TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abii

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 1, 2021
Not sure if someone can offer an insight on this, but are trainee solicitor salaries negotiable? I’ve noticed that a couple of the firms I want to apply to for a TC are offering a much lower salary than what I’m on now (I’m an experienced paralegal), which, hypothetically, if I secured one to start in a couple years etc, I‘m going to be very financially strained, more so than I already am. I want to apply to these firms but at the same time, I’m not sure if it’s sensible to if it’s going to stretch me too thin. For context, these are medium sized firms that are fairly reputable. If anyone can offer some insight on this that would be much appreciated!
Usually they are not negotiable. Especially if they have several TCs available a year because all trainees are paid the same - you are being offered the salary for the role you are applying for not the one you have. Sucks but I’m in the same boat taking a pay cut from my paralegal salary to my TC salary next year, I’m going to a US firm that’s pays the higher end of TC salaries. Long term though it’s a couple years pay cut for a much higher earning potential going forward as I’ve pretty much hit the paralegal salary ceiling now.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Not sure if someone can offer an insight on this, but are trainee solicitor salaries negotiable? I’ve noticed that a couple of the firms I want to apply to for a TC are offering a much lower salary than what I’m on now (I’m an experienced paralegal), which, hypothetically, if I secured one to start in a couple years etc, I‘m going to be very financially strained, more so than I already am. I want to apply to these firms but at the same time, I’m not sure if it’s sensible to if it’s going to stretch me too thin. For context, these are medium sized firms that are fairly reputable. If anyone can offer some insight on this that would be much appreciated!
I have never heard of a TC salary being negotiable where there is more than one trainee being hired. If it is an adhoc trainee programme with one hire every now and then, there could be some wiggle room. But as soon as you are part of an intake, the salary is set.

Reactions: LegalC

Cryingtiger

Valued Member
Dec 11, 2020
Hi @Jessica Booker , when answering the question on a commercial news story and how it relates to the firm, should we avoid common major topics in the news as graduate recruitment may be bored of reading the same thing? Thanks in advance.
Would like to know the same! Re the Silicon Valley Bank? Is it a good idea to write about this topic?

Thank you @Jessica Booker 😊

Reactions: Momo

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Would like to know the same! Re the Silicon Valley Bank? Is it a good idea to write about this topic?

Thank you @Jessica Booker 😊
I think you should try to know a bit about this topic just in case you are asked specific questions about it, but I personally wouldn’t use it as a story to talk about if you are asked to pick a story because it is so predictable. Everyone will be talking about it.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker , when answering the question on a commercial news story and how it relates to the firm, should we avoid common major topics in the news as graduate recruitment may be bored of reading the same thing? Thanks in advance.
It depends on what you are focusing on. Most of the time the big headline stories that are predictable are either too big a story to do justice in an interview or have lots of sub-stories within them. Focusing on smaller parts of it (eg how it’s impacting a certain sector/industry/country etc) might be ok as it’s more unique. But just talking about such topics broadly is likely going to make you sound like a significant proportion of other applicants.

Its your opportunity to show your unique interests/knowledge, so I’d try to go in with that mindset rather than a topic where you’ll probably be expected to have some knowledge/opinions/thoughts on the matter anyway (because it is so high profile).

Zaidoz10

Valued Member
Premium Member
Jan 6, 2022
Hey guys, I coach a U17 boys football team and was wondering if this would be worth talking about in applications to firms? If so, any idea what transferable skills to law I can maybe talk about?

ds

Standard Member
Nov 7, 2022
anybody got any tips for Russell-Cooke interview? :)
it says it will be a getting-to-know-you style interview but I imagine it will still be tough because its for direct TC! any advice would be amazing

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hey guys, I coach a U17 boys football team and was wondering if this would be worth talking about in applications to firms? If so, any idea what transferable skills to law I can maybe talk about?
Yes, definitely something to include somewhere in an application. It really depends on what skills you think it has developed in you - things like time management, leadership, communication skills, empathy, influencing all come to mind with that type of role, but it really depends on what you think you have gained/developed from it.

LegalC

Star Member
Aug 23, 2022
Usually they are not negotiable. Especially if they have several TCs available a year because all trainees are paid the same - you are being offered the salary for the role you are applying for not the one you have. Sucks but I’m in the same boat taking a pay cut from my paralegal salary to my TC salary next year, I’m going to a US firm that’s pays the higher end of TC salaries. Long term though it’s a couple years pay cut for a much higher earning potential going forward as I’ve pretty much hit the paralegal salary ceiling now.
Thank you for your insight! I thought that was the case and best of luck moving to the US firm. I’m still trying to weigh it up as to whether I’d be able to afford the pay cut with mortgage, bills etc. I think it would be worth it but at the same time, it’d be a really difficult squeeze for those 2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.