TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elsa3.1415

Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 14, 2021
@AvniD has already provided you with some excellent advice on this, but I wanted to add my perspective both as a recruiter and as someone recently diagnosed with ADHD.

It is not a bad thing to mention ADHD. Firstly, it isn't a mental illness but a form of neuro-diversity. Law firms know that some of their best lawyers are those who are neuro-diverse (including those with ADHD). From experience (both as someone working with people with ADHD and through my own experience), they are rarely "less hard-working" - if anything, it is typically the opposite - they work too long hours and push themselves too hard, often leading to burnout. However, each person's circumstances are always different regarding how the neurodiverse condition applies to them individually, as it can be very different from one person to the next. For instance, time-keeping and punctuality can actually be a strength for many people with ADHD.

My general advice for these types of topics, whether in a competency question or when describing mitigating circumstances, is to focus on the learning process around managing your neurodiversity. Everyone has different strengths/weaknesses, whether you are neurodiverse or not. Being self-aware of your personal strengths/weaknesses and educating yourself on how best to balance these out (and utilising certain strengths to compensate for weaknesses) is actually a powerful combination no matter how your brain works. These are the bits you have to focus on as it shows you have taken responsibility for your personal learning and growth.
This is very reassuring, and makes me hopeful! Thank you so much to you and @AvniD for the precious advice!

• 🤝
Reactions: AvniD
D

Deleted member 24543

Has anyone heard from EY about the Experience Day?
Mine says "Experience day: Under Review: Your application is under review. Please await further communication" followed by

"Next Up: EY Experience Day"
Thank you for your application to EY and congratulations on making it to this stage in the recruitment process.

We are currently shortlisting candidates and will shortly be in touch as to whether you have been successful in securing a place on our EY Experience Day. We will send you an invite via email to confirm this and details of the event.

Not entirely sure if this is good news at all, the wait is making me really anxious!

Reactions: Narince

lw2000

Distinguished Member
Aug 19, 2021
Hi all, I've been waiting around 2 weeks for a response for a wvs now but I've just realised I'm going to have to ask for time off work if I'm successful. I'm sure they'll be ok with it but ideally, I want to give them some actual notice of what days I need off within a sensible period. With the scheme supposed to start in a little under 3 weeks, do you thinks it's worth chasing a quicker response? Cheers

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    This may be outdated - but the values of 'commitment to client service, responsiveness, integrity, teamwork and the highest quality of legal work' were mentioned in their 2010 global exchange document :)
    On their ‘Meet the recruiter’ page for lawcareers.net, they say “At Mayer Brown, we’re looking for hard-working and committed individuals who demonstrate a passion for the work we have on offer for our trainee cohort. We want our trainees to be intellectually curious and business minded. As a firm, we also pride ourselves on our culture, and so we’re looking for authenticity and enthusiasm in our prospective trainees. Throughout the recruitment process, we’ll be testing candidates’ resilience, adaptability, and commercial awareness, as well as placing an emphasis on their knowledge of the legal industry and, specifically, Mayer Brown.”

Also, could I please ask how long it took to receive the test post-application?
    Thank you very much both for this. This is helpful.

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 26, 2022
    Do A&O send confirmation that your test has been completed? I took the test yesterday, and I didn’t receive any confirmation; my deadline is later today, so I am unsure if I should check if it submitted.

Also, did anyone else find the test really difficult? Honestly the hardest test I’ve ever taken for a firm, which seems to go against what I’d previously read about it!

Rina

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 14, 2021
    Do A&O send confirmation that your test has been completed? I took the test yesterday, and I didn’t receive any confirmation; my deadline is later today, so I am unsure if I should check if it submitted.

Also, did anyone else find the test really difficult? Honestly the hardest test I’ve ever taken for a firm, which seems to go against what I’d previously read about it!
    There is no email confirmation, there is only an in-browser message when you finish that says “thank you”. You should receive your results via email in 24 hours!

bibss

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 28, 2020
    When firms state on their website that they recommend applying for a vacation scheme (instead of a training contract) if you haven't completed legal work experience, do they mean vacation schemes only? Or does work experience as a legal assistant, paralegal, inter etc. count?

Sorry, this has always confused me

Narince

Distinguished Member
    Nov 8, 2022
    Mine says "Experience day: Under Review: Your application is under review. Please await further communication" followed by

"Next Up: EY Experience Day"
    Thank you for your application to EY and congratulations on making it to this stage in the recruitment process.

We are currently shortlisting candidates and will shortly be in touch as to whether you have been successful in securing a place on our EY Experience Day. We will send you an invite via email to confirm this and details of the event.

Not entirely sure if this is good news at all, the wait is making me really anxious!
    Hey! I have the same message. When did you complete the assessments, just trying to gauge a wait time haha

• 🤝
    Reactions: FutureLawyer99 and BM99

toribabylawyer

Star Member
  • Sep 5, 2022
    When firms state on their website that they recommend applying for a vacation scheme (instead of a training contract) if you haven't completed legal work experience, do they mean vacation schemes only? Or does work experience as a legal assistant, paralegal, inter etc. count?

Sorry, this has always confused me
    i think they just mean general legal experience so paralegal and etc should count.

Reactions: bibss
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.