2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

jan28

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 12, 2019
Just had the most awful interview experience. It was my first ever interview, and I just flopped. You know when the words that leave your mouth don't match up to the ones in your head? The interviewers were lovely but I just felt sorry for them to be honest for having to listen to my waffle. Anyone had this experience before? Or any tips to try and forget about it and move on (inevitable PFO pending!)?
Many of us have experienced this I'm sure! Once, I realised I was waffling and quickly said 'so to answer your question' and I could swear the interviewer gave a little sigh of relief 😂

Andrew M

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Jan 7, 2020
Just had the most awful interview experience. It was my first ever interview, and I just flopped. You know when the words that leave your mouth don't match up to the ones in your head? The interviewers were lovely but I just felt sorry for them to be honest for having to listen to my waffle. Anyone had this experience before? Or any tips to try and forget about it and move on (inevitable PFO pending!)?
If it helps, I felt this way about an interview I did on an assessment centre and I ended up getting a VS invite "on the strength of" my interview. I also had a VI which I visibly cringed at myself, and got through to the next stage. Sometimes we aren't a good judge of how things went. 😅

Reactions: cmaj and G P

Andrew M

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Jan 7, 2020
what I actually want to know is why I haven’t been congratulated on all my PFOs?
Well Done Bravo GIF by Friends

E.A

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer
Dec 11, 2019
Mayer Brown PFO post telephone interview. Got to the AC before with a lot less experience and didn't really know what I was doing at the time. On days like today I do not get this process whatsoever. It honestly feels like a game of luck and it's so demotivating. I wish I could know the answer as to why not, like why then and not now?!

33c

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
M&A Bootcamp
Aug 8, 2020
Completed a TC interview for a certain tech-focused US firm (think VC) in September, the rejection only came through in December. Immediately emailed back to ask for feedback and only got a response yesterday to organise a feedback call for today. Call was confirmed for 2pm, only for me to be ghosted.....again.....

If you don't laugh you'll cry...

GK8997

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 25, 2020
Mayer Brown PFO post telephone interview. Got to the AC before with a lot less experience and didn't really know what I was doing at the time. On days like today I do not get this process whatsoever. It honestly feels like a game of luck and it's so demotivating. I wish I could know the answer as to why not, like why then and not now?!
Honestly try not to be too hard on yourself, this cycle has been so so competitive compared to before, more firms are receiving more than 50% extra applications so it may just be the most minute thing that becomes the deciding line, Mayer Brown has also definitely become more competitive over the years, since I last got to the telephone interview 2 years ago they have added another stage to their app process! And this round I still haven't heard back after months because they've been so swamped so honestly it isn't you it's the situation!

lozza_2

Distinguished Member
Nov 25, 2019
Completed a TC interview for a certain tech-focused US firm (think VC) in September, the rejection only came through in December. Immediately emailed back to ask for feedback and only got a response yesterday to organise a feedback call for today. Call was confirmed for 2pm, only for me to be ghosted.....again.....

If you don't laugh you'll cry...
I have experienced something similar... I had a TC interview at the start of March 2020 for a magic circle firm in which I was rejected. I have requested for feedback multiple times and each time they reply they are ‘too busy at the moment’ to give feedback and will get back to me in due course (doubtful). Very annoying considering how much time I invested prepping for the interview and they can’t even be bothered to give me a few sentences of how I could improve / where I fell short so I can improve for the future!

GK8997

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 25, 2020
I still haven’t heard back from Mayer Brown post online tests. I even emailed them on Monday but no word. What should I do??😥
I'm in the same position (minus the email), I think last time someone emailed they said they were swamped and they seem to have given out a batch of telephone interviews a few days ago so hopefully they'll get back to us soon!

• Sad
Reactions: John Travoni

sam970

Distinguished Member
Feb 23, 2021
It’s fine mistakes happen haha the fact you acknowledge it aswell I appreciate! I applied mid January 😊 good luck with your application x
Thank you, I felt so horrible when I realised 😓 haven’t heard anything from them either so I’m expecting my PFO soon enough! Good luck with the rest of your applications, I hope you get some good news!! 😊X

• 🤝
Reactions: Legalmel_99
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.