Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
It literally ONLY says “We would like to ask you to send us a short video recording (no more than 3 minutes) presenting on a topic of your choice. Happy for you to get as creative as you wish, we are not looking for a formal PowerPoint presentation. A recording on your phone is perfectly acceptable.”
no more!
I did a history undergrad so I was thinking about that.
I was also thinking about something that crossed over the two. My dissertation was on ‘the tyranny of the majority’ in the 19th C with regard to Alexis de Tocqueville and John Stuart Mill, who both keep cropping up in law! An idea I had was to discuss the extent their principles are relevant /prevalent now. I saw a quote somewhere that ‘21st C law needs 21st C solutions’, so thought that it could incorporate that! Does that sound ok? Thanks!
My advice would be to try and pick something outside of your degree. Your degree subject is kind of a safe option and something they will expect you to be able to talk about. It would be more interesting to see what else there is about you rather than just your degree. Try to think of something that shows a different dimension to you.

Matt_96

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    Yes, there was quite a lot to process. It was a real challenge getting through it and producing something decent in the time limit. Hoping I did enough. We will see. Had a lovely interview though!

Yes, same for me! My interviewer was such a nice guy. I got the distinct feeling it might have been his first time interviewing (although he didn't say) but I wasn't sure.

Reactions: CareerChanger

JayC

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 8, 2021
    Anyone still waiting to hear back from Gibson or Orrick for 2022 TC?
    I am not waiting on this but I’m sorry to see that you and others are in this position. Were they supposed to be funding the GDL for your cohort starting this year and would they be able to do it retroactively?

ibs97

Legendary Member
    Jan 20, 2020
    Out of curiosity, do people recommend only applying to around 10 firms that you really love or trying to apply to like 25+ ? I'm trying to plan ahead for next cycle
    I did close to maybe ~30 apps since september? I ranked firms in order of priority to me and spent the most time on those and the others were more churned out but i found that once i nailed down answers to the key questions that come up often (why commercial law/recent news story etc) and found a general format for why this firm/cover letters that worked for me, apps took less time because i was able to adapt my answers relatively easily.

E.A

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 11, 2019
    I am not waiting on this but I’m sorry to see that you and others are in this position. Were they supposed to be funding the GDL for your cohort starting this year and would they be able to do it retroactively?
    Hi, I'm not entirely sure as I am a graduate and that wouldn't apply to me. All I know is that I applied May 2020 and am yet to hear back as they are reviewing them still apparantly which is .. frustrating.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Got a call from Travers this afternoon inviting me to the partner interview! From what I understand there are quite a few spots left on the latter two schemes so if you haven't heard back I wouldn't worry just yet 🤞
    It is really annoying like I have given up on Travers because I have attended over 10 events with them since 2019 and I applied in early December if you get what I am saying then you will understand my frustration.

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    I did close to maybe ~30 apps since september? I ranked firms in order of priority to me and spent the most time on those and the others were more churned out but i found that once i nailed down answers to the key questions that come up often (why commercial law/recent news story etc) and found a general format for why this firm/cover letters that worked for me, apps took less time because i was able to adapt my answers relatively easily.

Yeah I agree with this so much. Having a strategy for applying is very important, even if it isn't an obvious one. My priorities were 1) how soon was the deadline 2) did it have an online test (all WG tests are a no from me) 3) how easy were the questions and 4) is it good for disputes (what I want to do).

Then I did the same as you and just rehashed the same info over and over again in different ways, in paragraphs of various lengths etc etc. And over time, my apps definitely got better, so I expect more from my later apps than I do from the earlier ones, which unfortunately were some of the better firms!

33c

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Aug 8, 2020
    Wow, that's impressive! What do you think the biggest difference in your apps has been from last year?
    It seems obvious but I made an effort to relate everything back to me! In my previous apps, I really only listed impressive aspects about the firm. Its so important to expand on why the firm's high-profile clients, sectoral focus, small/large teams, on-the-job/structured training will mean for your development and satisfaction at work. If you mention a deal, which I often do, make sure to explain what that reflects of the wider firm and what kind of opportunities that will provide you with.

Also, when it comes to listing extracurriculars, give statistics or evidence of outcomes. For example, if you were the editor of a publication, how many articles did you contribute to? How many writers did you manage? I think this helps the reader to visualise your impact!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.