimidated by TCLA. I recently got a Dechert invite for the pre-recorded video interview round + written exercise. It's my first time doing a written exercise and I am very nervous.

I have been reading Christopher Stoakes' book "All You Need To Know About The City" and it has been really helpful with jargon busting! I really want to improve my knowledge in terms of preparing for interviews, written assessments, case studies, and assessment days. I feel like I have a decent grasp of how to write good applications, so I want to hone in on written assessments and case studies.

I have seen some recommendations on Jake Schogger's books, but he has so many of them and I have limited time and resources. I was wondering if anyone could recommend, if I had to pick one to complement my knowledge from Stoakes' book, which one to get? "Commercial Law Handbook" seems generally quite good, "Application, Interview & Internship Handbook" seems quite focused on application writing so may be limited in my specific goals, "Training Contract Handbook" is quite expensive but the chapters on trainee's role, M&A and transaction documents seem quite helpful.

Any pointers and recommendations would be appreciated! This is my second proper application cycle and I'm studying the SQE in February.

• 🏆
    Reactions: I’m_Batman

chikajessica

Standard Member
    Oct 15, 2023
    Hi! Long time lurker and honestly still intimidated by TCLA. I recently got a Dechert invite for the pre-recorded video interview round + written exercise. It's my first time doing a written exercise and I am very nervous.

I have been reading Christopher Stoakes' book "All You Need To Know About The City" and it has been really helpful with jargon busting! I really want to improve my knowledge in terms of preparing for interviews, written assessments, case studies, and assessment days. I feel like I have a decent grasp of how to write good applications, so I want to hone in on written assessments and case studies.

I have seen some recommendations on Jake Schogger's books, but he has so many of them and I have limited time and resources. I was wondering if anyone could recommend, if I had to pick one to complement my knowledge from Stoakes' book, which one to get? "Commercial Law Handbook" seems generally quite good, "Application, Interview & Internship Handbook" seems quite focused on application writing so may be limited in my specific goals, "Training Contract Handbook" is quite expensive but the chapters on trainee's role, M&A and transaction documents seem quite helpful.

Any pointers and recommendations would be appreciated! This is my second proper application cycle and I'm studying the SQE in February.
    Hi, I actually have 'Commercial Law Handbook'. I would say it's super helpful in that it covers both commercial awareness and interview prep. For commercial awareness, it goes into detail about how law firms make profit, how contracts are formed, the process of starting and growing a business, the anatomy of an acquisition, etc. It also looks at financial statements like balance sheets which you might be given during an AC. As for interview prep, there's a section dedicated specifically to different stages of an AC, like team presentations or negotiation exercises. All in all, I would recommend because it covers the breadth of the entire application process!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.