Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
So weird, why would they then stop anyone from completing the application if they do sponsor?
The rules around visa are due to change in April, as announced a couple of weeks ago. It looks like their starting salaries outside of London will not meet the new visa requirements, so this is likely a recent change.

Lalis

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Jan 30, 2020
Re Pinsent Masons - do we have 10 days to complete the test or the test should be completed by today (the deadline for application)? I applied yesterday and wondering if I have 10 days or just today to complete it

Aaj03

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Jan 8, 2023
    For a 25 minute competency/motivation-based interview, how long should your responses be? I don't know if they're expecting real deep dives (4 mins per answer etc) or a quick run through two or three points per answer (around 2 mins).
    I do around 2-3 mins because sometimes I find that when I am going above that , I tend to almost get cut off and also if there is an opportunity to ask questions at the end, I just leave it at 3 mins max ☺️

Wazflame

Sep 11, 2022
    Is there any benefit to doing Linklaters' Watson Glaser test as soon as possible? It says I have 5 days from submitting my application but they also put in the email:

"We ask that you complete the test as soon as possible within the next five days." (the bolded text is now own emphasis)

Would it affect the order they look at the VS applications? Or does it not matter and they're just saying that so you don't forget to complete it?

Thanks!

baj5

Oct 19, 2023
    Most firms have grade requirements listed on their website. Most will expect a 2:1 degree as a minimum though and A-Level requirements can vary, although the “bigger” firms tend to look for AAB and above.

If you have extenuating circumstances with your grades, there should be a space for this on the application form. If you don’t meet the grade requirements (subject to you not having extenuating circumstances), I’d focus on firms who don’t have clear requirements :)
    Hi! Thanks for your response. I have all of the above, high 2.1 from Russel Uni, LLM from prestigious US Uni and AAB on my foundation in law which is the A-level equivalent. But I do have extenuating circumstances as I was diagnosed with dyslexia at the end of my second year at my LLB. So I was wondering whether that part of the application was the issue. But based on your response, it shouldn't be. It has to be my answers and overall cohesion.

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 14, 2023
    I don't think you can prepare beyond nailing your motivations for applying. There is a numerical and verbal reasoning element, a situational judgement element, two VI questions that are motivational, and a written case study. I don't know if they're practice situational judgement test that you can do in advance, but essentially just think about how you would act in professional situations. It is quite a long assessment: they say an hour, but it's untimed and I took almost 90 minutes.
    Hi, is it the VI untimed as well?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    For a 25 minute competency/motivation-based interview, how long should your responses be? I don't know if they're expecting real deep dives (4 mins per answer etc) or a quick run through two or three points per answer (around 2 mins).
    I would generally say more like 2-3 mins per question. In a 25 minute interview, I would expect them to probably only ask 5 questions and by the time you have done introductions and signed off the call, it doesn’t leave a lot of time.

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    I would generally say more like 2-3 mins per question. In a 25 minute interview, I would expect them to probably only ask 5 questions and by the time you have done introductions and signed off the call, it doesn’t leave a lot of time.
    Hi @Jessica Booker

Would you say the same for a strength based interview? and at the end of answering a competency question would you say how this would relate to the firms values/work they do? or would this be too much and come across as scripted

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker

Would you say the same for a strength based interview? and at the end of answering a competency question would you say how this would relate to the firms values/work they do? or would this be too much and come across as scripted
    No need to say how it relates to the firm or their work unless asked.

Same length goes for strengths based interviews too

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.