Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Received first invite for VS interview! are there any threads on here with tips for virtual presentations + no visual aids?

Congrats on your AC invite! ☺️ I had to do something similar at an AC last year and was a complete nervous wreck but my best advice would be to rehearse as much as possible. This is not something I'd typically advise for interviews but I think for a presentation you want to come across as really well prepared. Practice giving your presentation out loud beforehand as well because if you've prepared a script and rely solely on that, you might whiz through your points too quickly. Also, make sure you start by setting out the structure of your presentation clearly and use clear pointers throughout so your interviewers are able to follow your thoughts.

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    It’s a generic question on what issues have impacted the legal industry, so I thought it may be an interesting point/different perspective to raise considering that the Big 4 seem to always be at the centre of discussion for this topic - do you think this is appropriate?
    As long as it focuses on recent developments, then yes but it will depend on which firm this is for too. People have been talking about the Big 4 since 2008/09 at least and saying they will revolutionise the sector. That hasn’t really been seen in the way many people predicted, and to many firms has had little impact at all.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    How does everyone deal with being put on the spot during the interview?I feel like for me the biggest fear is having a brain freeze and not being able to answer a question that I am unprepared for, which is ultimately the source of my anxiety for interviews, would appreciate any tips!
    I think this is generally almost everyone's greatest source of anxiety for interviews! Interviews often seem like an exam because you are after all being assessed but I always tried to remind myself that interviews are also very unlike exams because there never is a right or wrong answer to a question.

If you do get a question you are unprepared for (particularly if it's a commercial awareness question), then sometimes the best thing you can do is admit that you don't exactly know the answer yourself. So saying something like "I'm not too sure myself on this point, but from what I do know about X...." Lawyers often do this themselves and it's actually far worse to pretend you know what you're talking about than to humbly admit you may not have all the necessary information yourself.

If it's a motivational or competency question that has you stuck, then taking a sip of water while trying to work out an answer has always worked wonders for me. Otherwise if you anticipate that you would actually need more time than the glass of water will give you, again it's okay to admit that you're slightly stumped. Saying something like "Hmm, that's a tough question, can I have a few moments to think about it?" is perfectly acceptable!

I.Like.UFOs.Not.PFOs

Esteemed Member
    Jan 6, 2021
    As long as it focuses on recent developments, then yes but it will depend on which firm this is for too. People have been talking about the Big 4 since 2008/09 at least and saying they will revolutionise the sector. That hasn’t really been seen in the way many people predicted, and to many firms has had little impact at all.
    That’s a good point- I think I will do a little more research to see its relevance to the firm itself then, before I start drafting anything. Thank you for your insight!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    That’s a good point- I think I will do a little more research to see its relevance to the firm itself then, before I start drafting anything. Thank you for your insight!
    There are some ways in which the Big 4 are making strides, so an answer like this just needs to be as specific as possible, rather than just stating that they are generally making the market more competitive.

I.Like.UFOs.Not.PFOs

Esteemed Member
    Jan 6, 2021
    There are some ways in which the Big 4 are making strides, so an answer like this just needs to be as specific as possible, rather than just stating that they are generally making the market more competitive.
    I’ll bear that in mind during my research, and hopefully I’ll be able to narrow it down to some specific and relevant points! Again thank you, I really appreciate your insight😊

ZaraB

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 13, 2020
    I think this is generally almost everyone's greatest source of anxiety for interviews! Interviews often seem like an exam because you are after all being assessed but I always tried to remind myself that interviews are also very unlike exams because there never is a right or wrong answer to a question.

If you do get a question you are unprepared for (particularly if it's a commercial awareness question), then sometimes the best thing you can do is admit that you don't exactly know the answer yourself. So saying something like "I'm not too sure myself on this point, but from what I do know about X...." Lawyers often do this themselves and it's actually far worse to pretend you know what you're talking about than to humbly admit you may not have all the necessary information yourself.

If it's a motivational or competency question that has you stuck, then taking a sip of water while trying to work out an answer has always worked wonders for me. Otherwise if you anticipate that you would actually need more time than the glass of water will give you, again it's okay to admit that you're slightly stumped. Saying something like "Hmm, that's a tough question, can I have a few moments to think about it?" is perfectly acceptable!
    Thank you so much Dheepa, this is extremely helpful!!!

• Love
    Reactions: Dheepa

Us416

Feb 11, 2021
    Hi all, I have an interview for a VS but after reading over my application, I have realised my phone number is incorrect by one digit.

It is really stressing me out. I can't stop thinking that as soon as I mention it, that's my chance of securing the VS out the window... why would they give someone a VS if their attention to detail is so poor they can't enter their own phone number correctly???

What would any of you advise me do? The only contact details I have with the firm is the HR partner who is conducting my interview :(

Ricky

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Sep 16, 2018
    Hi all, I have an interview for a VS but after reading over my application, I have realised my phone number is incorrect by one digit.

It is really stressing me out. I can't stop thinking that as soon as I mention it, that's my chance of securing the VS out the window... why would they give someone a VS if their attention to detail is so poor they can't enter their own phone number correctly???

What would any of you advise me do? The only contact details I have with the firm is the HR partner who is conducting my interview :(
    Update it through the portal or just email them and update it. Really is not a big deal.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.