TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
I am completing an application for a summer work placement at a local regional firm. Rather than being online, the application process requires you to fill out an application form (education/work history) and email it. I was wondering whether it would generally be recommended to also include a cover letter for such an application (the application website does not mention one)?
Hi @A494,

If the application does not ask for a cover letter, then I would be inclined not to include a formal cover letter attachment, but instead you could use the body of the e-mail to write a short 'cover e-mail' in effect, where you outline your interest in the position and experiences.

I hope that is helpful :)

Reactions: A494

kr253

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Jan 20, 2021
I love the WBD Dickinson tests, I wish some of the games were a normal app and I could play them again lol
.. in saying that, I am always slightly sceptical of how accurate the results are/ how the games are designed to tell you these things.
I got: decision making, emotion and fairness as my 'unique' results, which are different to last year.
Are they the sort of thing it's better to do on a phone rather than a laptop do you reckon? I know you can do them on either

Hele25

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 5, 2021
Are they the sort of thing it's better to do on a phone rather than a laptop do you reckon? I know you can do them on either
You can do them on a phone or a laptop, just not a tablet as the format is incompatible with the programme. I found them easy to do on a phone as it really is set up like a game, that’s personal preference though as they work on either :) good luck!

Reactions: kr253

DXXXX

Standard Member
May 6, 2019
FBD AC! Any help would or pointing to TCLA resources would be super useful!

I Need It Reaction GIF
Happy to say I've been offered a TC with Freshfields :)

London1021

Standard Member
Jan 31, 2022
Did anyone apply to Vinson & Elkins and is happy to tell me how they approached their cover letter?
Hi! So the letter is limited to 2 sides aka there's plenty of space. I'd detail the following:
  1. Why law
  2. Why V&E specifically (is it the training structure? the strength in energy? people you've met?)
  3. Why you for V&E (transferable skills, relevant experiences...basically any way you can excel as a trainee/add-value to the firm)
From interview experience, they deffo read it before hand (at least certain people on the panel did) and will base some questions of it so make sure you know the content well. At the same time I think it goes without saying that you should adhere to a KISS approach, no flowery language or unnecessary content - you'll have the chance to expand on those points and make them exciting during the interview.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.