TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

yeezyee

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Dec 8, 2023
i definitely understand the sentiment towards video interviews... 60 seconds is so stressful omg. its like i was losing steam even though there were only 3 questions..! onwards and upwards i guess 😥

Pennine Valley

Esteemed Member
Nov 18, 2023
I’m beginning to think maybe it’s not the case because PFOs have gone out but a lot of people on here haven’t received one. At the open day they defo mentioned they were holding two rounds of ACs and one was much earlier. Each of their groups for AC were super small (I read 5 on here) and they did four days, so would make sense if they were doing another week but really not sure!!! I guess we’ll find out soon (hopefully)
I got post app RPC rejection yesterday

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Any advice on how to stop catastrophising post-AC/ interview?? I can’t stop thinking about my responses and how I should have answered some questions differently. 😭
For everything you find to focus on that’s a negative, force yourself to identify a positive to balance it out, even if it seems small (you got there on time, you smiled, you asked some interesting questions). You’ll be hyper focused on small details of the negatives, so doing the same for the small positive details isn’t that different, it’s just at the opposite end of the positivity spectrum!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
When you get questions about if you could invent a law etc what would it be - is this a way to showcase what area of law you like or am I silly for thinking it’s the perfect chance to add some personality into a boring VI? 😭🤣
Could be either opportunity really (and seen both approaches work well) - do whatever feels right for you!

• 🤝
Reactions: sm99

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
For an upcoming AC, the info says the lawyers who interview you have sight of your initial application form. Would anyone suggest then coming up with new answers for 'why me' & 'why the firm' etc? Quite liked my answers on the app but don't want to negatively impact myself by repeating what they have already read! Hoping I could use them as a foundation anyway.
Definitely do need new answers (that would actually be a bit weird) but I would expect the answers to be more in-depth than the detail in your application. So the themes can be the same, but I would present a more detailed analysis/evidence to support those themes.

tanamontana

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Dec 28, 2023
    For the question ‘what differentiates us from other law firms’ in a VI, should you approach this question from the point of view of clients (so why would a client choose X firm over another), or relating to people choosing to work at firm/internal point of view?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.