TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

legallybrunette8

Esteemed Member
Sep 9, 2023
Well day's got better - after Russell Cooke PFO, got invite to Irwin Mitchell virtual assessment centre. Nervous as I HATE online!! Any general tips on virtual assessment centres and making the group exercise work?
Hey if anyone has insight into Irwin Mitchell’s AC, pls drop a message :)
congrats both of you!! what office is this for and what service?

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
How long do people usually take to prep for
an AC?
It really is a personal question and it depends on the circumstances, capabilities, and so much more. However, I personally used to spend less than a week, sometimes 2/3 days just because I had so many other commitments to attend too. Other people prepare for weeks and weeks. It also depends on the law firm, some might invite you to an interview the day after the email you and you need to be ready to prepare in a day or less than that sometimes.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hello All - had a technical question about AC written exercises and AC business case studies.

From peoples experience, how long have people had at ACs to read / answer these sections. What is a normal amount of time?

At my recent silver circle firm AC, we got 30 mins total for the written , 15 mins for the business case study (before then going in to chat with partners)

But I’ve heard places give an hour ! What’s the norm ?
It is firm specific unfortunately so there is no standard, some firms do not give you any time to prepare even so it really is a matter of being very adaptable and target your preparation to the different firms and their assessment procedure.

This is why talking to future trainees early on is really useful as you are able to target your preparation to fit that.

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
This is essentially a ''why me'' question and I think it pushes to talk about skills or attributes you have developed along the way, whether through university, extracurricular activities or professional experiences, and how these will help you to succeed as a future trainee.

Personally, depending on the word count, I would talk about 2/3 skills you have developed and link them back to how these will help you as a trainee. For example I used to mention how being a blog editor for the rule of law journal at my university made me develop attention to detail through different tasks. After the description of what I was doing, I included how 'attention to detail' in this case will help me succeed as a future trainee at the firm as I will have to pay attention to different documents and make sure they do not contain any errors and things of this nature.

I basically linked the skill I discussed to the task I would use at the firm. Additionally, you should also include a small paragraph answering the last part of the question, elaborating how these skills differentiate you from other people. For example I would discuss here how my language abilities allow me to interact and build relationships with people from different parts of the world and this differentiates me from other people.

I hope these examples help understanding an approach to the question.

Good luck with the application!
Thank you @axelbeugre

Reactions: axelbeugre

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
I am applying for a in-house role and there are three supporting questions but there is also space to add a cover letter, I was wondering if I should prepare a cover letter too? The supporting questions are asking for my interest in the company and what skills I have that are relevant. If I do include a cover letter how long should it be? And how do I make it different to the supporting question? @Jessica Booker
I personally would prepare one and try to highlight things about yourself or the firm you did not have the chance to. Alternatively, if you did mention everything that you wanted to mention, put more emphasis on things you really want them to be aware of and that would make you a better candidate than the rest.

I think 400 words is probably appropriate for this kind of role, maybe less if you do not have too much to say.

It does have to be different from the other questions, and this can be done by emphasising more certain experiences or traits about yourself that will help you succeed in the role, or mention things you did not, for example awards, prizes etc, as well as more reasons as you would want to work at the firm in question.

Reactions: karennnnnnnnn

holz567

Star Member
Feb 18, 2024
IMG_0528.jpeg

I stumbled upon this on TikTok and wondered if this post was actually accurate as it strikes me as somewhat forced/inane?

I’m not disputing that 1, 3, and 5 are good points, I just think 2 and 4 are weird. How will connecting with graduate recruitment on LinkedIn help you at all? They’re not going to offer preferential treatment, if they remember your name at all, so what purpose does that serve?

Same with 4, unless you have a connection at said firm, what trainee or associate is going to spend their time reading and offering tailored advice to a stranger on their application? When some of these firms receive 4,000 applications, again, why would they offer preferential treatment?

Perhaps I’m being overly pessimistic or am I accurate here?

Sharon Wu

Esteemed Member
Oct 27, 2023
View attachment 5894

I stumbled upon this on TikTok and wondered if this addict was actually accurate as it strikes me as somewhat forced/inane?

I’m not disputing that 1, 3, and 5 are good points, I just think 2 and 4 are weird. How will connecting with graduate recruitment on LinkedIn help you at all? They’re not going to offer preferential treatment, if they remember your name at all, so what purpose does that serve?

Same with 4, unless you have a connection at said firm, what trainee or associate is going to spend their time reading and offering tailored advice to a stranger on their application? When some of these firms receive 4,000 applications, again, why would they offer preferential treatment?

Perhaps I’m being overly pessimistic or am I accurate here?
Number 6: (6a) Start a Tik Tok/Linkedin/Instagram or YouTube page telling people who have been rejected from TCs, how to get TC's even though you may not (when you start the post) have a TC yourself. (6b) Get 10K followers. (6c) Get a TC yourself. (6d) Tell everyone who still hasn't got a TC, (after doing what you suggest and much more), what to do to get a TC except what you actually did to get a TC 😝

Last edited:

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.