2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

M1999

Legendary Member
Nov 28, 2019
Hi everyone, could anyone advise me if there is a point now applying to firms which recruit on a rolling basis? :(
Please do. Yes it is true that some firms do give places earlier, but for one, I’ve noticed this recruitment cycle is slightly slower understandably with COVID-19, not a lot of ACs have even been given out and a lot of ‘rolling’ firms still say they won’t tell you until after the deadline. Also, the majority of people will apply within one week of the deadline. Just to put that into perspective!
Every time I’ve got further in an application, it’s always been a rolling app that I submitted ‘late’ on. People told me I didn’t have a chance and if I listened to them I wouldn’t have got to that. If you want to apply to the firm and it’s within the deadline, do it :)

Kablahc

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    Hi everyone, could anyone advise me if there is a point now applying to firms which recruit on a rolling basis? :(

Do it!!! For firms with deadlines in January, there's still a month to go which is PLENTY of time :) Ive seen people saying that they've applied to firms the day before the deadline and still got to the next stage. If you're a great candidate they'll always look at you !! :)

Kola

Legendary Member
    Sep 27, 2020
    Just realised I fucked up my Gowling application lmao. Didn't read their confirmation email because I thought it was just a generic one. Turns out there was a link to the RARE recruitment thing that I had to complete within 48 hours. They said they would get back to me on the 17th if I was successful and I haven't heard anything back so...!

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Just realised I fucked up my Gowling application lmao. Didn't read their confirmation email because I thought it was just a generic one. Turns out there was a link to the RARE recruitment thing that I had to complete within 48 hours. They said they would get back to me on the 17th if I was successful and I haven't heard anything back so...!

Mistakes happen - and I'm shook cause I've never seen a firm have their RARE questions outwith the main application.
    This is just one firm - there are plenty out there. Keep going and don't beat yourself up

• 🤝
    Reactions: ZaraB, Jaysen and Kola

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2020

I'd submit it anyway and hope for the best. Not sure if you should bring it to their attention (so maybe wait for other users to comment too) but I'd do it anyway!

Hopefully it works out!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Kola

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2020
    Has anyone got any tips for the Reed Smith research questions? :)

I just got the research questions and it's a bit... archaic? to complete the questions (within 5 days) and then send it to them via email in a PDF....? What's the point of the apply4law portal haha.

They seem pretty succinct apart from the last one. Some of their applicable core values are integrity and teamwork for the last question. That, and using your own experiences will help you answer!

Good luck!

frog

Star Member
    Dec 11, 2020
    Hey, filling out the form was voluntary so I wouldn't worry too much unless it would have impacted your application then may be worth emailing? Yesterday they told me they are still going through applications so we wont hear back till early next week instead of the 17th.

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    I just got the research questions and it's a bit... archaic? to complete the questions (within 5 days) and then send it to them via email in a PDF....? What's the point of the apply4law portal haha.

They seem pretty succinct apart from the last one. Some of their applicable core values are integrity and teamwork for the last question. That, and using your own experiences will help you answer!

Good luck!
    To be honest, I prefer this way because I tend to spend way too long on my app answers so this gives me the kick I need. Thankyou though! Did you get resent the email yesterday too? Does that mean the deadline is now the 22nd or still the 21st..

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    It was voluntary, I hadn’t completed it either until I realised it was too late. I think they wouldn’t say it was voluntary if it wasn’t, I don’t think they can force you to do forms like that is purely just to help the firm

Reactions: ZaraB, OB and Kola

Kola

Legendary Member
    Sep 27, 2020
    Hey, filling out the form was voluntary so I wouldn't worry too much unless it would have impacted your application then may be worth emailing? Yesterday they told me they are still going through applications so we wont hear back till early next week instead of the 17th.

I hesitated because the email said 'as part of this [recruitment] process' which seemed rather at odds with the 'voluntary' part. The fact that I didn't receive anything from them on the 17th only confirmed this, but it's good to hear that I may have a chance, thanks!

• 🤝
    Reactions: frog and ZaraB

SouffléSouffléSoufflé

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Mar 17, 2020
    Hi all, I've been invited to complete Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner's online test. All I've been told is that "The test is a strengths based assessment and will contain a number of scenario based questions, testing candidate’s situational judgement and critical reasoning".

Does anyone have any general advice? I'm a bit nervous about the mysteriousness of it all!

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Hi all, I've been invited to complete Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner's online test. All I've been told is that "The test is a strengths based assessment and will contain a number of scenario based questions, testing candidate’s situational judgement and critical reasoning".

Does anyone have any general advice? I'm a bit nervous about the mysteriousness of it all!

From what I can remember, its like a SJT and then a small WG :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.