TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Mel Atraghji

Feb 16, 2024
How do people prepare for the written exercises of law firm assessment centres? Are there any good resources you have found helpful. Usually these include drafting an email.
Hi Mike - I can, unsurprisingly, recommend my book on legal writing skills. It's aimed at trainee solicitors, but you should find it useful for preparing for the written bit of assessment centres. (See eg the chapter on writing emails.) The hard copy book is here and the Kindle version is here (free if you have Kindle Unlimited). Good luck!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
@axelbeugre Hi! I was wondering, with your previous reference to connecting with people in the firm before a vax scheme, would it be professionally acceptable to email them using the address found on the firm's website? Many thanks!
Hey,

I do not see any issue with it providing that you explain how you find the contact, who you are and why you are emailing. I do not know if the firm will be okay with it or not though, so I would potentially ask graduate recruitment if you can do that.

I personally tried to speak to future trainees and trainees I connected with on LinkedIn, I never used emails (also because i assumed they would be busy and they would have ignored the email easily).

I hope that is helpful!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Spring W&C, has anyone received the actual contracts yet? Received verbal offer but that was over a week ago with no official documentation received yet
A week isn’t a long time really for these things. If you haven’t heard back by Thursday/Friday next week, give them a call and ask them if they can provide any guidance on the timelines as to when the offer details will be sent.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.