TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

Shah74k

Star Member
Premium Member
Oct 12, 2023
They made sure to tell me that applications were considered "holistically" so my written app must have been pretty bad -- but why shortlist me for WG in the first place then lol??
I’d like to know how applications are shortlisted to the WG stage.

If applications are read and ‘approved,’ then what entails a rejection post-WG which scored in the 99th percentile.

3000to1shoteverytime

Distinguished Member
Dec 9, 2023
They made sure to tell me that applications were considered "holistically" so my written app must have been pretty bad -- but why shortlist me for WG in the first place then lol??
It may not have been.

They may have had a benchmark score for written app of eg. 75 but someone who scored 90 and 90 scores higher than 99 and 75 for example. Or indeed this is where they decide someone scoring 99 from Oxbridge scores similarly to someone scoring 80 at a less competitive uni.

Requesting SARs of firms won't win you friends and won't change the outcome. Why put yourself in the position asking for a SAR and confirming to them they made the right choice not offering you a place. I despair of some of the suggestions in here.

It is simply a numbers game with them I suspect getting 4000 applicants or so.

spamelinazoid

Legendary Member
  • Dec 19, 2021
    It may not have been.

They may have had a benchmark score for written app of eg. 75 but someone who scored 90 and 90 scores higher than 99 and 75 for example. Or indeed this is where they decide someone scoring 99 from Oxbridge scores similarly to someone scoring 80 at a less competitive uni.

Requesting SARs of firms won't win you friends and won't change the outcome. Why put yourself in the position asking for a SAR and confirming to them they made the right choice not offering you a place. I despair of some of the suggestions in here.

It is simply a numbers game with them I suspect getting 4000 applicants or so.
    While you are correct, it also isnt good practice for a firm to be doing what FF is currently doing.

People spend hours, days on their applications, practicing WGs etc. working around work or uni. Being told a 98 percentile score isnt enough for you to get through to the next stage without any actual explanation is a bit ridiculous.

Reactions: Wannabe_Lawyer

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker Would you happen to have any insight, since you've had experience on the other end of this process (and specifically for Freshfields)?
    I worked at FBD some time ago now, but the process was to only shortlist to WG based on eligibility - lots of people applied you weren’t eligible for the opportunity (not at the right stage of education or had already applied that cycle).

Then they invited everyone else to take the test. And then weighed up the test alongside the application form.

Screening 2500 applications takes a lot less time than screening 4000 applications, so inviting people to do the assessment will cut application by:

- many candidates not completing the assessment
    - many candidates not meeting the minimum criteria in the test (probably a percentile of around 30-40th)

Then they review all the applications the at did reach the benchmark but holistically look at the test score alongside the application.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: AlexJ and Sharon Wu

shortypie90

Dec 9, 2021
    I worked at FBD some time ago now, but the process was to only shortlist to WG based on eligibility - lots of people applied you weren’t eligible for the opportunity (not at the right stage of education or had already applied that cycle).

Then they invited everyone else to take the test. And then weighed up the test alongside the application form.

Screening 2500 applications takes a lot less time than screening 4000 applications, so inviting people to do the assessment will cut application by:

- many candidates not completing the assessment
    - many candidates not meeting the minimum criteria in the test (probably a percentile of around 30-40th)

Then they review all the applications the at did reach the benchmark but holistically look at the test score alongside the application.
    Ah I see, thanks for replying!

I'm sure the process has changed now as I've applied to Freshfields before and not gotten to the WG stage despite being eligible and I've got friends who've been rejected pre-WG despite being eligible as well. It's just all very puzzling at this stage tbf -- not that I'm planning on submitting an SAR; I'm happy they even responded to let me know my WG percentile as is!

3000to1shoteverytime

Distinguished Member
    Dec 9, 2023
    While you are correct, it also isnt good practice for a firm to be doing what FF is currently doing.

People spend hours, days on their applications, practicing WGs etc. working around work or uni. Being told a 98 percentile score isnt enough for you to get through to the next stage without any actual explanation is a bit ridiculous.
    Yes - me being one of them and getting a PFO post WG too. Having seen the scores here with rejections I am not even asking for my WG score because it makes no difference anyway. But I may reapply next time so will leave all avenues open. Most application forms I have seen ask whether you have applied before and so you can bet your life if you answer honestly yes they will look at the prior application otherwise why ask?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Yes - me being one of them and getting a PFO post WG too. Having seen the scores here with rejections I am not even asking for my WG score because it makes no difference anyway. But I may reapply next time so will leave all avenues open. Most application forms I have seen ask whether you have applied before and so you can bet your life if you answer honestly yes they will look at the prior application otherwise why ask?
    They may not have access to your old application. Their data policy might be woke where they haven’t got this information any more (which might be why they ask the question, as they no longer have a record of it, so need you to confirm whether you have/have not).

3000to1shoteverytime

Distinguished Member
    Dec 9, 2023
    They may not have access to your old application. Their data policy might be woke where they haven’t got this information any more.
    But they may.

Also a SAR costs time and money to the firm. I can't see the point of needlessly pissing firms off. Also if people start doing this willy nilly they will just start having yes piles and no piles without keeping any details and give no feedback

law2022x

Legendary Member
    Feb 21, 2022
    But they may.

Also a SAR costs time and money to the firm. I can't see the point of needlessly pissing firms off. Also if people start doing this willy nilly they will just start having yes piles and no piles without keeping any details and give no feedback
    All I can say is that I did a SAR to a US firm and I definitely would recommend it - I learned a lot about how they mark apps and some things I learned shocked me. For example, this particular firm only adds one mark if you have mitigating circumstances (even if you have several things that have happened across several years) - and they only consider your mitigating circumstances after you reach a certain academic and commercial awareness benchmark. So if your mitigating circumstances affect your academics, then tough luck. Only one mark is added to account for it all.

Firms have thousands of apps, they do need an organised system to assess them. More and more applicants asking for SAR isn’t going to make them suddenly stop taking any notes while assessing apps… that’s literally more of an inconvenience for them than answering a SAR.

And in any case, after spending days on certain apps, I think it is entirely justified to exercise what is a legal right… and I think the firms have enough money.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.