TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

WannaLaw99

• Jan 8, 2023
    I don't think it necessarily means you are not suited to the firm. What are you struggling with specifically? Is it that you don't feel you have examples of having to "drop everything" to deliver a promise or can show when you have been innovative/entrepreneurial?

There isn't a TCLA dictionary unfortunately.

Often acronyms relate to a firm's name (e.g. CMS - is International law firm CMS | United Kingdom)

AC = assessment centre
    PFO = forum slang for receiving a rejection (Please f*ck off)

Don't be afraid to ask if you ever want clarity on terminology though - everyone in the forum is very happy to help people on their learning journey.
    Thank you for all the encouragement Jessica :') Yes, it's exactly those questions! I haven't started a business, nor have I gathered enough work/life expereince to have relevant stories :(
    I've considered using more personal stories, relating to supporting my friends through difficult times. What do you think?
    On that note, would you recommend using stories where I didn't succeed in balancing delivering a promise with my other commitments? As long as I write down the lessons I learnt/ what I would do differently.

Thanks for clarifying the acronyms too (LOL at PFO)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you for all the encouragement Jessica :') Yes, it's exactly those questions! I haven't started a business, nor have I gathered enough work/life expereince to have relevant stories :(
    I've considered using more personal stories, relating to supporting my friends through difficult times. What do you think?
    On that note, would you recommend using stories where I didn't succeed in balancing delivering a promise with my other commitments? As long as I write down the lessons I learnt/ what I would do differently.

Thanks for clarifying the acronyms too (LOL at PFO)
    You don't have to have started a business to be innovate or entrepreneurial. Maybe you found a creative solution to a problem, maybe you find a new way of doing something that made a process more efficient or led to better outcomes? It doesn't need to be from work experience - it could easily be from your extra curricular activities or academics.

The same goes for having to drop everything to keep a promise. Did you offer your time to a friend/family member and then it was at a really buy period of your life? Did you take on extra shifts in a part-time job to earn some extra money and then found it challenging to balance your other commitments?

I would try to find an example of where you did balance delivering the promise - I don't think it will really sell the skills you have otherwise.

Reactions: WannaLaw99

WannaLaw99

• Jan 8, 2023
    You don't have to have started a business to be innovate or entrepreneurial. Maybe you found a creative solution to a problem, maybe you find a new way of doing something that made a process more efficient or led to better outcomes? It doesn't need to be from work experience - it could easily be from your extra curricular activities or academics.

The same goes for having to drop everything to keep a promise. Did you offer your time to a friend/family member and then it was at a really buy period of your life? Did you take on extra shifts in a part-time job to earn some extra money and then found it challenging to balance your other commitments?

I would try to find an example of where you did balance delivering the promise - I don't think it will really sell the skills you have otherwise.
    Those are good ideas; will have to do some thinking and find a way to apply them. And I hear you; it would be good to find an example where I was able to balance the two.
    Thank you so much, you've really been helpful :')

Reactions: Jessica Booker

jnice

Distinguished Member
    Nov 19, 2020
    Do law firms send acceptance emails to all successful candidates at once, or can successful candidates hear back at different times?
    Successful candidates will hear back at different times - post-AC for one firm, I heard back the same day, for another firm I heard back three days later. For that second firm, I know someone else who heard back the next day.

Reactions: Zaidoz10

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Do law firms send acceptance emails to all successful candidates at once, or can successful candidates hear back at different times?
    I would expect it to be staggered for most firms. Some may do blocks of offers, but considering they will have people decline the offer, they will typically need to top those offers back up once people have declined.

Zaidoz10

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 6, 2022
    I would expect it to be staggered for most firms. Some may do blocks of offers, but considering they will have people decline the offer, they will typically need to top those offers back up once people have declined.
    Thank you for your response. What about when hearing if you have made it to the AC or not? Is it staggered or do they send the AC invites at once?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you for your response. What about when hearing if you have made it to the AC or not? Is it staggered or do they send the AC invites at once?
    Again, most likely to be staggered for the same reasons - some people won't book in for interviews/assessment centres and they will need topping up.

sxw517

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    I'm currently filling out the Vinson & Elkins application form, for their Direct Training Contract, and one of the requirements is 60 and over in all 1st-year undergraduate modules.

I satisfy this criterion... I completed a four-year course and I have now graduated, however, in one of my final year modules, I received a rogue 59.

To me, this requirement seems as though they may place importance on 60 and above in later years if they do in the first year.

Has anyone had success progressing through to the VI stage with the firm with one anomaly of 2.2?

P.S. I scored 67 overall in my degree, so a solid 2.1, I'm just wondering whether I would be spending time on an app that may go nowhere.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.