TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

bella98

Legendary Member
  • Mar 9, 2023
    Describe why a career in commercial law appeals to you. What skills do you think are needed to be a successful commercial lawyer? (300 words max)

What's your opinion on the best way to approach the second part of this question? When answering questions regarding the skills necessary for a successful commercial lawyer/ trainee solicitor, I typically state the skills and link them to my personal experiences (demonstrating that I developed the skills required throughout my journey). However, due to word count limitations, especially after explaining why commercial law in the first part of the question, I find it challenging to cover both aspects. Should I blend the answer why commercial law where I state my experiences with the skills necessary?

My draft right now is: why commercial law for the first part, and the skills needed to be a successful lawyer for the second part (without stating how I developed those skills).

Reactions: axelbeugre

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Quick question re group exercises in assessment centres - are you ever asked to rank each team member's performance throughout the task?
    Highly unlikely but you may get asked for feedback on both how you thought you tackled the task both as a group and individually (eg you performance).

Reactions: jplaw1010

BM99

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 12, 2021
    For people who are waiting on Latham, this is their response:

'We are currently in the process of reviewing your applications and wanted to inform you that we are making steady progress. We understand that you are eager to hear back, and we are working to complete the reviews as efficiently as possible.

Our aim is to communicate the outcomes to you by the end of the month. We appreciate your patience as we work through the volume of applications to ensure each one receives the attention it deserves.'

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.