General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZH

Esteemed Member
Nov 14, 2019
I cannot believe I get to say these words, but I have been offered a training contract with Freshfields!!

I have always maintained that the right firm is out there for us all and that we will eventually make it over the line with them when the time is right, and I hope that I can reinforce how truthful this is through my experience! The setbacks and challenges are just paving the way for us to get that all-important "yes" right when you want it the most.

I will be forever grateful to you all for the kindness, encouragement and support you have given me. I also just want to say a special thank you to @Jaysen, @Raam, @Daniel Boden, @Maddie R and @Jessica Booker - you are such wonderful people and friends. I am so excited for this next chapter! :)

Many Congratulations!!!!! This feels like a win on behalf of the TCLA Fam - so happy for you, genuinely happy

• 🏆
  • 🤝
Reactions: Chido, Helena, J32 and 5 others

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018
I cannot believe I get to say these words, but I have been offered a training contract with Freshfields!!

I have always maintained that the right firm is out there for us all and that we will eventually make it over the line with them when the time is right, and I hope that I can reinforce how truthful this is through my experience! The setbacks and challenges are just paving the way for us to get that all-important "yes" right when you want it the most.

I will be forever grateful to you all for the kindness, encouragement and support you have given me. I also just want to say a special thank you to @Jaysen, @Raam, @Daniel Boden, @Maddie R and @Jessica Booker - you are such wonderful people and friends. I am so excited for this next chapter! :)

Congrats Alice! We may see each other in a few years time, if that's how it all lands :)

• 🤝
Reactions: Daniel Boden and Alice G

NMD

Star Member
Feb 17, 2019

This has made my whole week, I remember how down you were from your previous post and this has put the biggest smile on my face !!!! HUGE CONGRATS :)

Shaz

Distinguished Member
Sep 29, 2019

Congratulations Alice! Couldn’t think of anyone more deserving of this than you :D

• 🤝
  • 🏆

DavidJC

Distinguished Member
Dec 29, 2019

Really happy for you! It's been such a tough road and you've continued helping other people along the way it's really hard to think of anyone more deserving!

• 🤝
  • 🏆
Reactions: Daniel Boden, amb98 and Alice G

CL-BD

Premium Member
Nov 19, 2019
Hi everyone, i'm looking to discuss the administration of flybe as a business story of interest in an interview. Does anyone have any tips on what I could say in relation to the role of a law firm in such a scenario? And I guess any general commercial statements I could make.

Reactions: acceleratedlaw

FutureCity

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Dec 23, 2018
Hi everyone - I was invited to an AC with BCLP today. I applied back in early October, so wouldn't give up hope just yet. If anyone has recently attended an AC with them/has any insight for preparing, I would appreciate any help/advice! Thanks a lot.

PM me and I’ll send you

FutureCity

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Dec 23, 2018
Hi everyone, i'm looking to discuss the administration of flybe as a business story of interest in an interview. Does anyone have any tips on what I could say in relation to the role of a law firm in such a scenario? And I guess any general commercial statements I could make.

BCLP is representing them. There are articles online.

AY

Mar 2, 2020
You could always talk about the airline industry in general and why Flybe was given government help instead of other airlines. You could also discuss the impact of other businesses (airports and taxi firms, and people who will travel by train now, and the effect on the economy in various cities the airline services). You could discuss the ambitious business plan of the airline (flying too many aircraft essentially), the opposing business strategies of the last restructuring (looking at virgin and stobart primarily). Law firms could be advising on restructuring of airlines, advising shareholders, etc. Just a thought here I hope what I’ve said is accurate, please correct if I’ve got something wrong :)

• 🏆
Reactions: Alice G

Camilla

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • May 16, 2019

Huge congratulations Alice!! This is such amazing news :D:D:D

• 🤝
    • 🏆

D

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 11, 2018

Go to HSF's website and see if you can find a write-up on it. They acted on behalf of the consortium I believe to save FlyBe. Likely has a synopsis of the issues at play. They ran a talk on it this year at their "Inside the Headlines" event. I probably have some notes jotted down about it.

Pallatablelawyer

Legendary Member
    Jun 12, 2019

This made me so happy ! Wow! Congratulations!

• 🤝
    • 🏆
    Reactions: Alice G and Daniel Boden

cowmoomoo88

Feb 14, 2020
    1. Tbh 99% of people that already have a training contract and paralegal are literally only doing it for the money and to bridge the time before they start their TC. So thanks for stating the obvious.

2. I know this is going to be controversial and trigger the people on this forum that have/are self funding the LPC but it's kinda true. All the people that I know that are self funding have been rejected multiple cycles and are getting desperate so they self fund which I think is a really bad idea. Not to say those that are getting rejected year after year won't make it. Plenty of success stories on this forum of people that have made it after multiple application cycles. However, people need to be realistic and face the truth. Although I really like the supportive environment of this forum, people need to be realistic with their future options and prospects.

Not everyone will share this view but sometimes you have to put yourself in the shoes of a recruiter, especially at firms where competition is fierce and places are limited. I can so see why some firms may think "what's wrong with them", especially if the individual has done multiple vacation schemes and cycles and fails to covert any of them into TC offers.

Not sure what's meant by "be realistic and face the truth".

My view is:

The recruiter can have whatever impression he likes and nobody can deny the recruiter's impression of you makes a difference. But if impressions are what determine life or death then there wouldn't be a rigorous AC process involved. Your ability speaks to the recruiter and is concrete evidence of how good you are, and whether they want you. As someone who's been rejected numerous times I can tell you that after every single rejection I grow and learn significantly, and that going into the next interview, I am much more confident and comfortable, and demonstrate more skill and insight into, for instance, how a law firm works, how I should write advice for a client, and why actually, this particular firm wasn't for me and this firm is.

It might be argued, well, the fact that you were rejected so many cycles you have to fund your own LPC kind of suggests even if you've been growing you're really struggling to hit the mark. But no, that's assuming that everyone HAS experienced that many cycles. Some might have only started applying in their final year (after having had other experiences in their penultimate year, then turning to a career as a City lawyer).

And with regard someone who said "funding your own LPC is a really bad idea" - indeed, perhaps it may be better strategy to take a gap year before the LPC, and accumulate some work experience to beef up the CV as well as to get a wider perspective on the world, then re-apply and hopefully land something. But that's assuming people don't have visa expiry issues. Just something to bear in mind.

So, in summary, what I want to share with everyone is:

1. I agree with Daniel that one shouldn't limit oneself to a certain tier of firms - but that's quite another thing to say "face the reality".
    2. With the strategy that Daniel suggested, you will land something, so go for it, then build your career from there.
    3. There's no shame to not get into a certain firm because they have a prejudice against self-funders. Are you sure you believe in such a judgmental culture, when you are judged for your past and not on your present merits?
    4. Let's not worry about what recruiters think because the hiring process can be very arbitrary and unfortunately the "you self-fund your own LPC" is only one of many arbitrary reasons you may be seen in a certain light. It can also be "you have a stutter", or "I had a bad breakfast and I don't like you." So why worry? Just focus on doing your best.

Roland

Distinguished Member
    Jan 10, 2019

Big Congratulations Alice!!! Reading all the lovely congratulations messages here just shows how much you deserve it!!

• 🏆
    Reactions: J32 and Alice G

wwood

Distinguished Member
    Jan 19, 2019

OH MY GOSH ALICE I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!! You've come such a long way!!! Freshfields is an amazing firm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 🏆

Soliha

Distinguished Member
  • Sep 19, 2018

Huge congratulations, Alice! You deserve it!

• 🏆

Maddie R

Esteemed Member
    Jan 10, 2019

I am SO proud, you deserve this and everything these past two years has led you to this moment! I have no doubt that you will be one of Freshfields' finest trainees!

• 🏆

Paul - Shearman & Sterling

Legendary Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Nov 5, 2019

Congratulations @Alice G! Really pleased for you. All your hard work has paid off.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.