Work Experience/History

Martika

Dec 6, 2018
Hello,

I've noticed that law firms have given 200-300 words for work experience/history. Do people tend to use all of the word count for this section? If so, what kind of details should be included to make the word count. I'm finding that my details are a bit short.

Martika

Lawbour

Legendary Member
Dec 25, 2018
Someone on another post said to look at the values/skills the firm wants and link your work experience with those. So if you worked in mcdonalds, for example, you can discuss it being fast paced, customer facing etc.

bronson

Distinguished Member
Nov 23, 2018
Hello,

I've noticed that law firms have given 200-300 words for work experience/history. Do people tend to use all of the word count for this section? If so, what kind of details should be included to make the word count. I'm finding that my details are a bit short.

Martika

My advice would be to use the word count (to the extent that you can). Use your CV as an eye opener to highlight your accomplishments and strengths. Then use your work experience section to elaborate on the finer details that allow the recruiter to get into the world of it.

HOWEVER do not waffle and tell them about unnecessary things. Keep it concise and to the point. Most of all try and elaborate on a result or a difference that was created as a result of your work. Numbers are always an effective way to do this e.g. I achieved £X amount of sales for this period, surpassing my target of £Y.

Reactions: Jaysen and Salma

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.