Spontaneous TC Journey

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    Weekly spreadsheet update✨

3 firms have ghosted me; Mofo, SH and Mayer Brown (TC).

I’ve also decided to share my pending application list. I may or may not apply to these depending on if I actually get a VS 🤞

*Some of the complete by dates are my own deadlines not the firms*

Currently doing my Howard Kennedy hope to submit by the end of next week :)

It’s been 2 weeks since my Simmons AC and no news 😓

I have nightmares every night of a Goodwin pfo 🤣🤣 it’s actually quite concerning 😳

Anticipating a PFO from AG, HL and Shoosmiths next week!

IMG_1561.jpeg

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    • 47 Rejections
    • latest rejection - BBC
    • Hardest rejection - Pinsent + BBC
    • Easiest rejection - DLA piper
    • Ghosted me - Stephenson Harwood :(
    • Best graduate recruitment - Simmons + Farrer & Co
    • Tedious Application process - BBC + Linklaters
    • AC invites - 4
    • Applications remaining - 9

Yeah I knew this week was going to be bad when my manager decided to give me xtra hard work to test my problem thinking today.

4 stages to BBC recruitment and that’s not even the end! Test, VI and 2 written assignments plus an AC. Ridiculous with no feedback! 1000 word essay and no feedback.

I’ve given up with anymore applications this cycle soo pointless

Sharon Wu

Esteemed Member
    Oct 27, 2023
    • 47 Rejections
    • latest rejection - BBC
    • Hardest rejection - Pinsent + BBC
    • Tedious Application process - BBC + Linklaters
    • AC invites - 4
    • Applications remaining - 9

Yeah I knew this week was going to be bad when my manager decided to give me xtra hard work to test my problem thinking today.

4 stages to BBC recruitment and that’s not even the end! Test, VI and 2 written assignments plus an AC. Ridiculous with no feedback! 1000 word essay and no feedback.

I’ve given up with anymore applications this cycle soo pointless
    SH is ghosting everyone...lol
    We are all still in with a chance :)

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    • 47 Rejections
    • latest rejection - BBC
    • Hardest rejection - Pinsent
    • Tedious Application process - BBC (App, Test, VI + written task, 1,000 word written task + AC if you're lucky)
    • VS offers - Goodwin
    • AC invites - 4
    • Applications remaining - 8
    Super happy to get a Goodwin VS today! Honestly so many nightmare have been had about getting a rejection from this firm.
    It is such a surreal feeling having made it this far in my first cycle as a graduate i really thought the odds were against me especially as i am non RG.

I really do owe this to soo many on the forum! Many have given me tips, advice on commercial awareness, AC advice, ranting on various things or even just messaging to see how i am and how my applications are going. The community on here is unmatched and definitely wouldn't be in the position without you guys and Jaysen for setting it up lol.

Decided i will be treating myself to a getaway and have booked a trip to Sweden for day next weekend lmao

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    • 47 Rejections
    • latest rejection - BBC
    • Ghosted me - Stephenson Harwood + Mofo :(
    • Tedious Application process - BBC (App, Test, VI + written task, 1,000 word written task + AC if you're lucky)
    • VS offers - Goodwin + Farrer & Co
    • AC invites - 4
    • Applications remaining - 7

Farrer VS! Very unexpected as I felt like I didn’t stand by my points enough in the group assessment but I guess me talking and bringing in new ideas worked!

Simmons are still Ghosting me post AC🤧 just give me the PFO😭

Might I add if you’re feeling down about your applications and struggling to make it past testing stages you are not the problem i think most of us pass these tests but they just gotta cut the numbers down. some might even be nice enough to say you pass but don’t progress you (Cough cough HSF) I’ve ”failed” soo many tests for firms it’s ridiculous I feel like they don’t capture your true ability imo! Both offers I have are from firms who did not include tests in their applications. My strong point is interviews and I never got to a lot of them due to being sifted out by a WG,VI or SJT. I do believe you can be the best candidate and you get hit with blended assessment and your journey at that firm is done.

Anyway…..Very unsure of what to do as the Farrer VS is 2 weeks long and I would still need to do a TC application which sucks after 2 weeks tbh. I also work full time and my Goodwin VS would be the following week after Farrer so that’s 3 weeks off work that I defo can’t do 😢 how do I even tackle this!?! I told my line manager today about Goodwin as she’s been asking for updates (she’s super supportive) but I didn’t say when it was. My actual manager probs won’t give me time off and will tell me to use annual leave 😡 but I don’t mind doing unpaid leave as I get paid from both VS although much lower than my pay.
    I think I need to sleep on this decision as I don’t want to close doors that are open but I don’t want to take this opportunity away from someone else too! It’s pretty hard working full time this is such a stupid thing to complain about tbh.

would appreciate anyones insights on how they would tackle this situation lol

EDIT:I have just seen that person post about ppl with multiple offers and that they complain and I am sorry if this offends you! I’m not fussing in the slightest I wanted insight but I do understand what you mean as I’d roll my eyes at those ppl who posted stuff like that haha. If this is insensitive happy to delete this post!

Last edited:

Sharon Wu

Esteemed Member
    Oct 27, 2023
    • 47 Rejections
    • latest rejection - BBC
    • AC invites - 4

Farrer VS! Very unexpected as I felt like I didn’t stand by my points enough in the group assessment but I guess me talking and bringing in new ideas worked!

Might I add if you’re feeling down about your applications and struggling to make it past testing stages you are not the problem i think most of us pass these tests but they just gotta cut the numbers down. some might even be nice enough to say you pass but don’t progress you (Cough cough HSF) I’ve ”failed” soo many tests for firms it’s ridiculous I feel like they don’t capture your true ability imo! Both offers I have are from firms who did not include tests in their applications. My strong point is interviews and I never got to a lot of them due to being sifted out by a WG,VI or SJT. I do believe you can be the best candidate and you get hit with blended assessment and your journey at that firm is done.

Anyway…..Very unsure of what to do as the Farrer VS is 2 weeks long and I would still need to do a TC application which sucks after 2 weeks tbh. I also work full time and my Goodwin VS would be the following week after Farrer so that’s 3 weeks off work that I defo can’t do 😢 how do I even tackle this!?! I told my line manager today about Goodwin as she’s been asking for updates (she’s super supportive) but I didn’t say when it was. My actual manager probs won’t give me time off and will tell me to use annual leave 😡 but I don’t mind doing unpaid leave as I get paid from both VS although much lower than my pay.
    I think I need to sleep on this decision as I don’t want to close doors that are open but I don’t want to take this opportunity away from someone else too! It’s pretty hard working full time this is such a stupid thing to complain about tbh.

EDIT:I have just seen that person post about ppl with multiple offers and that they complain and I am sorry if this offends you! I’m not fussing in the slightest I wanted insight but I do understand what you mean as I’d roll my eyes at those ppl who posted stuff like that haha. If this is insensitive happy to delete this post!
    I'm very happy for you. You've put in the work. The 47 rejections were likely hard to take as any rejection is.
    You could do both VS's, but would you be too tired for the Goodwin VS? That is the one that leads to a conversion and so thats the one to focus on.
    I personally think I would do both, but thats because I've never done one. I would even take the week in-between off to rest, do some research and make sure I was on form for my Goodwin VS. In fact, I've done this before. I quite my job for a month, so I could do my exams at uni. My manager wouldnt give me the time off, so I quit. They couldn't find anyone who was as knowledgeable as me in the month, so they called me after my exams and offered me the same job but on more money (Like £2 more an hour, but its the small wins).

Yea, its hard when people are 'moaning' about multiple VS's, but its moreso when they are in their first cycle. However, I know of people who have done 4 VS's and not converted any, and now they have to explain that on their application. So its not easy for everyone. Everyone still has to work hard. Even on the TC. And to be kept on once the TC has been completed.

Good Luck whatever you decide. Keep us posted.

Last edited:

Aga123+

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Aug 2, 2021
    • 47 Rejections
    • latest rejection - BBC
    • AC invites - 4

Congratulations on getting two VS offers - It is clear your hard work and perseverance paid off! (Loved reading your updates)

You'll probably decide what option is best for you and your situation, but here's my two cents:

I did a vac scheme at a US firm last cycle - it was a really gruelling two weeks and I definitely was unprepared for how full-on it would be. I would say as long as you'll be well prepared for both schemes, go for both--- I know someone who did five MC/US vac schemes last year (across spring and summer) and got offers from each, whereas my friend did two summer schemes (at US firms) and converted neither - she was completely worn out from doing two back-to-back schemes. So honestly, I think success will only depend on how prepared and ready you are for both schemes (mentally and physically).

I'm sure whatever you decide will work out for you!

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    I'm very happy for you. You've put in the work. The 47 rejections were likely hard to take as any rejection is.
    You could do both VS's, but would you be too tired for the Goodwin VS? That is the one that leads to a conversion and so thats the one to focus on.
    I personally think I would do both, but thats because I've never done one. I would even take the week in-between off to rest, do some research and make sure I was on form for my Goodwin VS. In fact, I've done this before. I quite my job for a month, so I could do my exams at uni. My manager wouldnt give me the time off, so I quit. They couldn't find anyone who was as knowledgeable as me in the month, so they called me after my exams and offered me the same job but on more money (Like £2 more an hour, but its the small wins).

Yea, its hard when people are 'moaning' about multiple VS's, but its moreso when they are in their first cycle. However, I know of people who have done 4 VS's and not converted any, and now they have to explain that on their application. So its not easy for everyone. Everyone still has to work hard. Even on the TC. And to be kept on once the TC has been completed.

Good Luck whatever you decide. Keep us posted.

Congratulations on getting two VS offers - It is clear your hard work and perseverance paid off! (Loved reading your updates)

You'll probably decide what option is best for you and your situation, but here's my two cents:

I did a vac scheme at a US firm last cycle - it was a really gruelling two weeks and I definitely was unprepared for how full-on it would be. I would say as long as you'll be well prepared for both schemes, go for both--- I know someone who did five MC/US vac schemes last year (across spring and summer) and got offers from each, whereas my friend did two summer schemes (at US firms) and converted neither - she was completely worn out from doing two back-to-back schemes. So honestly, I think success will only depend on how prepared and ready you are for both schemes (mentally and physically).

I'm sure whatever you decide will work out for you!

Wow thanks guys/girls/humans defo gonna look into it! I would be doing vac schemes 2-19th April for both of them so pretty full one like you’ve said. Well done @Aga123+ on your VS last year.

Will talk to my line manager on Monday to get her views on it and then face my main manager following Monday as she’s on holiday next week. This will allow me to weigh up unpaid leave with annual leave if needed. Luckily I live in London so no extra cost for accommodation Just TFL robbing me everyday for the tube😅😂

Last edited:

Miss Chocolate

Legendary Member
    Nov 27, 2023
    • 47 Rejections
    • latest rejection - BBC
    • AC invites - 4

So happy for you 😭🥰 This is so very well deserved. We love seeing a queen thrive 💫

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    • 48 Rejections
    • latest rejection - Shoosmiths
    • Best graduate recruitment - Farrer & Co
    • AC invites - 4
    • Applications remaining - 6
    Thought I’d post this before my spreadsheet update!

Reactions: Sharon Wu

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    Weekly spreadsheet update ✨
    IMG_1571.jpeg

Decided to not include my direct TC apps as I don’t know if I’ll submit them anymore. I might do my Howard Kennedy one as that’s half completed.

Happy to get Hill Dickinson assessment invite, feels like I applied months ago lol. Should hear back from WBD 25th March, my post test feedback was decent but VI not so much!

I called AG for an update so should hear back next week (they’re still doing AC’s) crazy. Also called Hogan and she said she’d call me back but it’s after 7pm so I doubt it.

Haven’t got a Kennedys VI so patiently waiting 4 months since I applied.

Simmons Simmons Simmons ughhh 3 weeks post AC no news I’ve called and it’s gone to voicemail and I just want to know if I got it or not lol. I understand they’re busy but 3 weeks is torture. I thought I did pretty good too so the waiting game continues.

Feeling super proud this week and the support is unwavering! I need to add some of you lovely people on LinkedIn as my connections are pretty whack lol

ohnoselim

Esteemed Member
    Dec 21, 2023
    Weekly spreadsheet update ✨
    View attachment 5875

Decided to not include my direct TC apps as I don’t know if I’ll submit them anymore. I might do my Howard Kennedy one as that’s half completed.

Happy to get Hill Dickinson assessment invite, feels like I applied months ago lol. Should hear back from WBD 25th March, my post test feedback was decent but VI not so much!

I called AG for an update so should hear back next week (they’re still doing AC’s) crazy. Also called Hogan and she said she’d call me back but it’s after 7pm so I doubt it.

Haven’t got a Kennedys VI so patiently waiting 4 months since I applied.

Simmons Simmons Simmons ughhh 3 weeks post AC no news I’ve called and it’s gone to voicemail and I just want to know if I got it or not lol. I understand they’re busy but 3 weeks is torture. I thought I did pretty good too so the waiting game continues.

Feeling super proud this week and the support is unwavering! I need to add some of you lovely people on LinkedIn as my connections are pretty whack lol
    i just stalked your whole page and damn from a stranger to another u did that, you've honestly given me inspo to keep applying PROUD OF UUUU

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    I’m in my first application cycle and have received only rejections so far but this thread has really motivated me to keep going! So happy for your success, really well done!

Please could you share more details of how you track your applications/research of law firms? Thanks a lot
    Thank you! I’m happy it’s motivated you to keep going, we’re all in this together for sure.

I use excel to creat an application tracker and categorised it into, Name, Job, London. NQ salary, Applied and the process I’ve undergone.

I also colour code:
    Yellow = applied/still in the running
    Blue = Pending (not applied yet)
    Peach = Withdrew, didn’t complete test/interview
    Red = Rejected

(I have my rejections on another page to my current apps as It’s bad vibes lookimg at those all the time lmao)

it‘s soo much easier for me to acknowledge how I’ve progressed with an application if I can see it in this format and it allows me to be more grateful. If another person messaged me more information such as when I applied to a firm I can also answer as I have the dates handy.

In terms of Research i’d say mines was very bad I didn’t do as much as I should’ve into it as I was just throwing apps out at the start. However my research for interviews I use chambers student, chambers and partners, legal cheek, firms LinkedIn and any early career social Medias they have (HFW have a good one). I find it easier to research if I know what I’m looking for. There are specifics I would like a firm to offer/have and I’d check they have them and how they implemet those things e.g. international secondment, diversity and trainee seat allocation. I like firms that don’t have a mandatory seat requirement as it allows me to explore more especially if they do 4x6 structure (But I’d always pick at least 2 in the firms key sectors).

I really do live by Ziplaw for trends and cases in the legal/commercial world. Legal cheek is also great as they do posts about firm retention, trainee views etc.

If I were to restart my cycle all over again with the knowledge I have now I feel like I would’ve passed more applications and would’ve applied to more US firms. But as it’s my first cycle I was hesitant to do that.

Once again I‘m waffling 😅 I swear anyone that messages me instantly regrets it as I just send paragraphs I can’t stop typing haha

Hope this helps

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Thank you! I’m happy it’s motivated you to keep going, we’re all in this together for sure.

I use excel to creat an application tracker and categorised it into, Name, Job, London. NQ salary, Applied and the process I’ve undergone.

I also colour code:
    Yellow = applied/still in the running
    Blue = Pending (not applied yet)
    Peach = Withdrew, didn’t complete test/interview
    Red = Rejected

(I have my rejections on another page to my current apps as It’s bad vibes lookimg at those all the time lmao)

it‘s soo much easier for me to acknowledge how I’ve progressed with an application if I can see it in this format and it allows me to be more grateful. If another person messaged me more information such as when I applied to a firm I can also answer as I have the dates handy.

In terms of Research i’d say mines was very bad I didn’t do as much as I should’ve into it as I was just throwing apps out at the start. However my research for interviews I use chambers student, chambers and partners, legal cheek, firms LinkedIn and any early career social Medias they have (HFW have a good one). I find it easier to research if I know what I’m looking for. There are specifics I would like a firm to offer/have and I’d check they have them and how they implemet those things e.g. international secondment, diversity and trainee seat allocation. I like firms that don’t have a mandatory seat requirement as it allows me to explore more especially if they do 4x6 structure (But I’d always pick at least 2 in the firms key sectors).

I really do live by Ziplaw for trends and cases in the legal/commercial world. Legal cheek is also great as they do posts about firm retention, trainee views etc.

If I were to restart my cycle all over again with the knowledge I have now I feel like I would’ve passed more applications and would’ve applied to more US firms. But as it’s my first cycle I was hesitant to do that.

Once again I‘m waffling 😅 I swear anyone that messages me instantly regrets it as I just send paragraphs I can’t stop typing haha

Hope this helps

Very impressed by this thread. Well done on Goodwin :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: Legalstalker and Sharon Wu

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.