TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Tintin06

Legendary Member
Oct 23, 2019
Has anyone done the Latham online assessment and how did you prepare for it?
I did it for the open day and passed. I think the SJT personality survey bit can't be prepared for. You just have to answer honestly but also think about it from an employer's perspective. For the VI at the end I'd suggest a skim of the Solicitors' Regulation Authority handbook would be useful.

HLL

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Mar 26, 2021
I did it for the open day and passed. I think the SJT personality survey bit can't be prepared for. You just have to answer honestly but also think about it from an employer's perspective. For the VI at the end I'd suggest a skim of the Solicitors' Regulation Authority handbook would be useful.
Hi, can I ask whether the vi at the end has a limited prep time? Also does the vi have to be done with the sjt in one sitting? Thankssss

VacayScheme

Distinguished Member
Nov 14, 2023
So, Taylor Wessing's post application email seems to read quite specifically - "We review each application carefully and will be in touch should you be successfully shortlisted through to the first stage of our process". Does this mean that if you don't make it past the post-application shortlisting stage they don't let you know you've been rejected?

Reactions: Sharon Wu

MR218

Standard Member
Mar 9, 2019
Hey everyone, I have a random question that I would appreciate your thoughts on...

I applied to the Gibson Dunn Open Day a few months ago and didn't get a reply (despite noticing a few other people on the forum got a response last week).

I emailed grad rec earlier this afternoon to confirm the status of my application (as the open day is tomorrow) and just received an email saying '...whilst we were impressed with your application, we received a significant number of applications and have a limited number of places available and we regret to inform you that your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.'

Do you think this is a normal rejection or, given the delayed response and the fact that I had to prompt them, did they lose my original application?

Reactions: axelbeugre

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hey everyone, I have a random question that I would appreciate your thoughts on...

I applied to the Gibson Dunn Open Day a few months ago and didn't get a reply (despite noticing a few other people on the forum got a response last week).

I emailed grad rec earlier this afternoon to confirm the status of my application (as the open day is tomorrow) and just received an email saying '...whilst we were impressed with your application, we received a significant number of applications and have a limited number of places available and we regret to inform you that your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.'

Do you think this is a normal rejection or, given the delayed response and the fact that I had to prompt them, did they lose my original application?
I think this is a normal rejection, they probably forgot to email you about the outcome of your application. I would say this is very normal so do not look too much into it and try to take it on the chin. I am pretty sure they just forgot to reply to some candidates, they are probably very busy during this time of year.

Reactions: AlexJ

MR218

Standard Member
Mar 9, 2019
I think this is a normal rejection, they probably forgot to email you about the outcome of your application. I would say this is very normal so do not look too much into it and try to take it on the chin. I am pretty sure they just forgot to reply to some candidates, they are probably very busy during this time of year.
Thanks for the response!

That’s a shame - I was invited to the AC last year but sadly couldn’t attend, was planning to send off another application this year but I don’t know if i’ll bother now.

Last edited:

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.