TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

bibss

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Nov 28, 2020
How long do slaughters take post interview?

also I applied early sept and had my interview today if anyone’s wondering lol
I hope you hear good news soon! When did they invite you to interview? I only applied 2 weeks ago, so I'm preparing for a long wait lol

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
For the Clifford Chance (middle east) TC application, I know they say CVs and cover letters will not be reviewed but does anyone know if applicants have to upload academic transcripts and references in the 'additional documents' section? Just not sure what to upload in that section or what is needed...
Hi @MA98, I'm really not sure about this! My best guess is that transcripts should be fine to upload but my instinct tells me that it's best to confirm this from grad rec so that you don't end up uploading anything that isn't necessary.

Reactions: SS21

B A

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Dec 4, 2020
Hi @Jessica Booker I applied for the Freshfields Spring 2024 TC and completed the WG over the weekend. They just sent me a rare recruitment form to fill out my a-level grades and socioeconomic background (they said this was sent late due to tech issues). Due to this delay will this put me at a disadvantage for securing a AC?

Thank you!
I got the form just now as well but received an AC invite earlier today, so it seems like everyone received it late. I wouldn't worry about it.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
for CC's TC application, should i mention any incoming vacation schemes? would it be advantageous / disadvantageous?
I would include a short reference if you can - I can't see why it would be a disadvantage unless the work was completely different (e.g. in human rights law)

divaination

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 31, 2022
    I would include a short reference if you can - I can't see why it would be a disadvantage unless the work was completely different (e.g. in human rights law)
    it's weird that they specifically ask if I had completed a vacation scheme before and if they offered me a TC, i am not sure whether disclosing it is good or not

keepmewherethelightis

Star Member
    Oct 4, 2021
    Hey!

I did the CC WG yesterday, and a couple of things did not go as per what the WG invite mail says:

The mail says- "To start the test please log into the Clifford Chance application centre, via the link below, with the username and password used to submit your application. Please ensure you use the same email address that you used to submit your application otherwise we will not receive your result." I did not have to put my login credentials, and the test started straightaway.

Also, the mail says- "At the end of the test, once the timer has finished there will be some equal opportunity questions. You do not need to answer these, but you do have to go through this section and then click submit or your test score will not register. You will not receive a notification or email confirming the test has been submitted. There will be a pop up on the web browser saying, 'thank you for your response' and you should take this as confirmation of your test submission." I did not receive any equal opportunity questions. However, I directly got the "thank you for your response" web page.

I haven't received the test report from CC until now. If I open the link again, it says that the form is already submitted. I'm p sure I'm overthinking - but I do I need to email gradrec about these things not going the way mentioned in the email?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    it's weird that they specifically ask if I had completed a vacation scheme before and if they offered me a TC, i am not sure whether disclosing it is good or not
    That is only for schemes you have completed though rather than upcoming schemes. You should disclose any internships/vacation schemes completed - it is better to have them on your application than not, even if you didn’t convert them to a TC.

edenA

Oct 6, 2022
    Hi just after a little bit of advice.

This is my first round of applications and I’m coming from a non law uni background - so my focus has been on vac schemes.

Alongside this I also applied to law firms for assistant/paralegal roles, which I’ve now secured so I am now also considering applying for direct TCs with firms that I’ve either missed their VS deadline or ones that have a slightly later deadline, so I can apply after my round of VS applications.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of a comment or forum that lists what firms recruit a decent amount from the direct TC and also ones that have a later deadline (most of my vs applications are due during jan so ideally after then).

Thank you so much!

gw9

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 28, 2022
    Hi just after a little bit of advice.

This is my first round of applications and I’m coming from a non law uni background - so my focus has been on vac schemes.

Alongside this I also applied to law firms for assistant/paralegal roles, which I’ve now secured so I am now also considering applying for direct TCs with firms that I’ve either missed their VS deadline or ones that have a slightly later deadline, so I can apply after my round of VS applications.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of a comment or forum that lists what firms recruit a decent amount from the direct TC and also ones that have a later deadline (most of my vs applications are due during jan so ideally after then).

Thank you so much!
    These threads might help!

Reactions: legallybrunette22

traineesolicitor123

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 16, 2022
    SLAUGHTER AND MAY INTERVIEW INVITE! A huge thank you to Jessica and the entire TCLA community for all your help :)

Please DM if you have attended the Slaughter and May AC in the past and have any tips. Thank you!

I also had a few questions about the process -

1) Slaughter and May is currently taking interviews too. Since my interview is scheduled for March and offers are rolling, will that put me at a disadvantage? [March was the earliest slot I could pick]

2) I was planning to submit 6-7 more applications until February. However, Slaughter and May is one of my top choice firms, so I do not want the application writing to hamper my interview preparation. How many applications would you recommend writing? And would you recommend focusing on just the interview or continuing to write applications too?

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.