TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

tanamontana

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Dec 28, 2023
    For the question ‘what differentiates us from other law firms’ in a VI, should you approach this question from the point of view of clients (so why would a client choose X firm over another), or relating to people choosing to work at firm/internal point of view?

bella98

Legendary Member
  • Mar 9, 2023
    Send Me GIF by Originals

Hogan Lovells please call meeee
    Okay so I didn’t get the call and I see a pattern here that I don’t like 😭

Here's the thing: had HSF and Macfarlanes ACs on Tuesday, they called successful candidates on Thursday, and then—plot twist—sent me a PFO on Friday. Someone, please, I'm begging, find me a wizard, a genie, or a four-leaf clover to break this curse!!

mfuturetrainee

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 21, 2021

Here's the thing: had HSF and Macfarlanes ACs on Tuesday, they called successful candidates on Thursday, and then—plot twist—sent me a PFO on Friday. Someone, please, I'm begging, find me a wizard, a genie, or a four-leaf clover to break this curse!!
    u will hear good news!!! IM PRAYING FOR U

Apple

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 23, 2023

Im in the exact same boat, AC on Tuesday and just waiting and praying for that phone call so badly.

• 🤝
    Reactions: bella98

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Hi, @axelbeugre and @Jessica Booker would love to have your opinion on a bunch of questions that I am trying to answer.

1)When asked what are the attributes that a lawyer, what do we refer to? Should I talk about commercial acumen, teamwork, and communication?
    2) When asked to describe what sets this firm apart from other firms? Should we talk about how x firm compares against another specific firm and I can mention capabilities or training etc..or should I compare x firm against many other firms?
    3) When asked to talk about a specific news and why interest me? Should I write about something that relates to the firm? Additionally, can I mention that I am interested because of my background in specific industries, it affects me as an everyday consumer and interests me as an aspiring lawyer because the legal implications are multiple such as etc..?

Forum feel free to chime in:)

Reactions: axelbeugre

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Hi, @axelbeugre and @Jessica Booker would love to have your opinion on a bunch of questions that I am trying to answer.

1)When asked what are the attributes that a lawyer, what do we refer to? Should I talk about commercial acumen, teamwork, and communication?
    2) When asked to describe what sets this firm apart from other firms? Should we talk about how x firm compares against another specific firm and I can mention capabilities or training etc..or should I compare x firm against many other firms?
    3) When asked to talk about a specific news and why interest me? Should I write about something that relates to the firm? Additionally, can I mention that I am interested because of my background in specific industries, it affects me as an everyday consumer and interests me as an aspiring lawyer because the legal implications are multiple such as etc..?

Forum feel free to chime in:)
    1) those attributes are perfectly fine, examples of that nature are what they are looking for.
    2) You should highlight the firms' strengths compared to other firms generally without naming a specific firm in my opinion.
    3) You should talk about something that interests you specifically, it does not have to be linked to the firm necessarily. Yes, you can definitely do that, your explanation works in my opinion and I used to mention similar things too.

Good luck!

Reactions: Jaysen and S87

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    1) those attributes are perfectly fine, examples of that nature are what they are looking for.
    2) You should highlight the firms' strengths compared to other firms generally without naming a specific firm in my opinion.
    3) You should talk about something that interests you specifically, it does not have to be linked to the firm necessarily. Yes, you can definitely do that, your explanation works in my opinion and I used to mention similar things too.

Good luck!
    You are a gem @axelbeugre

Reactions: axelbeugre

studentdelaw786

Star Member
    Sep 11, 2019
    HFW PFO. applied 12th Jan
    You should always stay humble but cant say I'm not surprised. I thought my app was really strong considering I made it past app stage for other shipping firms. Was my application too late? or was the quality not enough compared to other applicants
    i still haven’t received a response and I applied on the same date as you. but if people have already done ACs, i’m assuming it’s PFO for me?

Reactions: Future$trainee

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.