TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

-as-above-so-below-

Standard Member
May 30, 2022
Hello everyone! I was wondering if it is appropriate to name drop someone in a cover letter/firm application? In particular, I've had the opportunity to meet and talk to a partner who is working in an area that I am strongly interested into, and whose journal article I used in my dissertation. Overall we had a great conversation and I was obviously very enthusiastic about it but I am scared of mentioning his name and more inclined to use 'a partner'.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello everyone! I was wondering if it is appropriate to name drop someone in a cover letter/firm application? In particular, I've had the opportunity to meet and talk to a partner who is working in an area that I am strongly interested into, and whose journal article I used in my dissertation. Overall we had a great conversation and I was obviously very enthusiastic about it but I am scared of mentioning his name and more inclined to use 'a partner'.
The name-dropping here is fine because its actually quite specific (e.g. the link to your dissertation and your interest in the subject). The interesting part is actually that, rather than the partner's name, but it just makes sense to include the partners name given the specific aspects of it.

Reactions: -as-above-so-below-

mkap

Star Member
Dec 8, 2022
I am a bit confused how to interpret the following question:
Please outline the reasons why you wish to pursue a career in commercial law at Osborne Clarke.

I was wondering would I need to talk about my motivations for pursuing a career in commercial law first then discuss why I chose Osborne Clarke.

sdsou

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 31, 2021
Hello, could someone please clarify the best way to write out education in Freshfields' application form? Should it be chronological (starting with senior secondary) or reverse chronological (most to least recent)? The form itself just states "Education 1", "Education 2", etc and the guidance on the form is as follows: "Please check / enter your education details, ensuring to include your secondary / higher education"

Would greatly appreciate any guidance, thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello, could someone please clarify the best way to write out education in Freshfields' application form? Should it be chronological (starting with senior secondary) or reverse chronological (most to least recent)? The form itself just states "Education 1", "Education 2", etc and the guidance on the form is as follows: "Please check / enter your education details, ensuring to include your secondary / higher education"

Would greatly appreciate any guidance, thank you!
I don’t think it really matters as long as it’s in an order and not mixed up. I think you could argue that either chronological or reverse chronological are appropriate.

I’d probably lead with the strongest - for instance, my A-levels are pretty average but my degree results are strong, so I’d probably lead with that first and go backwards. That might not make sense for someone who hasn’t completed their degree though.

Reactions: sdsou

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
For the Freshfields cover letter/personal statement, is it ok to break it up using sub-headings? eg. Why Law, Why Freshfields etc
@Jessica Booker
You can break it up, but I often find the subheadings aren’t really needed as signposting. Include them and then critically evaluate your writing and consider whether they add anything to your statement or whether the sections are pretty obvious anyway without them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.