TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

Zaidoz10

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 6, 2022
Hi @Jessica Booker I hope you’re having a wonderful weekend. I have two questions regarding an application I’m making to a firm in the Middle East if you don’t mind:

1. The application has two written response questions and they’re “Why are you interested in this position?” And “What interests you in a career at our firm?” These questions are kind of similar so I decided to focus on different points for each one. For the first one, I focused on why my academic and personal background (being from the Middle East and having lived here my whole life) sparked my interest in the firm, the firm’s overall coverage in the region and its training quality. For the second question I focused on 5 of the firm’s practice areas and explained why they interest me and how the firm excels in them and how that all ties to my development as a lawyer. Would you say this is a good approach I am taking? I am trying my best to not be repetitive in my responses as these questions are similar.

2. My second question is regarding the word count. There is no max word limit on the application questions. What is a good range to stay in? I’ve written 600 words for each as of right now. Is that too much? So sorry for the long message. Thank you!

Reactions: O

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker I hope you’re having a wonderful weekend. I have two questions regarding an application I’m making to a firm in the Middle East if you don’t mind:

1. The application has two written response questions and they’re “Why are you interested in this position?” And “What interests you in a career at our firm?” These questions are kind of similar so I decided to focus on different points for each one. For the first one, I focused on why my academic and personal background (being from the Middle East and having lived here my whole life) sparked my interest in the firm, the firm’s overall coverage in the region and its training quality. For the second question I focused on 5 of the firm’s practice areas and explained why they interest me and how the firm excels in them and how that all ties to my development as a lawyer. Would you say this is a good approach I am taking? I am trying my best to not be repetitive in my responses as these questions are similar.

2. My second question is regarding the word count. There is no max word limit on the application questions. What is a good range to stay in? I’ve written 600 words for each as of right now. Is that too much? So sorry for the long message. Thank you!
The position needs to be more about the day job - what is going to interest you about the work and responsibilities you will have for the role you are applying to. While the career needs to be a longer term view of why you would stay at that firm for a good amount of time.

I would try to get your answers to closer to 500 words each if you can.

Reactions: axelbeugre

Fysone

Standard Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2020
Has anyone been able to confirm whether Ashurst's Direct TC deadline on Friday 29 March is noon or 23:59. I know the vacation scheme deadlines were noon, but can't find explicitly that the TC one is. Just don't want to presume its the later finish and miss the deadline.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Has anyone been able to confirm whether Ashurst's Direct TC deadline on Friday 29 March is noon or 23:59. I know the vacation scheme deadlines were noon, but can't find explicitly that the TC one is. Just don't want to presume its the later finish and miss the deadline.
I’d just aim for the noon finish just in case!

Reactions: Sharon Wu

desperateTCseeker1998

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 1, 2023
It says noon on chambers student so I'm going by that just in case

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.