Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    After several rejections post-interviews at other MC firms, I finally received a TC offer from CC!

The application process is both mentally and emotionally draining. Don't get disheartened when you receive a rejection; use it as a way to improve and further develop yourself. Take in the feedback and change your interview strategy based on what they say. For instance, a feedback I received after a rejection was that my answers for some motivational-esque questions (why law, why commercial law, why the firm) were too formulaic and rehearsed. After talking to several seniors, I decided to change my entire approach and give an interesting example and/or story for each question asked. I tried cracking a few jokes in the interview to make the interviewers laugh; it helps with the rapport-building too. And it worked! It makes you more personable and likeable. Interviewers (especially partners) are looking for someone who can fit into their firm culture rather than someone who knows all the answers.

For instance, at the CC Competency interview, I spent the first 10mins talking about the interviewer's area of practice and asked her to explain it to me in a simple way. I tried giving interesting examples when she asked the competency questions: proudest achievement (climbing a mountain), teamwork (playing in a guitar ensemble), resilience (getting lost in the jungle and finding my way out). We ended up having a very pleasant conversation!

To be a good interviewee, it's always nice to remember the name of the person who interviewed you and send them an e-mail to thank them for their time. It won't help your application necessarily but it's one way to build a connection with them should you eventually get the scheme!

Good luck to everyone on this forum!! you just need one

Well done Raphael. I have to say - your application was one of the strongest apps I've reviewed. A little cheeky, but if you had any advice to share on how you learned to write a good application, it would be great to hear!

Naomi

Esteemed Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 14, 2018
    I'm so happy for you, you've worked so hard especially juggling full-time work! You totally deserve this, congratulations!

Excellent news, well done!

I'm very happy to hear that Naomi, well done! One of many I'm sure.

Oh Naomi, this is FANTASTIC news especially given how you thought your telephone interview went! All the best on your vac scheme- I'm sure you'll smash it!!

SOOOO HAPPY for you Naomi! Well done! Congratulations!!

Well done Naomi! It's inspiring to have witnessed you go through the whole process to see that you've pulled it off! Hope you have a great time on the Vac Scheme :)

I completed the MB online tests this morning so hopefully it'll be positive news after I hear back from them!

Congratulations Naomi!

Huge well done Naomi! Absolutely delighted for you! First of many I am sure :)

Thank you all so much!! You've all been so supportive, it means such a lot :)

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Rejection from Shearman! I messed up by leaving two non-law experiences checked under the “law related” box — a mistake apply4law makes very visible. So I was expecting this outcome.
    You are a brilliant candidate and I am absolutely rooting for you. You have some amazing firms that you still have in the pipeline and these things happen for a reason, or so I believe at least. Keep going and have faith in the process. You will get there!!

Helena

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Any idea when Grad Rec make their phone calls/send rejection emails - morning, afternoon? I always feel the later it is in the day the less likely it is to have a positive outcome? Those who have had VS/TC offers, when did they come?

datguyak

Esteemed Member
    Nov 20, 2018
    Any idea when Grad Rec make their phone calls/send rejection emails - morning, afternoon? I always feel the later it is in the day the less likely it is to have a positive outcome? Those who have had VS/TC offers, when did they come?

My Post ac rejections were emails in the morning received at 8am and 11am

Salma

Legendary Member
    Feb 28, 2018

Helena,

I think it really depends on the firm, what I have noticed from my own experience is that post 5pm, I usually receive rejections and pre 5pm, I usually get offers.

Last edited:
    Reactions: JL and Helena

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    I got my Hogan Lovells invite late afternoon and my Shearman one in the morning so I think it genuinely is a case of contacting when they have made a decision. I also got my Shearman offer via a phone call at 5pm too so I don’t think the timing in the day bears much in the way of outcome if I’m honest, but that’s been my personal experience :)

Reactions: Helena
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.