TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    How come graduate recruitment don't seem to use 'dear Mr/Ms' anymore? It's always hi [first name] nowadays and I'm wondering what happened to the old form of address?

Also, is it appropriate to send hi [first name] to graduate recruitment when you're initiating the email chain?
    I always send email to graduate frecruitment with Hello and their first name so I don't know if I should not.

Scandi

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 28, 2021
    How come graduate recruitment don't seem to use 'dear Mr/Ms' anymore? It's always hi [first name] nowadays and I'm wondering what happened to the old form of address?

Also, is it appropriate to send hi [first name] to graduate recruitment when you're initiating the email chain?
    It depends on the circumstances.

I would address the graduate recruitment in a cover letter as 'Dear Ms/Mr [Full Name]' (if you know the name).

Or 'Dear [First Name]' in initial email correspondence.

Later, when I have corresponded with them before, or the graduate recruitment says 'Hi [Candidate's Name]'—I reply with 'Hi [First Name]'.

I guess it's better to err on the side of caution—rather more formal than too informal. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Adrian_S

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

It’s old school to use Ms/Mr/Miss etc - a lot of firms have got rid of it in client correspondence, so makes sense to get rid of it for things like candidate communication too.

I would always go with Dear First Name in most instances, and if the recruiter writes back with Hi, then you can use that from then on.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi everyone, I thought this day would never come, but, after 30 rejections post app, 3 failed WGs, 4 rejections post video interview, one rejection due to cancelled recruitment and one failed AC, I’ve been offered a TC at an international firm in London. Never give up guys.
    This is amazing news - congratulations!

Season 21 Yes GIF by The Voice

• Love
    Reactions: Miki3999

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021

Firms have gone with the times and adopted more inclusive language :)

Reactions: lawcurious
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.