General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammy Watkins

Mar 23, 2020
Anyone have a list of a few good questions to ask grad rec at the end of an interview? I was going to ask about secondment opportunities and firm's next strategy but I assume they won't be pleased and would expect us to already know about secondments which is on their website.

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Anyone have a list of a few good questions to ask grad rec at the end of an interview? I was going to ask about secondment opportunities and firm's next strategy but I assume they won't be pleased and would expect us to already know about secondments which is on their website.
    A good one I like to ask recruiters if the firm has done a number of lateral hires over recent years is 'how do you ensure that the firm's culture is maintained and not perhaps diluted with new lawyers coming into the firm?' or words to that effect.

To gradrec particularly, asking them about what feedback opportunities are available for a trainee and what qualities they believe make a good trainee could be good to know.

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    it's always good to try to pay as much attention as possible when the people interviewing you introduce themselves (easier said than done when nervous so try to consciously do so) and try to ask them genuine questions you wish to know about their practice areas or their careers. Maybe they moved laterally and, if so, do not ask them about why they left their other firm (would definitely avoid this!) but you could ask them what attracted them to the firm you are interviewing at and what has made them stay. This can often segway into other interesting questions about the firm which you can organically ask on the spot. I also think you can show commercial awareness with this. I had a funds lawyer in one interview and just that morning the news reported a development in the Neil Woodford case and I was able to ask a bit about that. If you are choosing to take the commercial awareness route, ensure you have actually got a decent idea of the news story or subject and don't ask overly complex stuff. It can be easy to fall into a trap of using complex language and ideas and your interviewer not then understanding what you are asking. You could also get caught up in a relatively complex discussion which you might feel out of your depth in. If you feel like you can do this and do it well, then absolutely do have the confidence to :)

Jade

Aug 30, 2018
    I know this is slightly hysterical. But are any future trainees concerned about their training contracts? Is it reasonable to be worried?

All this talk of the pending recession being worse than 2008 has me going a little cray

• 🤝
    Reactions: Ravenclaw

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    I know this is slightly hysterical. But are any future trainees concerned about their training contracts? Is it reasonable to be worried?

All this talk of the pending recession being worse than 2008 has me going a little cray
    I have felt a little bit like this, yeah. However, @Jessica Booker really reassured me and I am trying to keep in mind how the markets are cyclical and can be turbulent in their nature. Whilst the pandemic was unexpected and is devastating and has affected the markets in a way that could not be foreseen, a market downturn and a recession was anticipated so I hope that firms are maybe just seeing more counter-cyclical work at this time and maybe were better prepared than the 2008 crash. Sorry I cannot be anymore reassuring than that because, like I say, I share your worries and concerns.

Reactions: Ravenclaw

Ravenclaw

Standard Member
    Jan 21, 2020

Hey, I have a TC offer so understand the hysterics haha. Definitely not unreasonable to worry but your mental health will likely suffer worrying about these things that you can not control.

I have been reading articles in the legal press many of which are claiming this could be worse for the legal industry than 2008. However ultimately no one will know, only time will tell-which I understand is incredibly frustrating advice! :(

• 🤝
    Reactions: Alice G

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

I wouldn’t expect people to know secondments as they aren’t always the same and not always advertised on the website (maybe highlights one or two at best)

but it’s quite a superficial question - I think it would need to be framed better.

they key for questions at the end of the interview:

• Don’t think there is a list of questions to ask (there isn’t)
    • If you are trying to impress, don’t
    • Focus on what you want to learn so you can make sure this is the right decision for you
    • Try to avoid vague or basic questions - try to tailor it to you

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

when is your TC due to start?

c1070

Esteemed Member
    Mar 4, 2020
    At a direct TC interview, is it likely for them to ask ‘why didn’t you apply to our vac scheme?’ If so, does anyone have any suggestions on how to answer?

The real reason is they’re quite a prestigious firm I didn’t think theyd take a second look at me for lack of experience/some dodgy GDL grades but after securing 2 vac schemes at competitor firms I gained a bit of confidence and essentially thought why not!!

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    At a direct TC interview, is it likely for them to ask ‘why didn’t you apply to our vac scheme?’ If so, does anyone have any suggestions on how to answer?

The real reason is they’re quite a prestigious firm I didn’t think theyd take a second look at me for lack of experience/some dodgy GDL grades but after securing 2 vac schemes at competitor firms I gained a bit of confidence and essentially thought why not!!
    if you have done the two previous vac schemes, then just say you have been able to consolidate your decision that this is the best career path for you and if you attended an event at the firm, just say you got a great sense for the firm and culture at the event so didn't feel the need to undertake a vac. I have never been asked this and honestly doubt they would do but tbh I think giving a frank and honest answer is absolutely fine. I did two vac schemes before applying for direct TCs and always went to events with firms before applying to gain a sense of their culture so this would be my honest response :)

To stay true to your answer you could just say the vac scheme experiences have also given you greater confidence in your ability to make a great trainee and think you can more confidently apply for direct TCs now?

I think honesty is the best way to answer but you can leverage that honesty and work it in a way that can be a really strong answer and actually give some insight into you, your character, and what makes you unique :)

c1070

Esteemed Member
    Mar 4, 2020
    if you have done the two previous vac schemes, then just say you have been able to consolidate your decision that this is the best career path for you and if you attended an event at the firm, just say you got a great sense for the firm and culture at the event so didn't feel the need to undertake a vac. I have never been asked this and honestly doubt they would do but tbh I think giving a frank and honest answer is absolutely fine. I did two vac schemes before applying for direct TCs and always went to events with firms before applying to gain a sense of their culture so this would be my honest response :)

To stay true to your answer you could just say the vac scheme experiences have also given you greater confidence in your ability to make a great trainee and think you can more confidently apply for direct TCs now?

I think honesty is the best way to answer but you can leverage that honesty and work it in a way that can be a really strong answer and actually give some insight into you, your character, and what makes you unique :)
    Thanks so much!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

fairly legitimate and reasonable question to ask. You can spin what you have said into a more positive manner - saying you knew you didn’t have the most competitive application and therefore wanted to wait until you did until you applird

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Would be September 2021

I’d be more concerned if you said September 2020.

At the moment anything is possible, but the same could be said for anyone who is in employment in the firm too. But I put a post on here to say whey I thought future trainees were probably one of those at less risk than others, and that won’t change even if things get worst

Reactions: Jade

Velikilawyer123

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 37
    Mar 4, 2020
    Yes - if you don't apply, you can't be recruited - its as simple as that.

There is no one size fits all approach to whats happening.

Plenty of firms are looking at applications (if they are still recruiting for those vacancies). Some will hold off and will look at applications later in the cycle (but many would do that anyway!!)

There is absolutely no logic in ignoring a backlog of applications and only accepting new ones. If anything the better logic would just be to close applications and focus on the ones you have.

Thanks so much, that makes a lot of sense! Guess it's back to application drafting then.

Velikilawyer123

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 37
    Mar 4, 2020
    I think that if you have the time to make an application then I would probably advise you to do so. I know that there is uncertainty but firms do still have to hire and people are still getting online AC invites so I think many HR teams are trying to continue as normal as best as they can.

Though I have never worked in grad rec or HR, I can confidently say that I do not believe that firms would cast aside applications in favour of new ones coming in when things have calmed down. Like I say, I imagine business is continuing as best as possible and things are more than likely ticking over behind the scenes in terms of app reviews and it may just mean that ACs and interviews are postponed or held online until circumstances become more certain. I have also seen many law firms share on Instagram that they are using video conferencing to keep in touch which is another slight reinforcement that teams are still working as usual, but just from home for the time being.

Thanks Alice, that makes a lot of sense!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.