TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Hi guys, I am currently drafting my application for the direct tc at K&L Gates and am struggling with these two questions:
  1. Why have you decided to pursue a career as a solicitor? What other options did you consider seriously and why did you choose not to pursue them? Does it mean why have decided to become a commercial solicitor (why commercial law) and what options have pursued?
  2. Why do you feel you are suited to K&L Gates LLP? Does it mean what qualities and skills do you have to succeed at this firm?
Thank you in advance for your help!

Reactions: wz_13

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Hi guys, I am currently drafting my application for the direct tc at K&L Gates and am struggling with these two questions:
    1. Why have you decided to pursue a career as a solicitor? What other options did you consider seriously and why did you choose not to pursue them? Does it mean why have decided to become a commercial solicitor (why commercial law) and what options have pursued?
    2. Why do you feel you are suited to K&L Gates LLP? Does it mean what qualities and skills do you have to succeed at this firm?
    Thank you in advance for your help!
    For question 1 - You could link to any modules in your law degree if you are a law student that led your interest to a solicitor. You could also discuss any volunteering or extra curriculum stuff that led you to a career as a solicitor.

For question 2 - You could talk about your skills like teamwork, attention to detail and etc. Then discuss how these skills will make you succeed at this firm.

Hope this is helpful but this is how I would approach it so my advice might be different to others.

Reactions: S87

leaaa2023

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jun 27, 2023
    Hey, when did you hear back? I haven’t heard back yet.. also do you know if they send out first round interview invites in batches or should I assume it’s a PFO? Thanks
    Hello! I wish I knew more information to give you, but tbh, I wouldn't assume it's a PFO. I did some research and they conduct telephone interviews in mid-late July and ACs in Early August. I think there are only 2-3 Graduate recruiters in the London office, so they are probably beginning to move along, it's likely you could receive emails throughout the week!

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Hi! I have a feedback call tomorrow after an unsuccessful AC.

Does anyone have any advice on how I can make the most out of the feedback call? Thank you
    I think make a list of where you might've gone wrong to ask how you performed in each part of the AC, perhaps ask what they wanted to see, what would've made your responses stronger, maybe technique points for written tasks/group exercises to see if there's anything you can tweak. Perhaps ask if you can reapply in the next cycle and how the process works for that. Definitely try and get as many concrete points as possible to improve for the next one (could also be a potential competency question of bouncing back from rejection etc!)

Mike Wazaoski

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 12, 2018
    Hi! I have a feedback call tomorrow after an unsuccessful AC.

Does anyone have any advice on how I can make the most out of the feedback call? Thank you
    • Keep a pen and paper with you to make all the notes
    • Ask them the criteria you were marked against
    • Ask what you can do to work on the feedback areas
    • Request a DSAR (my favourite)*: You can go to the firm's privacy policy to find details of the privacy inbox email address to request a DSAR. Under the GDPR and UK DPA 2018 you can submit a Data Subject Access Request requesting a copy of the personal information associated with your application (This includes a copy of detailed assessment centre and interview observation notes, for you specifically)

Mike Wazaoski

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 12, 2018
    Does anyone know the standard response time for Orrick from the application stage to the interview/AC stage?

Wondering to contact grad recruitment for a rough timeline but also conscious that might just make them hate me.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker, just had a quick question. What’s the protocol for following up with a firm after a Vac scheme? How long should I wait after the scheme has ended to wait for results? And if it’s past that period what’s the best way to ask for an update? Phone, email or through my trainee buddy? Thanks!
    The amount of time can vary massively. If the firm did not make it clear to you when you would hear back, then email them asking for details of when you will hear back. This should be through graduate recruitment/your HR contact rather than your buddy.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker would resitting a module on the LPC have a strong negative impact on an application to White & Case? Despite having good undergraduate grades for example. Or would they look at the application holistically?
    I don’t know the specifics for White & Case. I wouldn’t expect one module to weigh that heavily though. The only issue is if the firm has a general policy for sponsored trainees that they have to pass the LPC on first sitting, as they are likely to apply the same policy to self-funders too

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.