TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

law2022x

Legendary Member
Feb 21, 2022
Sent a chaser email to Milbank asking when we should expect to get AC feedback. Received an extremely generic post-app rejection style email in response. Really disappointing, especially since they came across so well on the day of the AC.
As in you were already rejected and asking for feedback or you asked for an update and they sent a rejection? That’s so disappointing either way and frankly, I haven’t found their graduate recruitment particularly nice either

CorporateCrocodile

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Dec 21, 2022
    As in you were already rejected and asking for feedback or you asked for an update and they sent a rejection? That’s so disappointing either way and frankly, I haven’t found their graduate recruitment particularly nice either
    Asked for an update and they sent me a rejection email. Admittedly, I had already accepted that it was probably a PFO because people had already been given offers around 2 weeks ago but some feedback would have been nice.

kokothemagicdragon

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Dec 23, 2021
    Hi guys, I was asked in a DM about how to convert a VS to TC and this was what replied. Thought I would share - it is all my personal opinion/experience (at US firms btw).

Congratulations on securing the VS! I think the VS to TC conversion comes down to several elements.

First, your attitude! This is probably the most important thing within the process. They are looking for individuals who mesh well with others, are nice to work with. Basically can they stomach you for 10-12 hours a day. Your attitude has to be positive and respectful (especially to those more senior than you) and watch out with negative comments. This will be flagged in your feedback. Don't shit on the work given to you, just smile and do it! Its only 2 weeks and you won't be of much use so the work will probably be monotonous. Same goes for the events set up by GR or socials.

Second, listen carefully to instructions. Those giving you work (supervisor, trainee buddy, etc) have limited time, so listening carefully and having a notebook at hand will help you remember what they have asked you to do, what to watch out for, what you may run into trouble with etc. It also helps you not look like a moron because you forget something and need to ask them again.

Third, be kind to your VS buddies you are all together on the VS and those evaluating you will see how you integrate. Yes you will have d**kheads who are gunning for the role and are selfish and whatever, just remember that they'll probably have a bad overall attitude (point 1) so they won't get the TC anyway. And if they do... then that's the luck of the draw, but having friends on the TC is very important, so better to build bridges. This also goes for group projects and negotiations and what not, make sure to involve everyone. They want to see a team player who is respectful.

Fourth, prepare for you interviews , I understand that the final interview can be stressful, but prepping really helps and you can ask your trainee buddy (or supervisor if you see they are not too busy) for some help or to ask you tricky questions. Don't obviously over prepare since you want to see the forest as a whole and not only singular trees but knowing the ins and outs of various practice groups, prepping questions for the partners and reflecting on the VS as a whole will really help you.

Fifth, work hard! Think of it like a 2 week interview. You'll have a mix of work given to you by your team, by GR for the assessment process or assessments in general (think group presentations, written evaluations, etc.) Each of these will form a part of the larger assessment process, so make sure to work on each as hard as possible. Obviously this point depends on firm to firm, so if your supervisor tells you to go home, go home. But if you're at a firm where this isn't really the case (WEIL lol) work your ass off, plan your days and get to the office early/on time, this will be evaluated. Planning is key, and it leads to effective prioritisation.

Sixth, dress well. Now I'm a guy so I can only speak from my own perspective, but when I mean dress well I don't mean the cost of your clothes or whatever, I am solely speaking about taking care of yourself. It may seem silly but brushing your hair, clean teeth, clean shaven or well groomed beard, neatly pressed shirt/suit and polished shoes can give you the small edge. Everyone is judged by their physical appearance and it would be a shame to create bias against yourself if you don't take care of yourself.

Finally, enjoy yourself. The reason you are doing the VS is hopefully because you want to, so take the 2 weeks as your opportunity to learn as much as possible, meet as many cool people on the VS cohort and the firm and get a feel for if you'd like to work there. You more than talented enough to get the TC so smile, focus and get that job you deserve!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    When answering 'tell me about yourself', should you literally run through your experience or should you take it as an opportunity to do more of a hard sell?
    I’d advise not doing a general run through of your experience - this is going to be far too long or lacking depth of individuality.

Instead I would create structure by highlighting no more than three key themes about you and trying to make those things the elements that either are unique or stand out about your candidacy compared to other candidates. This will help with the “hard sell” element while without it sounding like you are a car salesman.

Miss Chocolate

Legendary Member
    Nov 27, 2023
    Hi, could I please get your thoughts on this? :) @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre

What skills do you think are needed to be a successful solicitor at our firm? (250)
    For this question, I think focusing on 3 skills is pretty good amount given wordcount so that I can elaborate too. I do want to answer the question and not include what it isn't explicitly asking for but there's no "why you/what do you offer to us" question in the application form, so should I use this space to mention where I have demonstrated each skill I think is important?

thank you!

Last edited:
    Reactions: axelbeugre

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi, could I please get your thoughts on this? :) @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre

What skills do you think are needed to be a successful solicitor at our firm? (250)
    For this question, should I focus on what skills are important and why? I think 3 skills is pretty good amount given wordcount. I do want to answer the question and not include what it isn't explicitly asking for but there's no "why you/what do you offer to us" question in the application form, so should I use this space to mention where I have demonstrated each skill I think is important?
    You don’t need to demonstrate your own skills in this question. This question is purely asking about your understanding of the role, particularly at this firm, not your skills.

Aiming for three skills is a good approach given the word count. Make sure this is more tailored to the firm too.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.